Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Today I've had lots of fun!  (Read 1619 times)

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Today I've had lots of fun!
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2010, 05:17:28 pm »

Strange, my entire military wears bronze armor and they do fine. Ofcourse I do handle the situation with a bit of strategy. When out in the open I try and flank the enemy by luring them in, when outnumbered I like to bunch up in a small corridor to make sure they can't flank me etc. Handled this siege in a small corridor forming a wall of bronze and axes, just cutting their front line down as they have a hard time evading. That or my dwarves are just elite  :D

No casualties on that siege btw, minor injuries with one guy a broken arm.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2010, 09:56:37 pm »

Yeah, keyword untrained.  After the latest patches it's become possible for weapons to pierce stronger armor.  In earlier DF2010, no matter how green your dwarf was, he could defeat goblins if he had armor and a weapon.  Now they actually need to know how to fight.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2010, 10:40:52 pm »

my caves are wayyy too big, expecially cavern 3, which spans ~100 zlevels from top to bottem
Is there a way to control how deep they are? They have to have at least one layer enabled to embark with any underground products, but I hate having 10 z levels being useless fps hoggers. One or two flat cavern layers would be fine, but 100 is ridiculous.

I highly recommend changing the default settings when you gen a world... I forget the exact setting, but if you change the OPENNESS to the max value, you get wide open caverns instead of having a bunch of 1 wide paths.  This leads to significantly less FPS damage when the caverns are exposed since pathfinding becomes easier.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010, 09:17:13 am »

my caves are wayyy too big, expecially cavern 3, which spans ~100 zlevels from top to bottem
Is there a way to control how deep they are? They have to have at least one layer enabled to embark with any underground products, but I hate having 10 z levels being useless fps hoggers. One or two flat cavern layers would be fine, but 100 is ridiculous.

That's set passage density to 0. I'm not entirely certain what openness does.

I highly recommend changing the default settings when you gen a world... I forget the exact setting, but if you change the OPENNESS to the max value, you get wide open caverns instead of having a bunch of 1 wide paths.  This leads to significantly less FPS damage when the caverns are exposed since pathfinding becomes easier.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?
Pages: 1 [2]