Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Most efficient perpetual power source design?  (Read 2427 times)

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
Most efficient perpetual power source design?
« on: July 17, 2010, 06:56:23 pm »

I've checked the wiki, and have tried their designs, but I keep on screwing up and having to scrap the entire waterwheel/pump designs. My fort's in a somewhat low water source region with nothing but the little bits of water I've stored in my reservoir. So just asking if anyone has any unique/efficient powersource designs that doesn't huge amounts of water they'd like to share.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
Re: Most efficient perpetual power source design?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 06:58:33 pm »

I've checked the wiki, and have tried their designs, but I keep on screwing up and having to scrap the entire waterwheel/pump designs. My fort's in a somewhat low water source region with nothing but the little bits of water I've stored in my reservoir. So just asking if anyone has any unique/efficient powersource designs that doesn't huge amounts of water they'd like to share.
Have you tried digging down into the caverns to find water? I for one don't mess with perpetual energy- it's windmill farms for me, thanks.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 07:19:21 pm »

yea, but it's so much more awesome to just make a homemade generator right in the living room and live off of that.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 07:21:30 pm »

True. One project I never have gotten around to is having a waterfall at the center of my spiral staircase, with a reservoir at the bottom being pumped back up to the top.

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 07:28:23 pm »

I am always thinking of ways to adapt my forts wholey around watre gardens and flowing water.  Mist generation is cool for dwarfs, but I like to see pools with smoothed and engraved border designs or I start random kilings.

drayath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 08:07:35 pm »

Well here is the one i have just built and have running (a bit overkill as it produces exports over 1000 power used to power 2 millstones!) i have set it up to to get the initial water from a murky pool (can be done one cell at a time to allow the pool to be filled with rain). In use it consumes no water.

There us a master leaver to control murky pool flood gate. Then each cell have levers to disengage the gears, or open the floorgate to charge that cell, and one to active the two hatch covers at each end of a cell. (disengage gear, and activate hatch covers to stop a cell if required).
The incoming water has diagonals at each level to ensure no pressure based accidents.
There are downstairs under the axils in the control room, this allows access to all the machinery components in the cell for building.
To build/connect up the hatch covers need to either build them before the pumps, or as in cell 2 above put a temp hole in the wall to connect them up.
Each cell outputs ~300 power after pumps/gears etc.

Each cell is actually using 16 (7/7) water. You can run on under half this but can lose water to evaporation.
Drayath's Gem Splitting Workshop - Split large gems and gem trinkets into numbers of small gems.
Drayath's Seed Brewery - Convert bags of spare seeds into useful booze.

win32anon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 08:44:07 pm »

Well here is the one i have just built and have running (a bit overkill as it produces exports over 1000 power used to power 2 millstones!) i have set it up to to get the initial water from a murky pool (can be done one cell at a time to allow the pool to be filled with rain). In use it consumes no water.

There us a master leaver to control murky pool flood gate. Then each cell have levers to disengage the gears, or open the floorgate to charge that cell, and one to active the two hatch covers at each end of a cell. (disengage gear, and activate hatch covers to stop a cell if required).
The incoming water has diagonals at each level to ensure no pressure based accidents.
There are downstairs under the axils in the control room, this allows access to all the machinery components in the cell for building.
To build/connect up the hatch covers need to either build them before the pumps, or as in cell 2 above put a temp hole in the wall to connect them up.
Each cell outputs ~300 power after pumps/gears etc.

Each cell is actually using 16 (7/7) water. You can run on under half this but can lose water to evaporation.

Could you post it in ASCII, i'm having hard time reading this tilesets.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 10:31:38 pm »

so do I.
too used to the original DF version.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 10:36:00 pm »

I'm having a hard time reading that tileset, and I USE a tileset.

Zajadu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Pulse Life Entertainment
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 10:53:46 pm »

I use THAT tileset and I don't understand.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 01:34:18 am »

It's a connected series of water reactors from the wiki. Top picture is bottom level, the X boxes are floodgates to cut off drainage into each individual cell. the 4 cells have 2 screw pumps and 4 water wheels each. Since all a water wheel needs is moving water beneath it, you can pump water up from parallel trenches into a channel on the pump output level (which dumps the water right back into the split trenches, creating flow and activating the water wheels.) Generated power is linked to the fortress power train through the tops of the screw pumps. The lever array on the top floor is used for (a) connecting/disconnecting a cell from the power train using gear assemblies, (b) draining water out of the reactors to safely disengage them, and (c) open the individual cell floodgates to refill the water canals.

I'm jealous of the design, I'd never have thought to use a top-side linkage to avoid having to prime the pumps manually.

Basic Dwarven Reactor:
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Waterwheel

just past halfway down.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

drayath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 08:00:56 am »

Try this one then. ansi, random dwarfs removed, colors artificially matched and with annotations.
Surprising the improvements in post quality when written before midnight!

Drayath's Gem Splitting Workshop - Split large gems and gem trinkets into numbers of small gems.
Drayath's Seed Brewery - Convert bags of spare seeds into useful booze.

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 08:11:18 am »

I use THAT tileset and I don't understand.

ditto

im gonna stick to slave er i mean dwarf labor

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 05:51:05 pm »

Try this one then. ansi, random dwarfs removed, colors artificially matched and with annotations.
Surprising the improvements in post quality when written before midnight!

hmm... if you look at it carefully enough, it kinda reminds you of a pack of 4 AA batteries.