Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Time to try out 31?  (Read 2913 times)

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Time to try out 31?
« on: July 18, 2010, 02:37:23 am »

Its starting to sound like I might be able to go from 40 to 31 soon. It seems to be holding together better.
What do we think, is someone who can barely hang in in 40 enjoy 31?

Terisuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Time to try out 31?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 03:12:47 am »

You'll be good as long as you don't try to use the military like it's still 40d.  The military in .31 is perfectly usable, but totally useless if you try to command it like it's 40d.  Other than that, I've found the other major changes (hospital, caverns, etc) to be generally positive.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 03:23:08 am »

Yep, now that marksdorfs are back, and hospitals are working, it's probably time.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 05:32:09 pm »

Thanks guys.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 05:43:48 pm »

Although it sounds like the next update will clear up some more of the military glitches; anyone who hasn't made the big switch might wait another week or so.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 06:15:39 pm »

Just focus on getting traps around your entrance early and wall off a section of cavern to farm in.  The military is harder to set up, but once you do it basically trains and patrols on its own. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 06:48:12 pm »

I'd wait until 31.11; the main issue for me is the military have real trouble getting group training set up (individual training is fine), and it sounds like that's mostly fixed in the next version.

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 01:00:35 am »

Thanks for the input, I will likely wait until the next update and release of a newbies package.
I have always had issues with water plumbing and it looks like that is more important in this release with the farming changes.
Pongo

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 06:02:56 am »

Plumbing implies you want your irrigation to be some fancy project. Is this because this is the design you have in mind for your fort? Would you settle for a much simpler, faster, practical solution?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 06:31:01 am »

Ya, plumbing (irrigation) is a non-issue unless you embark in a desert or a place without surface-level water (brooks, rivers, oceans, muddy pools).

The easiest way is just digging out an area around a pool, then collapsing the wall and having the water spread.
The almost as easy way: make a pond and have your dwarves water an area from above. Make multiple tiles as individual ponds to speed it up.
The almost almost as easy a way, but still damn easy: a 2x channel to a river. Build fortifications. Build floodgates. Build lever. Link lever to floodgates. Channel water into 2x. Open/close floodgates as you see fit.
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 07:30:57 am »

Wait for .11 - the "dead dwarves still appear in squads" bug (which is already fixed ready for .11 release) is annoying enough on its own.  If you're looking to make the switch and "enjoy" the game, rather than "put up with" it, then I think the next release will probably be the sweet spot between waiting for enough bugs to be squashed and waiting forever for perfection.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 07:40:00 am »

Wait for .11 - the "dead dwarves still appear in squads" bug (which is already fixed ready for .11 release) is annoying enough on its own.  If you're looking to make the switch and "enjoy" the game, rather than "put up with" it, then I think the next release will probably be the sweet spot between waiting for enough bugs to be squashed and waiting forever for perfection.

When I'm finally 50, and DF won't hit 0.8 yet, I'm gonna get in there and smack a solid gold statue of a toad being devoured by demons on Toady's lawn. I actually have a fund for that - and I'm insane enough to make it work.

spooq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 08:22:00 am »

For me, 31.10 is the first of the new versions that is good enough to play. I really wouldn't have recommended anything earlier.

Now if we could just get plaster in hospitals... :)

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 09:16:08 am »

You could certainly start a fortress now.  Traps are plenty powerful enough now to protect your fort until you get a military running, and unless you plan to play 8 hours a day, you probably won't get your fortress built to a size where you really need a military until .11 comes out anyway.

My current fortress is around 6 years old, at 80+ dwarves (I have the pop capped at 100 for speed), has been promoted to a barony, somewhere around 1.5m dwarfbucks of stuff produced, getting regular attacks and I have barely any military at all.   Admittedly I found an embark location that's at the end of a valley so it was easy enough to wall it off then fill the valley with stonefall traps.  But I didn't have a military at all for the first two years.  A bunch of stonefall traps was more than enough to turn away the first few ambushes. 

Even now I'm using drawbridges and magma to wipe out goblin forces rather than deal with the remaining military glitches.  When the military stabilizes enough I'll probably start building squads and attacking goblins directly rather than squashing and/or melting them.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

The1nk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 09:45:13 am »

I'm a newb, and after a few hours (!) of trial and error, the Military is fabulous! (31.10, btw)

I've got two new alerts - one for my full squad of marksdwarves to clear the arena, and one for my marksdwarves to defend the front door.. it works beautifully.

I've got to say.. I enjoy the new military. and my hospital works. which is really nice. :D
Pages: [1] 2 3