Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21

Author Topic: Psychopompos  (Read 22140 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Psychopompos
« Reply #285 on: October 30, 2010, 09:01:28 pm »

Wow, Nice!

Lets get a detailed description of the war machine to someone technically minded while we wait.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 03, 2010, 12:32:28 pm »

After answering some of Hrist and Vogarm's questions, you ask Vogarm if there's anyone technical-minded you can describe the Soul Engine to. After thinking a while, he calls over a few identical-looking young men, Guides as well. They begin circling around you chattering to each other, which makes you feel a bit uncomfortable.

' Look, I encountered a Council engine of war earlier, and I'd like to describe it to...' you start, but don't get any further. The Guides all suddenly lash out towards you with their arms, which pass straight into you. Very, very uncomfortable, now. There is a low humming sound, and they pull their arms out, nodding thoughtfully.

' Should've warned you.' Vogarm grins. ' They took your memories of the thing and will analyze it now. Don't worry, just those specific memories. They can be trusted.'
You frown, a little freaked out by the intrusion into your mind, but soon shake it off and go downstairs to wait.

Almost an hour passes before everyone is present and accounted for. Still, perhaps it was for the best. The Egyptians also needed time to prepare, no doubt. You just hoped these preparations have gone unnoticed by the Council and it's spies.
On the yard of the house serving as your base now stands well over a hundred Guides - for an army, small and quite visibly ill-equipped and undisciplined - but making up for that in ferocity. They're fighting for vengeance, now. Any general seeing these soldiers, each in their preferred form and huddled together in a single, bloodthirsty mob, would sure give up and flee even before combat, if not for the anger still fresh in their minds.

' We're ready. Just give the order, Yggda.' Hrist comes over to say, finally, clad in full battle armour. You note all the other Valkyries have done the same. Charon stands at the door of the house, studying the crowd impassively. You hope he won't decide to sit this one out now.

There is still something you need to do before you can start the attack - sending the message for the Egyptians to start their own.

You could probably make it through the Council's forces easily enough, but you feel you should be leading your Guides instead. Sending a group of Guides, or one of the experienced ones, should probably do the trick. Of course, they're also needed to rally the troops and lead them. It's a risk in any case.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 03, 2010, 03:13:57 pm »

Go with the Egyptian. They are our new ally and cannot be trusted yet.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 03, 2010, 06:29:49 pm »

That makes sense, and Hrist should be a capable general...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 03, 2010, 06:50:19 pm »

Go with the egyptians, they seem to be a better combat force, and will probably be happy if we assist them.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 14, 2010, 06:20:37 am »

' Into the Stream.' you say. The orders take a while to pass through the mob, but soon everyone has disappeared into the realm between worlds. You quickly follow, feeling your body slip away into non-existance in the Stream. The assembled Guides are waiting patiently, little sparks floating around in the vast golden expanse of the Stream.
Curiously, it seems some of Vogarm's sisters and their kin have decided to join you in the attack, locked tightly inside transparent, shivering spheres. Mortal magic of some kind, no doubt.

' Hrist, you...' you start, but have to stop to blink in surprise as strange tendrils appear from inside you and begin lazily spiralling towards the others. You've never tried speaking in the Stream before. Still, the others seem to understand. ' I am afraid I will not be fighting alongside you just yet. I must find the Egyptians and have them start their attack from inside.' You pause, trying to gauge their reactions, but, unsurprisingly, nothing shows.

'Hrist, I am giving you overall command of our forces. You have the most experience in military matters, I believe. The Egyptians will attempt to drive them outside, so you can push them against the palace walls.'

'Understood. I'll do my best.' Hrist replies curtly, her voice sounding strangely muffled. With that, you drop out of the Stream.

The palace is still the way you last saw it, though you see more Lightbringer guards near the entrance. The mindless automatons are easy to fool, however, and soon you're back inside. Hugging the walls and hiding every time you hear footsteps, you make your way to the underworld entrance very quickly. Ammut is accompanied by a few Egyptian warriors and some lesser god you don't recognize. The angels seem to have given up on attacks for now.

The path to Aaru is now filled with warriors and guardians of all kinds, performing combat exercises and glaring at you suspiciously. No-one attempts to stop your approach, though. Seems everyone already knows who you are. To your surprise, once you finally reach the Gates, a god is already waiting for you.

You recognize the falcon-headed god quickly; Horus. Osiris stands a few meters behind him, speaking with the goddess Isis.

'It is time, then?' Horus asks, walking with you over to Osiris. You simply nod your answer, and quickly tell it to Osiris as well.

'So soon? We have not had much time to prepare yet, Guide.' Osiris says, motioning other gods and warriors nearby to come closer.

' It will have to do, Osiris. I doubt the Council will stay distracted for long.'

'True, I suppose. Very well.' he says 'Horus, gather the troops. They won't know what hit them.'

This is it, then. You try to calm yourself down. You could've easily misunderstood the size of the Council's troops. Your own Guides are so few in number, this battle alone could singlehandedly kill off all the survivors of the first Council attack. Hopefully, the angels will break instead of turning all their might against your troops.

Is there anything you wish to do before the battle begins, or will you simply find yourself a spot in the army?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 14, 2010, 10:44:47 am »

Woooh! :P

quip

• Bay Watcher
  • ???
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 14, 2010, 11:08:55 am »

It's alive!/ Find a spot in the army.
Hell hath no fury like an angry vampire pimp.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 14, 2010, 01:50:04 pm »

this is great
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 14, 2010, 06:49:08 pm »

Assume a more militaristic form, maybe something with light armour...
Read the First Post!

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 15, 2010, 08:26:16 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

---

You find a quiet spot near the Gates and close your eyes, focusing on your form. It's become more draining for you to shift form now after the attack, even when only healing minor wounds. Still, it's not bad enough to weaken you in any way.

You steel yourself and begin. Instantly, veins of gold open up in your legs, making their way up like miniature snakes. You feel your legs beginning to shift and transform, flexible armour plating covering the withered flesh. The veins spread outwards, filling your entire body with familiar warmth. The armour soon follows, falling to cover your body with perfect precision. You consider a helmet, but decide against it. It would only serve to block your vision. The suit of armour is light and flexible, as well. You mostly rely on your speed anyhow.

Once ready, you walk back over to the Egyptian gods and wait. The assembled gods and goddesses seem tense, which is quite understandable. Osiris gives you a quick nod.

'We are ready.' Horus appears from behind you, and you turn to see his forces. The moment you see it, all your problems disappear.

Many thousands of Egyptian warriors and guardians stand covering even the vastness of the Fields, a great sea of blades, shields, scythes, claws, bows and almost every other Egyptian weapon you can think of. From the mass arise company standards, banners and flags and great pikes carried by armoured guardians. Highly-decorated, golden chariots and war-trained animals carry dead pharaohs, guarded by elite companies of bodyguards.

They begin chanting - for Horus, for their pharaohs and their own personal warcries - creating an incredible tempest of noise. You can only stare in surprise. You had no idea the Egyptians could summon such a force even when defeated. There are atleast nine thousand men assembled, if not more. Of course, if they went through the trouble of forming it, the Council attackers must have brought thousands of their own as well. You hope most have been pulled back to defend the Silver City.

Horus gives his signal, and the army surges up, heading towards the underworld exit like the waters of a broken dam. The gods quickly follow, and you keep close to Osiris to make sure you don't lose him in the crowd. It soon closes you inside it, warriors violently pushing their way forward. Anyone foolish enough to stop would be quickly trampled underneath, so you make sure to keep running.

You reach the exit, appearing in the palace once again. Ammut joins the army, racing along like some hunting dog. The army begins to break, Horus barking commands over the heads of the warriors. Company commanders rally their troops under the standards and flags, some blowing into ancient bone horns to get the attention of their men. Osiris continues with the main group straight forward, and you see no reason to leave his company. Sounds of battle begin to sound, though if the main group comes under attack, they are quickly silenced. It's advance is not stopped once.

You then hear even over the roar of battle a strangely familiar sound. You've heard it very recently...

Realization hits you a little too late, unfortunately. The palace roof collapses on all levels as the Soul Engines crash into it, the sheer kinetic force vaporizing thick layers of stone and brass. The rubble comes crashing down on the army's heads, crushing hundreds in just a few seconds. There is a distant, dull rumble, like thunder, just before the walls of the corridor explode inwards, sending giant blocks of stone rolling free through the army's ranks.

The dust cloud blocks your vision, and you're thankful your lungs don't actually function as many warriors go down coughing intensively. Then, before anyone can react, the lead Soul Engine lands and opens fire with the whirring cannon. Razor-sharp shards cut through the warriors like paper, and the chants of battle quickly turn into screaming.

Not everyone is so stunned as you, though. Horus roars in anger and charges towards with his elite warriors, descending upon the warmachine like a swarm of locusts. It bats a few aside and slams Horus straight on the side of his head with the blades, but the war-god simply ignores the blow.

The main group has stopped, which is not good. You were relying on the momentum of the Egyptian troops to push the Council's forces out of the palace before they could rally a defense. Still, with the men the Egyptians have at their disposal these Soul Engines should go down quickly enough. You just hope they don't have that many of them.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 15, 2010, 09:29:34 am »

(great writing)
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

quip

• Bay Watcher
  • ???
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 15, 2010, 11:12:18 am »

(great writing)
Also, fight the Soul Engines with the Egyptians, telling the Gods what you know of them
Hell hath no fury like an angry vampire pimp.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 15, 2010, 09:22:03 pm »

Egyptian gods marching into battle. Epic.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 15, 2010, 09:27:39 pm »

No time for explanations, we need to move. Go amongst the troops and sound one of their horns, then charge at the engines and take them down one at a time. If it is distracted, smite it from behind. If it is alert, use your agility and distract it.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21