Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: living off the tunnels  (Read 1160 times)

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
living off the tunnels
« on: July 17, 2010, 08:17:45 pm »

(Copypasta from it's original thread)
just a log on what happens on a fort that i am building.
LOADOUT:2 miners, 1 mason, 1woodcutter/worker/axeman,1grower and plant/food processor,1 metal smith,1 animal trainer/medic,6 dogs,1 cat.
3rd of granite: We arrive at the site which had a cave, one top level aquifer(2 or so z levels down) and frozen ponds sparsely scattered around the map. There is snow all over The cave obviously leads down to a cavern layer. there is also rotten meat, amulet thingies, and still good plants scattered EVERYWHERE, the meat filling almost all visible cave spaces with miasma. not much has happened except for a little bit of digging and the construction of a mason's workshop, rock doors have been ordered to be built.
here's is some of the landscape.
http://img34.imageshack.us/i/somesurroundings.jpg/

CURRENT POPULATION:2 miners, 1 mason, 1woodcutter/worker/axeman,1grower and plant/food processor,1 metal smith,1 animal trainer/medic,6 dogs,1 cat.
9th of granite:the cavern layer has a magma pool very near it's entrance and a pit leading 6-7 levels directly down to what seem's to be the second cavern layer by it'd vegetation but the pit is no deeper than that. most of the food upstairs have been pulled outside and a carpenter's workshop has been built now making barrels and beds. No hostiles have been seem yet, save for a few various wild animals passing by. we are still gathering the amazing surplus of food known as "still yet to have rotten plants". according to the stocks we have already claimed about 50 with 200 more to spare. a small makeshift moat is beginning to be built, and some but not alll of the snow on the map has melted, and the small ponds remains frozen.

CURRENT POPULATION:2 miners 1 miner, 1 mason, 1woodcutter/worker/axeman,1grower and plant/food processor,1 metal smith,1 animal trainer/medic,6 dogs,1 cat.
26th of granite: FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU......
i have set the moat to be another Z level deep but as one my miners channels the first tile down he strikes an awesome victory pose, followed by a weird dance, screwing up slipping into the empty space which as at an AQUIFER level, while other dwarfs watch in horror as the poor miner promptly freezes to death. -_-
in other words all the rotten meat has been cleared out from upstairs and the remaining ones in the cavern rotted away to nothing. still no cave enemies yet and we are still in stable mood.

9th of slate: raw adamantite!? completely unaccesable by my miners in the bottom of a magma pit inside MY cave fortress?! seriously, i can see straight down to the bottom of the magma ocean...
any way i have a miner digging a little pathway to the magma vent and am gonna build me walls real soon.
heres my loadout as of slate 9
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?be85b1a386.jpg
the main entrance so far.
http://img571.imageshack.us/i/mainentrance.jpg/
and the moat so far
http://img338.imageshack.us/i/moatasofslate9.jpg/
and poor fikod
http://img27.imageshack.us/i/sdeathplace.jpg/

more to come as it goes by.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 09:05:12 pm by iceball3 »

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
Re: living off the tunnels
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 08:24:33 pm »

MediaFire, TinyPic, Photobucket, your options are near endless.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 08:53:09 pm »

I recomend Imageshack, free, and as far as i have used it's unlimited.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 10:17:51 pm »

i have a fortress in the caverns, its year 13 and quite successful
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 10:44:51 pm »

I made a fortress off a kobold cave. The kobolds part went fine. The evil biome full of undead didn't boil over well with the not-dead though. skeletal/zombie horses.

Farms belong in the caverns as far as I'm concerned, I don't bother irrigating with the easy access to muddied soil with only a little digging to reach out to and wall off. Next fort; build in 3rd cavern level from start with entryway walled off for caravan/migrant access. I'm gonna build a huge complex squeezed between it and the magma sea.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.