Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Today I've had lots of fun!  (Read 1617 times)

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Today I've had lots of fun!
« on: July 18, 2010, 07:52:33 am »

Hi!

It's been a while since I've played my fortress, but I'm by no means done with it yet! I have to say while the whole plan in this fort was quite ambitious, I'm into year 10 and I'm only in say 1/8 of the construction process. No matter I'll have my dwarves toil away but atleast I should get something more exciting to do!

finally set a foot in the caves, my first time to! I've been meaning to harvest that spidersilk anyway since all my pig tail seeds have misteriously disappeared and three dwarves now have gone mad by the lack of fiber. Damn fancy dwarves keep asking for fiber for the mysterious constructions. Anyway I finally connect the cavern to my deepest mining tunnels and pray for some fun!

And answered it was! The moment I step foot in the cavern A forgotten beast appears! It's a great feathered moose! And it undulates rythmically! I have no idea what undulating is bit an online dictionary tells me it's a wavelike movement. I don't even want to know how that thing looks like.

My miner rushes to safety through the tunnels and the moose furiously makes it way to my fortress. I deploy my squad of recruits that had been training for the past year or so, surely the task was perfect for them. They make their way towards the main mining shaft as the moose furiously makes it way up to the tunnels. Tragedy! Or nearly, one of my kittens found the deep shafsts a good place  to explore and the moose thing is chasing it outside. One of my recruits hears  the whole  thing and rushes to the rescue alone.
She begins to fight the monster hacking it in the legs with her axe, bringing the great beast to its knees as the twists her axe deeper in the wounds. The moose gets up and makes a desperate charge towards her, but my recruit dodges and strikes the thing in the neck as it bleeds to death. I was rather disapointed, but oh well there's an entire cave to explore, onwards!

Well, I'm not going in details as to how I explored it, but suffice it to say I found about two troglodyte or whatever they're called nests, and left a lot of blood and gore. But man, are these caves HUGE! I've had my squad return to the fort three time to pick up supplies of food and water before they could return to exploring.
Let me just post a few pics showing the layout
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(the miasma are the trog corpses I left  :))

Note that these are single z level sections of the whole thing, so the cavernis larger still! Also I've not yet managed to discover everything because I suddenly got interrupted, I'll show you later by what. Anyway note that I've found no less then 3 magma pits so far (in addition to the main one that makes up the volcano I made my fort in)
Also perhaps most curious this here.
What seems to be a incredibly deep shaft leading straight to a second cavern level! Looks like some plantlife all the way down there to, I'll have to explore those dephts aswell!

However like you may have noticed on the pic, it's siege time! Yes first a forgotten beasts and some dozen trogs to kill, now that I've begun exploration of te caverns the goblins want to play! The fun just won't end!
Yes that's 4 giant toads and 7 bats, ontop them are a bunch of hammergoblins! Now the hammergoblins have proven them to be quite weak since the last siege, stil they did manage to kill two dwarves. One of my dwarves was wounded severely with nearly half his bones broken. He has though made a full recovery and is as I speak rallying the recruits for the battle. It's payback time and for him it's personal. Wish me luck  8)

I <3 Dwarf Fortress

PS: I meant to ask, are all the caverns so incredibly huge?
Also no underground river, was hoping to find one as compensation for the lack of an aboveground one, lack of shells is my second highest death cause for mad dwarves.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Today I've had lots of fun!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 07:55:02 am »

Oh crap I seemed to have overseen the three ogres charging towards my fortress aswell!  :o
They destroyed my trade depot the brutes.

Make that 8 ogres.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 08:21:56 am »

Oh look at that there's another squad of goblins armed with pikes and mostly riding toads, come on greenskins come join the fun!

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 08:24:08 am »

Oh crap my legendary axedwarf just run off to them on his own! He already killed two of them  :o
Yay for military bugs, I guess I'll have to go back to the previous save and hope my entire military doesn't run off after getting the order to close in on the enemy. How anticlimatic  >:(
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 08:27:28 am by Jelle »

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 08:55:45 am »

It's like a maze filled with riches and death.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 09:00:58 am »

It seriously took you ten years to dig into the cavern system?? I have broken open at least the first level of caverns before year 3, and should generally have magma smelters by year 5. What where you waiting for?
A leg of ham, a jug of beer and thou besides me, whistling in the darkness.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 09:31:52 am »

There's to much to do topside, so much to mine so much to build hardly any time to go exploring.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 09:34:12 am »

I usually breach the cavern before the first month.

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 09:42:13 am »

Im with Mr mcdwarf. Im digging into cavern systems as soon as my first or second migrant wave. Its too hilarious not to.
A leg of ham, a jug of beer and thou besides me, whistling in the darkness.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 10:00:28 am »

Within first season, I get magma forges going after penetrating all 3 cavern layers. Is walling off the caverns as soon as you find them that unusual a concept for many players?

By the way, with the military, you shoudl give them a Station order first well within the fortress and wait for them to group together. THEN send them out there as a proper squad and not in whatever order they get there first.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 10:13:35 am »

Stories like this make me want to sink my teeth into another fort having only played a little in the latest versions.

Unfortunately there are no underground rivers any more, however any pool underground that meets the edge of the map acts as an infinite supply of water. Toady said he had problems getting them to work with the new underground but hopefully they will make a return in the future. I can't find the quotes right now.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 10:53:59 am »

my caves are wayyy too big, expecially cavern 3, which spans ~100 zlevels from top to bottem
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 12:33:33 pm »

my caves are wayyy too big, expecially cavern 3, which spans ~100 zlevels from top to bottem
Is there a way to control how deep they are? They have to have at least one layer enabled to embark with any underground products, but I hate having 10 z levels being useless fps hoggers. One or two flat cavern layers would be fine, but 100 is ridiculous.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 01:11:58 pm »

yeah, you have to wall off the caverns. the military is still too buggy (but looks like the next version will help fix a lot of that problem). just punch straight down, and deviate when you have water in the way. wall off as you go, a lot of stuff down there can fly.

the real goal is to find magma and adamantium. once you get your magma system up and running, start smelting everything you can with a focus on weapon metal (bronze and steel as available). i find that rows of bronze serrated discs make the very best defense against goblin siege- wood and glass traps are useless now.

also, year 10? heck, i usually load a new version of DF and start a new fort before then. just as well, every new fort, i find a way to improve the design. the new entrance i have is the best one ive designed yet- just killed most of a siege and had the rest of the goblins and trolls run off before they got past the fist half of the trap corridor. (think they made it to the 18th row of 3-wide alternating stonefall/bronze disc traps).

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 01:39:06 pm »

I was into year 5, almost done finally punching through the aquifer (just one level left, of 8 ).  And then the goblins attacked and I discovered that bronze-equipped untrained dwarves are no longer immune to goblins in the latest release.  So unimmune, in fact, that they didn't even score a single hit before they all died.

My first time being conquered outright.
Pages: [1] 2