Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21

Author Topic: Psychopompos  (Read 22151 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Psychopompos
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2010, 10:19:00 am »

Go with the pull. What're the odds of you running into another wraith?
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

penguify

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2010, 10:21:38 am »

Pretty good, we are the protagonist after all.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2010, 10:44:37 am »

All the more reason to go with the pull. Moar plot!
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2010, 04:10:34 am »

You just nod, it's none of your business and let yourself go with the Stream.

You hover above a forge complex, sitting above a live volcano. As you get nearer, you see the masses of mutated, demonic creatures throwing themselves against the
white-glowing humans, staring blankly at the incoming horde. Hellspawn and Lightbringers, fighting the eternal duel of the Infernals and the Council of Angels.
In the middle of the Hellspawn horde stand several armoured giants, each carrying massive bronze spears. As you watch, one begins to fall. Your target.

You drop down by the dying Infernal-worshipper and watch it's soul begin to stand back up. Before you can do anything, however, you hear a melodic voice from behind you.
' Stand aside, Guide. That soul is ours.'
The speaker is a winged human being of unnerving perfection; a lesser Angel working for the Council. You have no idea why they'd want that soul, but this is direct violation of the laws ensuring only the Bureaucracy can act as Psychopomps. Besides, the dead one is an Infernal-worshipper, and should be brought to them, not the Council.

Lesser angels are messengers or spies, not warriors. This one carries a strange-looking halberd-like weapon, but you don't think he's gotten any training with it.
' Guide, you would be wise to step aside. You do not wish to anger the Council.' It takes a few steps closer but stops, unsure of what to do.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2010, 05:23:21 am »

You are in direct violation of Bureaucracy laws...angel! Stand aside your are not allowed to interact with this soul in any way. It's my job to guide that soul wheter he is some angel-crushing demonic beast or not.

Ignore him and do our job

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2010, 11:31:46 am »

Cite some paragraphs and demand he shows you the paperwork that allows him to take the soul. Turn the whole "by-the-book byrocrat" deal to the max, making it clear you are acting only on behalf of an organization etc.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2010, 01:12:31 pm »

' The Council signed the deal with the Bureaucracy. You have no business here or with this soul.' you say, stepping closer to the soul now watching the situation with interest.
You prepare to unleash all the bureaucratic nonsense you remember on him, but the angel just stands still and stares at you. You take this chance to turn back to the soul and grab him...
An endless black pit, illuminated by a red glow coming from seemingly nowhere. The man falls in screaming, and you watch him go for a while before returning to the real world.
The angel is still there, and now furious.

' You fool! You have no idea what you have done! That soul will get no rest or peace, and will not remain there for long. These monsters will twist him into one of their foul servants and let him loose upon the world.' He points at the masses of Hellspawn cutting into the Lightbringer lines.
You just shrug. There's no law dictating how souls should be treated in their afterlife, or even that they even stay there. Though the angel's words were troubling, you cannot help but wonder why the Lightbringers of the angels have the exact same blank, helpless stare of the Hellspawn...

' Remember my name, Guide! I am Zanael, and very soon I will be your doom!' he waits for a reaction, but when you show nothing, he continues; ' You and all your...'
You raise your eyebrow, and the angel curses silently and disappears in a flash of light. Looks like nobody can keep their mouth shut today.

The pull is there again. Busy day.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2010, 01:14:23 pm »

Go with the pull but tell your supirior about the event
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

penguify

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2010, 01:19:28 pm »

This lawful neutral alignment is awesome.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2010, 01:23:42 pm »

Don't you mean lawful Awesome?
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2010, 01:48:08 pm »

Don't you mean lawful Awesome?
Isn't that Red Mage's alignment?(according to him at least)

Go with the pull but tell your supirior about the event
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2010, 02:17:29 pm »

Before you let the pull take you, you decide to make a quick visit back to the Underworld. It has been hours since your last visit; time flows differently here.
It takes you some time for you to find your superior. You tell him what the angel slipped.

Your superior looks as thoughtful as a swarm of insects can and takes his time before answering.
' No, I don't really think I need to bother the Board with this. This was probably just a single, special soul they would've wanted for themselves. I doubt this will ever happen again. Still, good work out there.'

He leaves, and you finally let the pull take you. You're feeling quite tired now, so you probably should get some rest after this.

The battlefield this time is a mountain pass, and thousands are already dead. The scale of the two armies - both human - is quite large for their technological level.
Your target is found in the ground, while the armoured horse which was just no doubt moments ago carrying him is attacking the enemy lines all on it's own.
When he spots you, he turns white and begins to whisper prayers.
' Please... I'm not ready yet. Take someone else, I can't go yet. My... my wife, she is ugly and useless, take her, not me. Or, or, my sad excuse for a son, just...' he babbles on. You're quite surprised he's trying to bargain someone else's life for his when already dead, but you guess he still hasn't fully comprehended the event.

Right, how are you going to deal with him?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 02:18:45 am by Digital Hellhound »

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2010, 02:29:37 pm »

"Silence! Fool! Your soul is the one that must be delivered. There is no bargining. Ever."

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2010, 03:04:15 pm »

Be nice, Ochita.

Tell him that we will take them when their time comes. Now is his. If he still doesn't comply, begin to tell him what will happen in horrific, clinical detail.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2010, 04:17:28 pm »

Well first of all my friend im just the guide for nobles who died in battle and not ugly wives or misshapen sons. Secondly even if it were in my power to take their souls and even if i would accept that bargain...you would still be dead and a left alone soul passes the most horrific pains you can or can't imagine. You would turn into a wraith something so horrific and painful that your sould would shatter and to the end of eternity you  would only feel pain. Well that said follow me i take you to a...hopefully better place. Why did you attack them alone in the first place? That's definetly under the ten most stupid actions i have seen in my life and thats quite long...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21