Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21

Author Topic: Psychopompos  (Read 22182 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Psychopompos
« Reply #225 on: August 24, 2010, 10:53:16 am »

This should be fun.
---

'Ah, hello, good lord! Congrulations, you have happened upon a once-in-a-lifetime chance to fight the Council of Angels! This is not, I assure you, something you'd want to miss! Glory! War! Riches! This and more, if you come fight these monsters!'

Moridin stares at you in disbelief for a while, then begins talking slowly. ' I do not know who you are,  but I don't have time for this. The Council poses no threat for me, and I certainly do not wish to endanger myself in an useless attempt to attack them. I should have you killed for wasting my time. Now go.'

The Essenceborn disappears down into the fortress, and you fly off soon afterwards. Perhaps that wasn't the perfect way to talk to him after all. You begin scanning the countryside for the Winged Serpent.

It takes you some time searching the identical fields of crops and plainlands before you locate the violent Guide. You descend into the ruins of a burnt-down little village, coming face-to-face with a gigantic, green-skinned snake. Two wings of black carry it around, while the bright jewels of it's eyes are said to be able to kill in a single second.

' Hrhhh... a fellow Guide.' the thing snarls, revealing it's teeth in a twisted grin. ' What do you want? I'm busy.'

' I am gathering the ex-Bureaucracy Guides together. We are re-creating the Bur... an organization of Psychopomps.' you explain, stumbling backwards a bit involuntarily from the unnerving shine of it's eyes.

' Hrh... you wish to recruit me. You are going to fight the Angels. Gnhh... yes, they could be much nicer prey than the filth I have to eat here. Yes, I suppose I could come. Not yet, though. I still have business here.'

' Very well. The Two Kings know how to find me. My name is Yggda.'

' Did I ask for that? No. Now go, and leave me.' the Serpent lets out a sound you decipher as laughter. You sigh and fly off.

Do you have any more business here or do you wish to leave?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 11:07:05 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 24, 2010, 10:53:35 am »

Yay it's finished now.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 11:07:18 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 24, 2010, 12:37:57 pm »

Lets go to the infernals. >:D
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 24, 2010, 12:39:43 pm »

Lets go to the infernals. >:D
Not a bad idea. They should have more reason to help than anyone.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 24, 2010, 02:18:59 pm »

Hmm... That spoiler says leave. We shouldn't tempt fate...

>Stay at a nearby inn
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 24, 2010, 09:12:23 pm »

The infernals may still be annoyed with us and we really should find out what the issue is with the Egyptians, we should have asked the other guides about it when we were back at base...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 25, 2010, 11:31:30 am »

The Infernals, yes. They have been fighting the Council since it's creation. You return to the Stream and begin moving towards the Infernal realm.

Mid-way there, you notice a strange thing; another unusual being in the Stream, though this one seems different, like a hundred dots of light instead of one, solid beacon. Another strange thing is that it seems to be closing in on you, though you don't really see the point. Even if it is working for the Council, it won't be able to do anything but to follow you around until you exit into a new realm.
You shrug inside your mind and continue hovering towards your destination. You hope they're not too angry about you not agreeing to work with them, but you're sure you c-

The creature crashes into you, and you feel a sensation like falling over, even though physical bodies do not exist in the Stream. You find yourself being dragged somewhere, somehow, and before you can do anything, you are thrown out of the Stream.

You open your eyes to see ice-covered land, very much filling your view. Pain shoots out up your spine as you crash on the ice, and you find yourself sliding down the landscape.

' Oh, I am going to enjoy this.' a voice says from all around you. There is a strange background noise to it, like screaming. 

You force yourself up and look around.
A dozen metres from you stands a giant, humanoid figure, with reddish, infected-looking skin and no face or other details of the body to speak of. A black metal grate juts out from just below where a head would be, with white light coming from within like flames in a furnace.

' Remember me, fool? I once told you I would be your doom.' the voice speaks again, and the light shines a little bit brighter for a moment.

Zanael. You weren't expecting to meet him again. Without answering, you take your claymore and rush forward towards the thing. The voice snorts, and the creature's arms... shift, revealing a set of blades in the other and a strange, ornate firearm of some kind in the other. You manage a few steps towards the being before the firearm wakes up with a whirr.

Razor-sharp shards of some pure-white substance are propelled towards you at incredible speed. Three dig into your stomach and legs and two others go straight through, but, fortunately, Zanael mostly misses. Strangely, you don't feel that much pain from the hits, only slowing down in your advance.

' Like this body? I was gifted with it by the Ophenim themselves, after what I did at the... well, it is a great honour. These are called Soul Engines. The strenght and willpower of nearly a hundred souls, all united to be the perfect weapon.' Zanael boasts. You use the chance he's given you and sink the claymore deep into the Engine's left leg.
At the exact same moment, the skin of the Soul Engine shifts again, suddenly pushing countless mouths to the surface, all screaming. The force of the sound physically pushes you to the ground.
Zanael roars in pain, and, before you can get back up, sends you flying with a well-placed kick. You land heavily back on the icy ground.

This is bad. You take a quick look around. Some distance to the north-east is what seems to be an ice-covered lake and beyond it, mountains, but everywhere else, the snow-covered landscape seems to stretch on forever.

You're not sure how tough this thing is, but perhaps you could return and outrun him in the Stream, exiting somewhere he wouldn't dare to follow you into.
In any case, you need to think up a plan fast!

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 25, 2010, 11:52:08 am »

Uh, Tactical Withdrawl!

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 25, 2010, 12:32:21 pm »

Run away!!!
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 25, 2010, 12:35:23 pm »

A hundred souls, eh?
Well then, we'll need to break him down, bit by screaming bit.

>Run. For now... 8)
Thou art I, I art Thou.
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 27, 2010, 01:16:49 pm »

You realize you can't defeat this thing right now. However, fleeing will only push this battle further away, as it can drag you out from the Stream.

You get back up, pain spiking up your body, so much you have some trouble concentrating on the Stream. After a few tries, you slip into the Stream, barely escaping from another volley of shards.

You begin to move as fast as you can, simply heading outwards from the ice-world. You were already heading for the Infernals, so you still remember their exit point. A flash of light from behind reveals Zanael's following you, but you don't even turn to look. You feel something heavy landing on where your shoulder might be, but it's not enough to push you down. The Infernal point is just ahead, and you...

Fall head-first into a mass of demons of all kinds. You feel the crack of bone from underneath you, and black blood flows out of a demon's body. The others snarl and screech, fleeing from you. An empty space forms around you incredibly quickly. A wide range of different kinds of sharp-looking weapons, most just part of the demons bodies, points at you. You begin to rise up. Atleast these things are easy to escape from, like Zan...

The Soul Engine falls burning to the ground on the other side of the rocky, demon-covered plateau below, sending demons and stone flying. All the mouths appear again and begin to scream, and Zanael lashes out blindly.

The demons screeching begins to slowly die away, and is instead replaced by something quite strange; sounds of surprise and shock. Then, in the exact same moment, their voices unite in a terrifying roar and the sea of demons falls upon the Soul Engine. You can hear Zanael's screams of frustration and pain inside your mind again.
After shooting another hail of shards into the horde, Zanael disappears with another flash.

Silence falls upon the plateau, and, you realize, upon the entire Infernal realm of Hell. The demons stand still, staring into the air. You consider leaving when a new voice interrupts your thoughts.

' The Morningstar wishes an explanation, miss. Will you come with me and offer him one?' the speaker is a gaunt demon, with dark hair covering his head and clad in elaborate red-and-gold robes. Most likely someone high in the hierarchy of Hell. The Morningstar - Lucifer, the ruler of this land, and, to a lesser extent, the ruler of the Infernals. You're not longing to be in his company, but you imagine he wouldn't be pleased if you'd try to leave. Besides, you want to know what the hell just happened.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 27, 2010, 01:19:51 pm »

"Im so sorry for my.... Rude entrance, I will acompany you to lucifer, you can take my weapon if you wish."
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 27, 2010, 02:21:55 pm »

"Im so sorry for my.... Rude entrance, I will acompany you to lucifer, you can take my weapon if you wish."
This.

Also, see if you can't darken your wings a little. Not too much, or they might think we're up to no goodevil. Just a little bit to make them less white, more grey.
Thou art I, I art Thou.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 27, 2010, 03:36:13 pm »

What Ochita said.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 28, 2010, 01:48:33 am »

' I apogolize for my... rude entrance. I will accompany you to your master. You can take my weapon if you wish.' you say. The demon laughs and jumps on a chariot pulled by a pack of small, winged creatures. He beckons you to follow, and you, not sure if you have the strenght to fly so far in this state, join him. You consider darkening the withered remains of your wings a bit, but decide against it. They know you're not an angel.

' Rude... you have a wonderful sense of humor, miss.' he shakes his head, grinning. ' Forgive me, I have forgotten my manners. I am Asmodean, Archduke of Hell. Now, let us not keep the Morningstar waiting.' A whip materializes in the demon's hand, and it tells the creatures to move with a strike. The smell of burning fills the air.

The Archduke guides you up across endless plains of dusty red stone, black pits, forests of jagged, black blades, fields of magma and of strange forges and factories. As you travel, you begin to realize the demons are moving to the same direction as you are. Several other chariots and flying beasts join you, though Asmodean pays no attention to them. You guess from their appearances they are on a lower level in the hierarchy than him.

Finally, your destination comes to view; a great spire of grey stone, jutting out from the unforgiving lands. Asmodean guides the chariot towards a specific balcony and stops there. You walk in together.

The room is spherical, and the walls are of white stone. Various artworks hang on the walls, though none of them seemingly religious. All the furniture in the room is ornamented and finely-built. If not for the stench of sulfur and demonic beasts flying outside, you'd think this was just a luxurious apartment in one of the mortal worlds.

' Ah, good. Archduke, you are dismissed. You know what to do. Inform me when they are all here.' a voice that seems to echo throughout the room says from behind you. Lucifer Morningstar steps into view.

Quite surprisingly, he looks just like another angel, if you'd ignore the scorch marks on his back where his wings should've been. He has quite short, golden hair and the same unnervingly perfect face most angels have. Lucifer seems to be glowing slightly, and his eyes are all-white. Otherwise, he does not seem like the ruler of the Infernals.
The Morningstar walks over to the balcony, where Asmodean just flies off on his chariot. He beckons you to join him, and you comply. You stare at the landscape for a while in silence.

' There used to be a kind of beauty to it, Guide. I am not referring to the landscape - it has always been like this. The eternal torture of the damned, their screams of pain and the weeping... I have come to regret my decision, yes. But I see now it was necessary.' Lucifer's voice contains little emotion.

' They signed the pacts, and even though the situation in the mortal lands has been growing increasingly frustrating during these past months, I did not expect this. Guide, the thing followed you. Why? You are obviously an important target, for an angel to enter Hell in pursuit of you.'

' Uhh... I had encountered him before, and...' you start. Lucifer continues, ignoring you. ' There were so many of us then. We were barely sentient. There were no worlds yet, simply the Stream. Some devoured others and grew stronger. Some tried to force their way out of the Stream and killed themselves, creating worlds in the process. Then... mortal minds. We were given shape and worshipped, though some stayed behind.' he pauses, as if just realizing you're there. ' Ah, yes. I thought you, as an ex-Bureaucracy worker, might want to know my plan now. We will burn down the Silver City and crack open the skulls of the Ophenim and all their servants. The ancient pacts have been broken, and they have entered Hell. You can go now, if you wish. I have speech to make.'

Lucifer smiles, and disappears in an almost blinding explosion of light.

It seems you have coinvinced the Infernals to go to war without even trying. Do you wish to rest for a while to heal your wounds, or try to outrun Zanael in the Stream to another location?

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21