Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21

Author Topic: Psychopompos  (Read 22181 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Psychopompos
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2010, 02:41:24 am »

' Their time will come, but it is now yours. Even if I could accept that bargain, I could not grant you life again, and you would be forced to forever haunt this valley, enduring the most horrific pains imaginable, caught between two realms, never able to enter either. Or you could become something called a Wraith, and be unable to control your actions as you'd lay waste to both armies here and kill all your comrades-in-arms and friends. Unless you wish for either of these fates, I advise you to come with me.'

The soul shakes his head, then sighs and seems to give in. You walk over to take his arm and...
You catch a quick glance of the Fields of Asphodel, marking the man as a worshipper of the Greek Pantheon.

You can feel just one noble-killed-in-battle remaining, but you could just as well go rest. Someone with an overlapping specialization will take care of it, right?
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2010, 10:34:27 am »

Check out the soul. If its special then take care of it. if not go home and sleep
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2010, 10:36:12 am »

Take care of it. No good can come of not doing so.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

penguify

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2010, 10:44:34 am »

Maybe not, but plot certainly might (come of not taking care of it).

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2010, 11:37:44 am »

Right, better check it out anyways. As you let yourself be carried by the Stream, you feel a strange tug into a certain direction. The moment doesn't last for long, and you reach your destination.

The first thing that tells you something isn't right is the lack of a battle, and the odd location. You hover above a mountaintop in a blizzard. You try to focus on your target, but can't seem to find anyone. Surprise paralyzes you, and you don't notice the half-dozen or so shapes closing in on you.

The first blow sends you flying towards the mountain, and you catch a quick glance of a grimacing angelic face before another blow spins you around.
These are Seraphim, warrior angels. They carry sleek, form-fitting white armour and 'blessed' blades. You haven't even seen any of them before, but you remember the description from you training.

You regain your focus inches away from the side of the mountain, taking a defensive position and scanning the area for the angels.
The first one appears without warning, but comes way too fast, way too confident. You sidestep and hear a satisfying crack as he meets the mountainside head-on.
Another one appears, sword thrusting for your neck, but you force it aside and send him falling with a well-placed kick.

Unfortunately, this is when your luck runs out.

Two Seraphim attack you together, moving quicker than you'd have thought possible with that armour. Their blades cut through your wings and back, sending waves of pain up your body. They strike in perfect unison, like machines. They pull their blades back out for another attack, and you realize you cannot concentrate enough to fly anymore.

You collapse on your knees, fall a few metres, land on something resembling solid ground in the air again, and sink straight through.

The ground, just a distant patch of green a few moments ago now compasses your entire view, and continues growing larger and larger. You try to get back to the Underworld, back to anywhere before the impact, but it's no use.
The ground is so close you can see invidual flowers, and darkness overtakes you.

---

You open your eyes to see a blood-red sky. A winged creature passes by overhead. You can't move without feeling terrible pain, but appear to be lying on a stone slab.
' Ah, you are awake, then?' a voice asks, and you force your head to turn.
Next to you stands a tall, robed humanoid with red skin, a sharp, gaunt face, two horns growing out from the back of his head and the most impressive set of teeth you've ever seen on any creature. It's smiling and that is not... pleasant, to look at.
' You must be wondering what happened.'

You are, very much so. The fall should've killed even you. You're not complaining, though. You guess this place is the Infernal afterlife, or atleast one of the nastier 'bad' afterlifes of the others.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

((You're free to ask any questions you want))
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 11:45:31 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2010, 11:46:25 am »

Spit in the demons face and warn it the bureaucracy will make them pay for this. (cliche, but very fitting)
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2010, 11:48:53 am »

Veto.

We ask "Yeah... Just what did happen!"
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2010, 11:59:52 am »

Don't spit. Just look bored and point out that you have no responsibility for anything and were only acting on behalf of the byrocracy, and that if he harms you it will have severe legal consequences. Cite as much legalese as possible in conveying this message.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

penguify

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2010, 12:04:53 pm »

Don't spit. Just look bored and point out that you have no responsibility for anything and were only acting on behalf of the byrocracy, and that if he harms you it will have severe legal consequences. Cite as much legalese as possible in conveying this message.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2010, 12:09:46 pm »

Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2010, 12:17:25 pm »

Angles attacked us. What dislikes angles? Demons. Obviously the demon saved us.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2010, 12:18:41 pm »

Actually, circles dislike angles. :P

A-N-G-E-L-S. It's a common enough mistake.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2010, 12:28:38 pm »

So don't spit, don't look bored, don't cite down paragraphs that might bore or anger that guy , just as k what happened and why the hell you are in hell...and where to get these nice cloaks...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2010, 12:30:17 pm »

Actually, circles dislike angles. :P

A-N-G-E-L-S. It's a common enough mistake.

Durn, spell check failed me again.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2010, 12:35:17 pm »

' I was acting on the behalf of the Underworld Bureaucracy and cannot be held responsible for any of my actions. Harming me will have severe legal consequences.' you start, pausing to think up some more. The demon stares at you blankly, then shakes his head slowly.
' By Lucifer Himself, you're even dumber than you look.'

He laughs, and the red sky shifts and darkens, spewing lightning everywhere. When the demon stops, the sky becomes calm again. Strange.

' I saved your life. I have to admit, I'd love to cut you open' he pulls a rusty scalpel from somewhere, grinning 'but I can't. I'm still waiting for a messenger.'
It chuckles and slams the scalpel into the stone slab. It sinks deep inside, and the touched stone flashes red for a moment. ' The restraints are just a precaution, my dear. I don't really know who you are at all.'

You nod slowly, and decide to ask some questions.

' What happened, then?'

The demon throws it's arms up in frustration. ' They told me to transport you here before your pretty little skull hit the earth. I don't really see why. I see you managed to piss off the Council, though. It's easier than you'd think.' he chuckles, then continues ' I don't see what we'd need you for, but oh well.'
He looks up, seeing something you don't. ' Ah, finally. This decides your fate, if you were wondering.'

For a while, the demon just seems to listen to the air, adding a 'mmh' and 'I see' every now and then. At one point, he begins to look furious and shouts at the invisible messenger in a tongue that makes you feel dizzy. Finally, he returns to you.

' Well... you're free, but I was told to make you an offer.' he grits his teeth and looks disappointed. ' The Bureaucracy is no more. The bastards went in and took out your entire leading caste, or whatever, in one blow. Scattered the rest of you wherever. Seeing as you've lost your job...' he snickers ' they want you to work for us. Apparently, your... skills would come in handy. I've been told to show you the ruins of the Underworld before you decide, though.'

You stare at the demon for a while in silence. ' Wh... why? This makes no sense!' you manage eventually.

' Ahh... I could tell you, but I need your answer first. Or ehh, I need you to follow me to the Bureaucracy first if you want to, but still.'

' What if I refuse?' you ask. Working for the Infernals doesn't seem like the ideal next step on your career path, if this story even is true.

' I've been told to let you go. I guess they just hate me.'

Well, what will it be?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 12:39:03 pm by Digital Hellhound »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21