Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A new way to make that good site perfect!  (Read 1510 times)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
A new way to make that good site perfect!
« on: July 18, 2010, 10:46:48 am »

Well new to me at least.

It lets you change a specific stone/soil type of a site, though there will be some changes to how evil/good alingements get places.

Discovered it by finding a realy neat site (a brook source right next to a mountain and a taiga that briefly defreezes in summer) but was realy annoyed at the soil type being loam. I like to make glass, lots of it.

So wondering how I could go about replacing this vile loam with sand, I thought the game might pick its soil types depending on the order they show up in the raws, and not their actualy names. So I opened the soil raws, and moved the sand raws to just above the loam raws. Regenerated the world, and voila! Yellow sand. The bummer was that my evil taiga turned neutral. History also seems to have taken a few different turns as there is more 'offloading units' which usualy seems to be roughly the number of surviving worldgen characters.

I havnt tried this more then once, so it may be coincidence. But at the very least I can let you make the worldgen re-randomise stone/soil types without changing the geography.

Edit: tried again with black sand and that worked just fine.
Edit 2: swapping some other soil types just made the forrest good alinged... curses.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 10:56:11 am by Grimlocke »
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A new way to make that good site perfect!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 11:03:33 am »

You can just add the [SOIL_SAND] tag to your soil in the raws. No regen needed.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 01:40:37 pm »

Now someone should try that with flux stone.

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 07:18:10 am »

Now someone should try that with flux stone.
You can just open DF\Raw\Objects\inorganic_stone_layer.txt and add "[REACTION_CLASS:FLUX]" to whichever stones you want to use as flux.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 09:52:42 am »

I just find the idea of making glass from a bag of loam a bit weird. It worked with flux stone too.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 12:37:38 pm »

That's great news!  No more (well, not as many anyway) "almost perfect but not quite" sites.  I'd been making duplicates of limestone, dolomite, and chalk to up the chances of getting them, and removing the ocean floor tag for limestone.

Now, if only we could find a way to convert ig and met layers to sed layers...
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 05:19:38 pm »

The payer types are allmsot entirely related to volcanism. Lots of volcanism means you get ignous, medium means you get metamorphic, low means you get a sedimentary top layer. Fiddling around with the variation and the mesh things can eliminate most of the annoying ignous-only issues.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 07:21:20 pm »

You can just open DF\Raw\Objects\inorganic_stone_layer.txt and add "[REACTION_CLASS:FLUX]" to whichever stones you want to use as flux.
I know about this, but this is too much of cheating and hurts immersion.
I'd prefer to just have dolomite/magnetite layers at the site.