Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Missing Leg  (Read 2438 times)

Rohain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Missing Leg
« on: July 18, 2010, 03:35:30 am »

I dwarf I am rather fond of just had his leg ripped off, which is more interesting then saddening.  What is saddening however is how he is now in the hospital resting, and doesn't appear to have any intention of leaving.  At first, he was just laying on the field of battle with a bleeding leg stump, once that was magically fixed, he seemed pretty chill about laying on the bloody battlefield.  I looked away, and suddenly I found he had made his way to the hospital three floors down.  I have crutches (two of them) but he seems just fine to lay in bed and be fed by other dwarves.

Anybody have any experience with the life of a legless dorf?

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Leg
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 03:54:28 am »

I've never seen a dwarf use crutches yet, unfortunately.

I've got a dwarf in my hospital right now that got sentenced to 226 days in prison and a beating for murdering an armorsmith and smashing a crappy stone table. The beating was by an axedwarf and chopped his leg off. I'd like for him to get up so that he can go rot in prison like he deserves, but he seems to have figured out a loophole in the penal system...

ikacer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 04:43:26 am »

I have a dwarf who lost a leg to a titan a couple years back and he's not moved from his hospital bed since then. Maybe the crutches are bugged? Anyway, he has made a great Captain of the Guard for the last 2 years.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 09:35:04 am »

i saw crutches assigned once, i wanted exactly sure it was for a dwarf either

maybe a dog or somethin
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 09:38:22 am »

I have the same problem with a furnace operator at the moment. Not the first time either. THe poor bugger i think got it torn off by an elk bird or jabberer or something. Hewent to the hospital but never recieved treatment. Never even got diagnosed. I too am yet to see crutches used. It saddens me. I want to see a dwarf beat something to death with a crutch.
A leg of ham, a jug of beer and thou besides me, whistling in the darkness.

Rohain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 04:24:28 pm »

Okay, the plot thickens with the hospital system.  A mother just used her baby as a shield against a mandrill, while she punched it to death.  Now the mother isn't taking her human she-- Baby to the hospital, anybody know a way to persuade her to part with her infant?  CPS anyone?

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 07:04:29 pm »

Children will go to the hospital methinks. So you just need to wait untill it groes into a child. Then it should recieve help. At least now you arnt getging the . Cancels clean self : Too insane message. :P Mind you that was kinda funny.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 09:42:04 pm »

Anyway, he has made a great Captain of the Guard for the last 2 years.

Hm...

"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 11:00:12 pm »

I've definitely had dwarves show up at my fortress who use crutches.  Or maybe they just had the crutchwalker skill for some stupid reason, but were not maimed?  Not sure.  Funny thing is, a war leopard I have who lost one of his legs just shook it off and went from destroyed red limb to greyed out limb without having to rest.  So what's up with these lazy ass dwarves?

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 11:58:16 pm »

Red to greyed-out...was it a dark grey or a light grey? If it was dark, your leopard's leg is no more. If it was light, that is a damn fast healing.
くコ:彡

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 08:41:51 am »

I'm no expert on hospitals, but have you built containers in there to store the crutches ready for use?  They won't use them direct from a stockpile.

Also the z-Health screen is very useful.  Look up your dwarf, and consult the wiki's excellent page on what it all means.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

bobbens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 02:02:39 pm »

I think this is bugged:

http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=681

I have a dwarf with nerve/sensory damage to a foot who hasn't gotten up either. However another with nerve damage to a hand got a cast set (water bucket bug affected, but managed to solve it) and is doing fine.

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 06:48:33 pm »

It really does depend it seems. I know that i have had crutches in the hospital for both nerve damaged legs and torn off legs and nada. No use of crutches at all. Of course in the current version, nerve damage to hands seems more common. Its a pain in the arse actually, because some continue with their jobs and others become permanent 'on break'. It  does make for a interestingly real system actually.

Rohain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 09:40:31 pm »

Man with the missing leg is continuing to be a drain on society, I'm going to see if dropping the cavern above him next to his bed will get him diagnosed, and then maybe have crutches assigned so he can resume living a normal life.

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 09:47:49 pm »

So far in my observations no amputees get much medical attention. If they loose a leg or loose the ability to stand they are dragged to the hospital and left there. If they loose a hand they will probably survive, but recieve no treatment. Its like amputees will bleed for a while then autocauterize.
Pages: [1] 2