Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: individual bedrooms  (Read 1941 times)

crucifier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
individual bedrooms
« on: July 18, 2010, 07:40:17 am »

do i have to assign each individual bedroom to each dwarf for them to be happy about having slept in a room to themselves?

my dwarves are currently miserable so i am just starting to give them individual rooms, but they have a legendary mess hall/statue garden.  not sure what more i can do to please them

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: individual bedrooms
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 08:12:57 am »

If you make a bunch of empty bedrooms the dwarves will claim them automatically (though this seems to break down somewhat at high populations).

There will still be some cross-bedroom sleeping but it doesn't seem to be as rampant as pre-31.08 levels.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 08:19:47 am »

If you make a bunch of empty bedrooms the dwarves will claim them automatically (though this seems to break down somewhat at high populations).

There will still be some cross-bedroom sleeping but it doesn't seem to be as rampant as pre-31.08 levels.

are u sure? as far as i was aware this is broken and they just sleep anywhere

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 08:21:23 am »

They tend to prefer any free, high-value room. If they have their own room but there's a free royal bedroom down the hall, well, they'll probably sleep there. They'll also sleep in your "hospital" sometimes, though I'm not sure why. It might be an issue of "which free bed is closest".
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

crucifier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 08:29:10 am »

lol guess ill just let the Fun ensue on my fortress, i dont think i can build prisons and individual bedrooms fast enough to not have my entire population spiral into insanity. 

i really think that dwarves going insane should be MUCH MUCH MUCH more difficult than it currently is.  i want to have Fun in other ways than having my fortress slowly cripple itself in a spiral of shit

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 09:23:20 am »

lol guess ill just let the Fun ensue on my fortress, i dont think i can build prisons and individual bedrooms fast enough to not have my entire population spiral into insanity. 

i really think that dwarves going insane should be MUCH MUCH MUCH more difficult than it currently is.  i want to have Fun in other ways than having my fortress slowly cripple itself in a spiral of shit

just smooth the stone in ur meeting/dining hall, and in the bedrooms... plus dont run out of booze, thats all u need. Ull get the occasional nutjob when some1 dies tho.

crucifier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 10:12:19 am »

just smooth the stone in ur meeting/dining hall, and in the bedrooms... plus dont run out of booze, thats all u need. Ull get the occasional nutjob when some1 dies tho.
that wont work.  one person dying is turning my fortress into a tantrum spiral MUCH faster than i can smooth out stone.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 12:06:39 pm »

Hurm, I once settled on a human village. The "fortress" survived to see its first siege and during that time; a peasent tried to run away from a group of goblins. Unfortunately for him, he ran into the first home he saw and instead of running back outside. He just went to sleep.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 05:08:03 pm »

You can try to do waterfall. Mist give happy thoughts. And if you fail to setup waterfall properly, well, everyone drowns and cannot be unhappy anymore. Problem solved!

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 09:33:52 pm »

Very true. That said, there are a good deal of forum posts about creating waterfalls, as well as an entry in the Wiki (http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Waterfall). If you have any artifact weapons or furniture, building it where dwarves can admire it also gives happy thoughts.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

fanatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 10:58:38 am »

that wont work.  one person dying is turning my fortress into a tantrum spiral MUCH faster than i can smooth out stone.

Make sure they spend time working instead of making friends with each other. like making furniture for your soon-to-be-legendary dining room
fanatic cancels play DF : gone berzerk at framerate.                                                  x1000
------------------------
Pour magma first - ask questions later!

lowbart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 06:01:45 pm »

If youmake a bunch of empty bedrooms the dwarves will claim them automatically (though this seems to break down somewhat at high populations).

Is that also how it works in 40d? It seems like it to me but nobody has claimed my new areas yet, opting to sleep in the barracks and homeless shelter instead. (it works with my first set of apartments).

Also, yeah friends cause tantrum spirals. After my first riot killed half my fort I've started giving most apartments a table and chair so they can eat alone. It might not work too well if I ever get the economy activated, but it's good for now.
"Are you there, gods? It's me, Mistêm."
Quote from: Boatmurdered
Guerilla Burialgears absently tucks the child's rock into his pack and turns to leave for good; his head hung low. His words trail behind him as he disappears over the ridge. It is a haunting whisper, quickly stolen away by the wind: "All burn..."