Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it possible to mod a bolt so it gets set on fire when it hits?  (Read 1521 times)

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile

Or at least when blood touches it.

Mitbick

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell Dwarf Fortress without autism.
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to mod a bolt so it gets set on fire when it hits?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 02:30:50 pm »

The only thing that comes to mind is making the bolt out of something so hot that it ignites the target, but that leaves the problem of handling the ammunition whenever it's not flying towards your enemies. Possibly with fire-proof quiver, crossbow and gloves?

Someone more experienced will have to answer.
... Then try to figure out what to do with an entrance that's permanently on fire.

ronnyfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 04:28:36 pm »

never tried it myself, but could you make the material the bolt is made of basic temp something just colder than blood, then set its ignite temp to bloods temp? (dont actually remember the tags names, sorry)

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 04:34:58 pm »

Remember all the possible variables. The only constant you'll have is under ground temperature. 10015 I believe. Temperature for creatures can vary... quite a lot.

Safely handling these 'hot rounds' could be more danger than they are worth. I'm pretty sure there are a couple threads relating to making heat and cold weapons. If you search you should be able to find em.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

andfhe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 01:51:42 am »

Remember all the possible variables. The only constant you'll have is under ground temperature. 10015 I believe. Temperature for creatures can vary... quite a lot.

Safely handling these 'hot rounds' could be more danger than they are worth. I'm pretty sure there are a couple threads relating to making heat and cold weapons. If you search you should be able to find em.

You know What? I searched for them. And you know what I didn't find? Them. I DIDN'T FIND THEM. I feel betrayed. That's why you don't trust people you don't know. If you don't trust them, you can't be betrayed. A lesson we should all learn.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 01:59:28 am »

never tried it myself, but could you make the material the bolt is made of basic temp something just colder than blood, then set its ignite temp to bloods temp? (dont actually remember the tags names, sorry)

just set it to body temperature. insulate yourself and it should be fine.

andfhe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 02:10:17 am »

Y'know what would be better than flaming bolts? Flaming axes.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 02:18:35 am »

I've heard that wooden arrows/bolts fired through a Magma Curtain/Waterfall ignite in mid-flight. They then can ignite their targets upon hitting.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 02:35:44 am »

The problem is (if that works) the hard way to make it :).

You can make fire bolts and arrows for adventure mode. Check the "fire bolt" and "fire arrow" in Genesis adv. mode spellcraft. You have to throw/shoot it as soon as possible though because it starts to burn your hand.

When it hits, the blood boils in a cloud.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

andfhe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 02:49:15 am »

For fortress mode just follow these instructions to make a material that burns or melts at anything above 75 degrees, like goblin blood, without burning your hands.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63618.new#new