Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Multiple Clothing Feature  (Read 434 times)

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Multiple Clothing Feature
« on: July 17, 2010, 12:40:51 pm »

Now that the multiple clothing bug has been fixed, it's time to add it back. That's right, as a multiple clothing FEATURE! :D

It's things like this which give DF some of it's awesome personality. Someone wearing a dozen hats or carrying 5 shields just makes them rock all the more.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am very happy that the bug itself was squashed, and I'd like it to remain so.

What I would like to see is an intentional feature that makes certain dwarfs equip multiple items. Legendary dwarfs can get away with weird personality quirks like wearing a hat and boots and nothing else, or carrying 3 weapons in each hand. And who can forget Mr. Cloaks, aka the dungeon master? :)

Dwarfs already have the occasional preferences for weapons, clothing, etc, maybe it could tie in with this so they pick up and wear more of their favorite item.

That said, I would like it to do a bit of sanity checking, such as if I have 5 military dwarfs who need weapons, I wouldn't want to see one legendary pick up all the available weapons and leave the others SOL.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 12:42:52 pm by Beeskee »
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Clothing Feature
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 12:45:06 pm »

How does a "personality quirk" allow you to break all manner of biology and logistics and hold three weapons in one hand?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 12:51:40 pm »

How does a "personality quirk" allow you to break all manner of biology and logistics and hold three weapons in one hand?

They shatter the universe with their very awesomeness. Duh. :D

Seriously when I said sanity checking I meant it. A dwarf COULD conceivably hold 3 daggers in each hand but maybe not 3 swords, or something like that. It'd be up to Toady to determine the exact rules.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 12:57:26 pm »

Probably not worth the effort. Unless...

The new procedural generation stuff opens the door for the possibility of mutation. Dwarves exposed to the wrong chemicals could sprout extra limbs... and *then* they should get more gloves.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 08:36:44 pm »

Sword-chucks, yo?

Probably not worth the effort. Unless...

The new procedural generation stuff opens the door for the possibility of mutation. Dwarves exposed to the wrong chemicals could sprout extra limbs... and *then* they should get more gloves.

I believe you mean "right" chemicals.  Do not for even an instant doubt that players have any moral qualms acid-bathing babies to see if the ones that survive would get even a +1 to musical ability.

Also, if this were put only on the legendaries... Is it now like Fallout or something, where you get a new perk at "levelup", so you can pick "sprout a new hand, carry more guns!"

Honestly, I'm starting to think of the Munchkin card game where you could pick up treasure like a "Supersonic heat-seeking hands-free spitwad launcher" (which was basically a giant straw that curled around the munchkin's neck, had a laser sight, and was hooked up to the munchkin's mouth) and allowed the player to have an additional bonus to attack without taking up any hands so you could carry more weapons.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare