Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting objects to float  (Read 802 times)

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Getting objects to float
« on: July 17, 2010, 04:32:12 pm »

In an upcoming fortress, I plan to build a tower with a catapult on the roof. Now, this tower is going to be at least 10 z-levels tall, which is obviously rather far from sources of stone. Since I don't want to waste hauling time by having haulers lug boulders up 10 flights of stairs (and, of course, in the name of dwarven science), I plan to build a 2x2 shaft (surrounded by walls) in the tower, with access points at the top and bottom, where stone is dumped. This shaft will be filled with pressurized water, thus (hopefully) floating the rocks up toward the top.

The question is, of course, if it's possible to get objects (doesn't have to be stone) to float upwards. Has anyone had any experience with this, or any other relevant pressure or flow-related phenomenon?
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
Re: Getting objects to float
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 05:08:19 pm »

i dont think theres a [DENSITY] tag in the raws, and i also believe that it rocks in catapults lose their 'squashing' ability after it drops a z-level, i read about this happening for ballista arrows, but not catapult, so im not exactly sure

and ifs your that willing to get rocks up there with ease, make an obsidian farm with a miner closeby
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

aepurniet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 05:09:01 pm »

you have to use dwarves.  its easy to transport stuff down without dwarves, and a little tricky to move it sideways.  but up i only happening with dwarf power.

if http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=61179.0 this ever gets implemented perhaps it could be modified to transport stone, along with water.  i think its on the better mechanics eternal voting thread.

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 05:20:38 pm »

Dangit. Oh well, it'll keep the haulers busy until dwarven engineers invent the elevator. And the catapult is mostly for the training of siege engineers and stone dumping in the most amusing possible manner, since (at least in 40d) stones kept their squishing power as they fell. At least if the random chunks of hoary marmot around ground zero are anything to go by. :D
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 05:21:45 pm »

i dont think theres a [DENSITY] tag in the raws

Wait. What? Are you serious?

Of course there's a density tag for materials. How else could a silver sword weigh more than a wooden one?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 06:22:33 pm »

stones kept their squishing power as they fell.
I do believe this is wrong, last I remember catapults only worked on the level they were fired from.

Mitbick

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell Dwarf Fortress without autism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 06:24:41 pm »

The final answer is that there is no [BUOYANCY] tag. Things don't float.
... Then try to figure out what to do with an entrance that's permanently on fire.

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 06:37:28 pm »

stones kept their squishing power as they fell.
I do believe this is wrong, last I remember catapults only worked on the level they were fired from.

...Then what the hell squished that marmot? My military were all off-duty, and the nearby masons ran at the sight of the things. O.o

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 09:05:40 pm »

Catapults are straight-line devices that only fire at things on the same Z-level, so a catapult on the roof will be useless.

As pointed out, nothing floats in water.  Physics in DF just doesn't work that way.  It is however theoretically possible to build a mechanical device to throw objects upwards using retracting bridges, but the device to do this will be complex, slow, and inefficient.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 09:40:32 pm »

Catapults are straight-line devices that only fire at things on the same Z-level, so a catapult on the roof will be useless.

As pointed out, nothing floats in water.  Physics in DF just doesn't work that way.  It is however theoretically possible to build a mechanical device to throw objects upwards using retracting bridges, but the device to do this will be complex, slow, and inefficient.

Not to mention the direction it gets flipped tends to be random.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 02:10:14 am »

Short answer: stuff floating in water is a problem Toady has yet to tackle. He covered some of the details of this problem in a DF talk somewhere. Also, the catapult was from the 2D era where there were no z-levels, hence this strange behaviour of only being effective on the same z-level.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.