Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any luck melting frozen rivers?  (Read 4441 times)

pickupsticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Any luck melting frozen rivers?
« on: July 17, 2010, 07:35:39 pm »

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck using fire to melt frozen bodies of water.
I've stood close to burning trees to warm water that's frozen in my water bottle (I think, unless it was just the sun coming up) but when I tried to melt a brook enough to get a drink DF went and crashed on me.
Not sure if this was caused by the fire/brook interaction, or something else altogether.
I've not had time to test it again yet, so thought I'd see if anyone else on here has any direct experience already.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: Any luck melting frozen rivers?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 07:53:42 pm »

General rule of thumb for freezing bodies of water, stay away from them.

As for the topic itself, the only way you can unfreeze water is to become a creature with an incredibly high body temperature. I've yet to see a topic that gives instructions on how to unfreeze water in adventure mode. Your best bet for staying hydrated is to find some booze or drink vomit soaked blood.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

pickupsticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 08:05:13 pm »

Damn winter.

I don't really want to steal any booze from the local towns - I've got plans in this part of the world before I move on and upsetting the locals would be a Bad Thing.  Guess I'll have to drink some blood from the animals I'm killing... not really in the spirit of my pilgrimmage to the temple of the peace god.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 08:10:03 pm »

Damn winter.

I don't really want to steal any booze from the local towns - I've got plans in this part of the world before I move on and upsetting the locals would be a Bad Thing.  Guess I'll have to drink some blood from the animals I'm killing... not really in the spirit of my pilgrimmage to the temple of the peace god.

'P' it's your best friend when deciding on whether or not the map is suitable to go skinny dipping. As for booze, it is occasionally stolen from civilizations from semi-megabeasts. Sometimes it's worth, sometimes it's not, you can also make booze in a fort, then abandon to reclaim the booze as an adventurer.

edit: I found this in another topic, give it a try

Code: [Select]
dump in material inorganic file
[INORGANIC:COAL_BONFIRE]
   [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONE_TEMPLATE]
   [STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:bonfire][DISPLAY_COLOR:0:7:1][TILE:15]
   [ITEM_SYMBOL:15]
   [IGNITE_POINT:11000]
   [MELTING_POINT:NONE]
   [MAT_FIXED_TEMP:12000]
   [SPEC_HEAT:10000]
   [BOILING_POINT:NONE]
   [SOLID_DENSITY:10000]
   [IS_STONE]
dump in the reactions other
[REACTION:BONFIRE_START]
[NAME:Ignite large fire]
[ADVENTURE_MODE_ENABLED]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BOULDER:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:COAL_BONFIRE]
[FUEL]
[SKILL:SMELT]
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 08:13:07 pm by Creamcorn »
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

pickupsticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 08:22:17 pm »

There's no way in hell I'll be going swimming - it's freezing!  Don't need P to tell me that, haha.
Snow everywhere too, which makes finding things very tricky in the dark.  If the town I just left wasn't embroiled in some kind of buzzard-orgy I'd have stayed there and slept until the next day... but all those animals were bound to massacre the frame-rate so (perhaps foolishly) I decided to walk over to look for the brook.

Guess I can try it again when I reload, thanks to the crash, give sleep a chance while I go off and have a sandwich or something.

Making a fort just to set up a cache of supplies feels kinda cheaty to me (however it's an option I might explore if this adventurer perishes).
The only cave within walking distance is about two days northwards, and has a bronze collosus resident there.  Assuming I could make the journey without dehydrating (and hoping that there's some booze there to grab) I don't think I'm ready to fight it with just a knife and some sharpened rocks!  It's not like there are any fluffy wamblers around here, although I have caught a butterfly and a rat as companions for my wanderings.

Blood looks like my best option for now.  Wet and salty... and given the weather, nice and cold too.  Which might help with the taste a bit.

EDIT: bonfire, eh?  Interesting.  Not that I've got any coal on me!  How does the temperature from this compare to that of a burning tree?  And what temperature does water melt at?  I'm at work at the moment which means no DF for me and no wiki to look things up either, as it's blocked.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 08:26:32 pm by pickupsticks »

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 08:42:28 pm »

First reaction creates the fuel, second one ignites it.

pickupsticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 08:48:04 pm »

Right-so.
 :)

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 08:53:25 pm »

Sooo, just put in the correct raw files and you can try to melt the water with your flaming rock.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 09:23:45 pm »

Sooo, just put in the correct raw files and you can try to melt the water with your flaming rock.
well you might need a higher temp rock to melt that. but chances are that bonfire will be put out once the tile under it melts and it will refreeze. so the best option is to create a bag stick the forever burning coal into the bag and dump it on the river. 
though all this talk about freezing rivers giving me the idea of making a ice fort in adventure mode from freezing and melting the ocean or glacier. the only obstacle from I can see from this is the off chance of drowning and being frozen in ice, or worst falling 100 feet under water(and not drown) from the burning rock and trap under the sea with broken kneecaps. wish me luck.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

pickupsticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 10:48:58 pm »

Bonne Chance

* pickupsticks looks at clock and wonders when he can go home

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 02:45:22 am »

well after testing this all you need is 1 bonfire(best in a bag) to melt ice on the same floor being on top of the ice well not so much luck.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 03:33:14 am »

Dude, this makes me want to build an ice fort too, and then do battle with captured creatures. And then fight a demon, but melt the castle as were fighting. o:!
Lisidadil - A story of one of my first forts.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.