Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Man of Magicks  (Read 6003 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Man of Magicks
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2010, 11:46:50 pm »

Summon some sort of magical guide or familiar, a black cat maybe, a [­s]talking[­/s] black cat that can sketch, and play charades, to assist us with our studies.
slow ageing
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2010, 11:57:00 pm »

That is boring yet practical, therefore: Retcon! All mages master the ability to slow their own aging early in their training, though time mages are far superior at it. The average wizard lives at least 2 or 3 hundred years.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2010, 01:08:22 am »

Summon some sort of magical guide or familiar, a black cat maybe, a talking black cat that can sketch, and play charades, to assist us with our studies.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2010, 10:14:15 am »

Lift your foot of your mansion floor, and put it down on the floor of a nearby library, only the wear on your soles and slamming of doors to betray to passed through the space in between.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

penguify

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2010, 10:25:59 am »

We don't have enough teleportation magic for that. With a zero, the best we could probably do at the moment is move a grain of sand. Unless you mean to accelerate our own time enough to do that, in which case that's pretty cool, if unnecessary. Remember, we probably have all of the relevant books already.

We should learn to fly.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2010, 11:06:25 am »

Yea, I meant accelerate time to do that.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

penguify

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2010, 11:57:50 am »

The problem with that is that the nearest library is probably on another wandering island. That's why we should learn to fly, so we can travel there more easily. Even fast, it would still be pretty tough to get onto a different island.

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2010, 02:46:14 pm »

Lift your foot of your mansion floor, and put it down on the floor of a nearby library, only the wear on your soles and slamming of doors to betray to passed through the space in between.
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2010, 03:45:00 pm »

Better yet-

Look in your library for a book on the meta magic and how it works (If you want I can make it up for you. Just saying.)
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2010, 09:57:04 pm »

You travel to the nearest library in an instant, accelerating time in a bubble around yourself. Not very impressive seeing as the largest library for miles is in your home, but it's always good to keep in practice, and even with your speed greatly increased walking several miles is quite boring. You then pick out a book on Meta magic and read over it to refresh your knowledge on the subject. Meta magic has almost no direct applications, but it's power is not to be underestimated. It is the study of the very nature of magic, of the arcane flows that encompass the land and make your art possible. A mastery of meta magic does not teach a mage any new spells, but it does make him much more powerful, making his spells harder to resist, his control more precise, and makes the study of other schools much easier. Meta magic also aids in the creation of complex cross-school spells, allowing you to create otherwise impossible effects.

In short, the better your knowledge of meta magic, the more effective you are at everything else you do. The effect is not as great as simply raising the relevant skill, but it still makes a difference.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2010, 10:03:48 pm »

Spend a while practising magic by conjuring some sort of critter, accelerating it, and accelerating the acceleration spell.
Read the First Post!

penguify

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2010, 10:22:39 pm »

Spend a while practising magic by conjuring some sort of critter, accelerating it, and accelerating the acceleration spell.
It will probably just vanish. Or rip our face off. We should do that with a clock or hourglass, then we can measure the effects. We should also see if light works here the same way it does IRL (wavelengths, travel time, etc). I kind of hope it doesn't, because that would make seeing things through time distortions hard. However, it would also (possibly) make creating lenses of distorted time possible, or blinding people, or seeing in infrared.

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2010, 11:03:01 am »

create an aura around our island that rapidly ages any hostile spells directed toward it
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2010, 11:10:10 am »

create an aura around our island that rapidly ages any hostile spells directed toward it
It appears I need to clarify the size of this island: It's a country. You own a mansion near the edge, but the entire thing is closer to the size of a small state.

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2010, 11:16:59 am »

create an aura around our mansion that rapidly ages any hostile spells directed toward it
fixd
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6