Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need some help digging a central spiral rampway.  (Read 540 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need some help digging a central spiral rampway.
« on: July 17, 2010, 03:49:57 pm »

While I'd understand how to construct one and is easier for me to picture in my head, however I've never actually DUG a spiral rampway before. Its still early in the second year of my fort (the first Elven caravan hasn't arrived yet), so I don't have the manpower (or dwarfpower, in this case) to consider building one as I only have one mason atm.

The thing is that I just can't figure out whats the best way to start it out or how to designate one. I did dig a small spiral rampway before (for a graveyard entrance) but that one was small and simple compared to what I'm trying to do, and I want to do a double spiral, but I don't know where to start.

I tried to dig out a spiral rampway in another fort, but ended up botching it. Its also harder because unlike constructions, you can't undo what you dug, so to speak.

I may hold off on creating it, but after hearing that it would help with FPS (not having FPS issues right now though), I want to try it out.

Oh yea, the area that I'm working with (and have designated) is 15x15 square, plus it'll be 27 z-levels tall.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 08:44:45 pm by smjjames »

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
Re: Need some help digging a spiral staircase.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 04:05:07 pm »

My recommendation is to take a look at Ardentdikes in the community games forum. That's what I used to understand spiral design.
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
Re: Need some help digging a spiral staircase.
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 04:40:52 pm »

If you dig out something you didn't want to, you can just build a wall there.

And you can't dig a spiral staircase, since they only go up and down. You probably want a spiral ramp.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need some help digging a central spiral rampway
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 08:40:00 pm »

Yea thats what what i meant, a spiral rampway.  Sometimes people have said spiral staircase or something to that effect.

My recommendation is to take a look at Ardentdikes in the community games forum. That's what I used to understand spiral design.

Thanks!, That one is certainly illuminating on it. :)

Coincidentially, it uses the same 15x15 square box area that I wanted to use.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 10:23:53 pm by smjjames »