Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Barracks Designations  (Read 554 times)

Hokan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Barracks Designations
« on: July 18, 2010, 12:28:54 pm »

I'm a fairly experienced player, but I've never been able to decode this myself.

What do all of the barracks designations do? I understand sleep and train, but I'm not sure about the rest.
Valuing life seems too close to an aesthetic rule for me, I think.
Only in Dwarf Fortress is the value of life placed as "aesthetic."

Bronzebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Barracks Designations
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 01:27:54 pm »

Nobody's responded yet, so I guess I'll give it a crack, but I'm not sure nor do I think a lot of people are:

Sleep and train are self explanatory. There's only another two, Indiv Eq and Squad Eq. Being that barracks can be created from coffers and chests and that dwarves are supposed to be able to store their equipment away when they're off duty, I'm guessing that these are designations with which to micromanage where a given dwarf or squad of dwarves keep their equipment (e.g., this chest will be for this dwarf, this one for that one, etc.). As I understand, though, this is, like many facets of the military system, bugged and not really relevant unless you really want your soldiers to keep their stuff in a given chest apart from the standard armory room with a weapons, armor and ammo stockpile and/or you've somehow decreed through scheduling that soldiers really put their things away anywhere, which they don't do on their own anyway.

If anyone knows better, though, jump in.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 01:39:51 pm »

I'd like to know this as well. My guess was always that it had something to do with individual combat drills/squad sparring, but that was a pure shot in the dark. (I've only been playing since 31.03ish, so I've never known any other military system)
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 02:16:32 pm »

Nobody's responded yet, so I guess I'll give it a crack, but I'm not sure nor do I think a lot of people are:

Sleep and train are self explanatory. There's only another two, Indiv Eq and Squad Eq. Being that barracks can be created from coffers and chests and that dwarves are supposed to be able to store their equipment away when they're off duty, I'm guessing that these are designations with which to micromanage where a given dwarf or squad of dwarves keep their equipment (e.g., this chest will be for this dwarf, this one for that one, etc.). As I understand, though, this is, like many facets of the military system, bugged and not really relevant unless you really want your soldiers to keep their stuff in a given chest apart from the standard armory room with a weapons, armor and ammo stockpile and/or you've somehow decreed through scheduling that soldiers really put their things away anywhere, which they don't do on their own anyway.

If anyone knows better, though, jump in.

I assumed everything you say is whats right. So hope that helps. Some one correct us if were wrong.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz