Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Man of Magicks  (Read 5996 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: Man of Magicks
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2010, 12:04:44 pm »

ok, idea: Use time magic to reduce the time it takes to collect any energies needed for magic/cast spells.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2010, 12:06:45 pm »

That most likely will not work well, it depends upon how magic works and where it comes from.

penguify

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2010, 12:23:41 pm »

That means it will teach us more metamagic!

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2010, 12:39:24 pm »

Better yet- get some books on summoning servants
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2010, 12:53:36 pm »

Stop all this silly stuff, it's time to use our powers properly!

At any point, one normally has two or three forces acting upon oneself - gravity pulling us down, the bouyancy of the medium (usually air or water) pushing us up, and (if standing on a surface) the suport of a surface to prevent ourselves going through this.

now let us remember that momentum is equal to force, or:
mv=Ft
in the above equation, it it t that we control, that we have a mastery of.

Each of there three forces will combine to form our overall momentum, so our motion will be governed by the equation:
mv=t(FB-FG+FS)
Where FB is the force of bouyancy, FG is the force of gravity, and FS is the support of the surface we're on.
However, we should now note that FS is not always present. Instead, it is only present when we would otherwise fall through a surface, or when:
FG>FB
however, this is not often the case - indeed, this only naturally occurs when we are in a very dense medium, so the mass that is displaced is greater than our own. Normally we would be constrained by that, but instead we are a wizard, not limited by such petty things! Furthermore, we are a mighty time wizard! We are bending the very laws of reality, and the one that shall be bent here is the rule that t must be constant. Instead, we can denote the times as such:
mv=FBt1-FGt2+FSt3
Now, using some wizardy maths, let us look at the situation where FBt1>FGt2. FS would not exist, so we get:
mv=FBt1-FGt2
mv>=0
FBt1-FGt2>=0
FBt1>=FGt2
t1/t2>=FG/FB

Let us now denote the time factor T as t1/t2:
T>=FG/FB

So, to summarize: using our time magic, we increase the rate at which the bouyancy force of the medium (air or water or whatever we're in) acts upon us. If we want to simply levitate, we increase it by a factor of T, whereas if we want to accelerate upwards, we increase is by a factor larger than T.

>Put this theory into practice.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2010, 12:59:37 pm »

Whaaaaaaaat :l this stuff is to complicated....
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2010, 01:02:00 pm »

Not quite. I know nothing of math but it looks to me that if you have T>=FG/FB you can not increase FG/FB but upping T. Or rather you can but you wont.

Maybe we can crush people though.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2010, 01:07:21 pm »

Whaaaaaaaat :l this stuff is to complicated....
It's rather simple, actually, I just made a very long way of explaining it.

Since we are a master of time magic, then making things faster/slower is a basic extension of our powers. after all, velocity is displacement divided by time.

What we're doing is increasing the speed at which the constituent molecules hit us. This will make us levitate.

A side effect is that it feel feel to us as if we're under a higher pressure than normal. However, as anyone who has been swimming will attest, the pressure you'd experience for bouyance to equal to gravity would be well withing tolerable bounds - it'd just be uncunfortable, if that.
Not quite. I know nothing of math but it looks to me that if you have T>=FG/FB you can not increase FG/FB but upping T. Or rather you can but you wont.

Maybe we can crush people though.
when I say ">=", I mean greater than or equal to. I just have no such button on my keyboard, and I can't be bothered to hunt down the code for it.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2010, 01:08:24 pm »

Eh okay.

That takes control down to the molecule though, I don't think we have it that fine.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2010, 01:11:56 pm »

We wouldn't need to control each individual molecule. As we would need to do is create a field of accelerated time extending from our body a short distance outwards.

penguify

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2010, 01:15:39 pm »

Couldn't we just decrease the time factor on gravity, thereby rendering us near-weightless? I think it would be safer than messing with high-velocity particles of air.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2010, 01:19:31 pm »

We wouldn't need to control each individual molecule. As we would need to do is create a field of accelerated time extending from our body a short distance outwards.

That will not work because the air under us will quickly run out of molecules and the molecules that do come in will not be enough to lift us. Also they most likely lose speed after they leave the field so they will not float us anyway.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2010, 01:22:34 pm »

I say we try all of this stuff after testing my above idea.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

penguify

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2010, 01:24:20 pm »

Wouldn't the buoyancy idea raise our body temperature to uncomfortably, even dangerously high levels? I think manipulation of gravity is the way to do it.

Anyway, let's adjust the chemical reaction times in our retina to let us see in infrared!

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2010, 01:28:07 pm »

*insane plan*
After working my way through remembering my AP physics course, I think that would actually WORK... Simply accelerate the air around yourself without accelerating yourself or the earth and gravity would not be effected.

Couldn't we just decrease the time factor on gravity, thereby rendering us near-weightless? I think it would be safer than messing with high-velocity particles of air.
No, because that would require slowing the physics of the entire planet to reduce gravity's effect, and you can't do anything THAT big. Plus you would make EVERYTHING ON THE PLANET FLOAT AWAY.

Anyway, let's adjust the chemical reaction times in our retina to let us see in infrared!
Not quite how that would work, but you could blueshift any light that enters your eyes.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6