Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Man of Magicks  (Read 5990 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Man of Magicks
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2010, 01:38:25 pm »

*insane plan*
After working my way through remembering my AP physics course, I think that would actually WORK... Simply accelerate the air around yourself without accelerating yourself or the earth and gravity would not be effected.

That will not work because the air under us will quickly run out of molecules and the molecules that do come in will not be enough to lift us. Also they most likely lose speed after they leave the field so they will not float us anyway.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2010, 01:50:07 pm »

As long as the field moves with you there will always be more molecules to lift you. The field would have to extend all the way to the ground to function properly though, so height would be limited.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

penguify

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2010, 01:54:10 pm »

Not quite how that would work, but you could blueshift any light that enters your eyes.
Yeah, that's what I meant to say.

As long as the field moves with you there will always be more molecules to lift you. The field would have to extend all the way to the ground to function properly though, so height would be limited.
Rather than extend the field all the way to the ground, couldn't one extend the field in a wide-based cone, like a pile of sand, and let the pressure be distributed evenly against the large quantity of air at the base? It would require a large field, but it's size wouldn't increase proportionately to altitude (unless we go into the upper atmosphere).

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2010, 07:24:57 pm »

(Seeing as everyone seems to have totally different plans, I'll go with the one I like the most. Also, possible or not, I don't like the idea of a mage using modern physics knowledge without any explanation. I won't forbid it, but some experimentation will have to be done first.)

ok, idea: Use time magic to reduce the time it takes to collect any energies needed for magic/cast spells.
Regardless of your plans, you will need power to carry them out. You take a large hourglass to the top of the mansion's highest tower and enchant it to absorb ambient magic from the air. You then layer another enchantment atop the first to increase the speed at which the magic collects. The sand in the hourglass will slowly move to the upper half as it accumulates power, which can then be used to fuel larger spells than you own reserves are capable of. It's still nothing next to the power you could control with access to a magical Flow, but they are immobile, and only rarely do the islands pass by one.

Spoiler: stats (click to show/hide)
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2010, 08:31:46 pm »

Also, possible or not, I don't like the idea of a mage using modern physics knowledge without any explanation.
It's not modern physics as such, the physics involved stretched from between the time of Archimedes to the time of Newton.

>Draw a circle on the ground. Attempt to speed up/slow down time within this circle. Take note of power requirements, sustainability, ingredients, whether the effect is constant or varies with position in the circle. Chuck various bits of debris through the circle and observe whether they can enter/exit intact.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]