Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is traping titans in cages possible?  (Read 1310 times)

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
Is traping titans in cages possible?
« on: July 18, 2010, 05:48:58 am »

I've hit a bit of a snag: I've had a salt titan storm my fortress a while ago and trapped it bu blowing a bridge out from under it, making it fall a z-level behind some fortifications, and tried taking potshots at it with ballistae. I lost a lot of wood to no avail.

Unfortunately, it's stuck bellow the entrance bridge system (one bridge is now supported by magic now, hanging in thin air, but that's another matter) and scaring everyone away. I'd just started to build another similar entrance when a winged ocean titan showed up, and there are a lot of holes for flyers to get into my fort. It doesn't seem inclined to lift off yet, but if it does...

Anyway, I've laid some cage traps and both titans stormed past'em into my fort (I save scummed, yea.)

Any suggestions on how to get rid of the bastards?

PS: to make things even better, I've played without a military force.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 05:55:31 am by Something Evil »
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Osdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is traping titans in cages possible?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 08:34:06 am »

a salt titan?

Sounds to me like it could be a really easy one to kill or a really hard one, so does the winged ocean one, I'd say if you don't mind save scumming (In case they fail horribly), just try getting a military dwarf or two with axes or hammers together and send them down to deal with the darn things.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 09:01:44 am »

well... for titans like these, I usually just design a few artificial cave-in traps which is basically a single support holding up a mass of floor tiles tied to a lever.

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 10:51:11 am »

Techically, yes. You can trap them in cages. Provided that they don't destroy the trap before triggering it, they will be caught.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 12:05:12 pm »

Thing is I've tried cage traps and the damn things (the salt one, as well as an earlier amber one that "radiated kindness and giving") just loiter a couple seconds on the tile then move on. The trap isn't destroyed and still shown as loaded.

I'm trying a collapse trap now on the flyer but I don't know what I'll do with the other one. I can't get dwarves to build anything above it before they break and run.
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 12:55:17 pm »

Im pretty sure titans are [trapavoid].  If they have heads you may be able to lop it off with an axedwarf or stick 'em with a sword/spear if they have vital organs (not very likely with inorganics).
You can also try setting up upright spikes connected to a leaver. Or the classic drop something on their heads :D
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Gullydwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 03:21:07 am »

I have had some good times this morning.
My Ocean Titan which has scared away all my goblin ambushers got killed by some Novice Marksdwarf shooting a Copper Bolt into his Upper Body and The Severed Part went flying off in an arc. The Berserk Human merchants were no problem for my wrestlers so peace and quiet has once more returned to the fortress.

What you could try with your titan is what I was thinking of doing as soon as I had known that titans can be caught in cages. Make a tunnel somewhere from inside your fortress outward (to the place where the titan is now trapped) line it with cage traps. Just a one tile tunnel. With 30 cage traps or something. And hope it gets trapped. Make sure to build in a failsafe drawbridge for if it doesn't :-P
"Gullydwarf cancels play Dwarf Fortress. Interrupted by stray female."

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 03:43:48 am »

You can snag a trapavoid mob in a cage trap if you first manage to knock it out.

Cave in traps are best for this, either it gets hit by debris and is instantly smited or it gets knocked down and lands on a cage trap which will nab it.  Im a fan of a long corridor filled with cages with a cave-in setup above, pull the lever and cross your fingers:)
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 07:44:50 am »

You can snag a trapavoid mob in a cage trap if you first manage to knock it out.

Cave in traps are best for this, either it gets hit by debris and is instantly smited or it gets knocked down and lands on a cage trap which will nab it.  Im a fan of a long corridor filled with cages with a cave-in setup above, pull the lever and cross your fingers:)

That only works if the creature doesn't have [NOSTUN]; unfortunately, all randomly-generated creatures (including titans and forgotten beasts) have [NOSTUN] and thus cannot be knocked unconscious under any circumstances.

There is currently only one way to trap a titan, forgotten beast, or demon in a cage: giant cave spider silk webs.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

t-loria

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 11:05:45 am »

MMM A salt titan,  i wonder how it would react to a little water  :P

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 11:21:35 am »

No, it is not.

Webbing them, as Quietust noted, is the only way. Although perhaps forgotten beast / <spoiler> webs would work instead of GCS silk.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 07:56:23 pm »

Although perhaps forgotten beast / <spoiler> webs would work instead of GCS silk.

They don't actually have webs - rather than use the proper syntax that specifies the material from which the webs are made (i.e. [WEBBER:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SILK], as used by giant cave spiders), they just use the [WEBBER] token by itself (like you would use in 40d) and don't even bother to define a SILK material.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.