Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: best way to kill caged animal  (Read 14890 times)

10dollar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
best way to kill caged animal
« on: July 17, 2010, 09:00:40 am »

I have all these random animals (mandrills, hoary marmots etc) that were caught in my cage traps.  What is the best way to kill them to get their meat and skin?  Is there a way to butcher a caged animal?

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: best way to kill caged animal
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 09:04:47 am »

I think you can mark them for slaughter if you go to the "animals" section of the Z menu. If they aren't listed, get a dwarf to tame them. They should be in that list then. Once the animal is marked for slaughter, someone with the "butchery" labor enabled will come by and do their thing. If you've got the necessary workshops, it's pretty automated past that.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Haekel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 09:05:56 am »

You can only butcher tame animals.

To tame them, build a kennels and select "tame large animal" or similar and select the animal. Make sure you got a drwarf with "Animal Trainer" enabled Mind that you cannot tame every animal with an animal trainer, for some you'll need the Dungeon Master.

To release the (wild) animals, build the cage (b, j) and link it to a lever. You can then kill them with a hunter or your military and butcher the remains.

Agamemnon

• Bay Watcher
  • Function - unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 09:09:24 am »

better: release the animals onto a patch of upright spike traps.
Glossary #52
Execution shaft aka. dwarven wormhole

Works as follows: Things enter one end, emerge at the other and then get eaten by worms.

10dollar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 09:11:23 am »

lol, I like the upright spike trap idea.  Thanks for the ideas!

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 09:39:15 am »

There was an idea once, about putting the cage in front of...or was it behind? Your archery ranges.

But that's silly, because I can't get it to work. Next thing I'll be trying is to put the prisoner cage into a room with fortifications on one end of it, and let my marksdwarves shoot the prisoner to death once he's freed.

...and to think I'm against capital punishment in real life!
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 09:53:05 am »

1. build levers attached to cages.
2. build several trapdoors around the cages, link to another lever.
3. Channel magma underneith the floor of the trapdoors.
4. wait for animals to wander onto trap doors. pull lever.
5.?????
6. Profit.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 10:02:38 am »

Who needs magma when you have an efficient rock remover(Catapult) or a ballista?
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Eich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 10:32:42 am »

Hm I think I've seen this in one of Captain Ducks tutorial videos, just build a giant tower. Then drop the "content" of the cage from the highest point. If the tower was high enough just a red splatter will remain...
At this time, a friend shall lose his friend's hammer and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight o'clock.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 12:35:49 pm »

I'd suggest boiling them: Make a room with a flood-gate controlled lava room below it. Put the creatures in the top room, lever release them, then put enough water in the room to get to 1/2 level depth -- a few buckets from above works fine -- and let the lower room fill with lava. The heat, transmitted into the water from below, will fairly quickly fry everything in the room above. Let the lava drain back out and the water dry, then send your dwarves in to pick up the remains.

Last time I tried it was back in 0.31.04, but I think it'll still work. Maybe. Worth a shot, anyway.

More functionally, the upright spike thing works more or less the best. Quick, efficient, less chance of destroying your fortress, etc.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hailthefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 02:18:19 pm »

I've been trying to build a drowning room but keep forgetting little details. The first time, I forgot to lock the doors. The second time, I forgot to put a roof over the channel that let the water in so they just climbed out.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 07:49:02 pm »

I usually have soldiers fight them for fun. Station a guard around them, in a room with a cage trap filled exit. Blood and fun.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 08:34:38 pm »

Wild animals have a nasty tendency to escape, as opposed to caged prisoners. The best way to deal with them is to throw them off the balcony after setting the cages up in the middle of weapon traps. If you don't want to make a mess (hauling jobs cause lag and butchery takes even more time), you can set up weapon traps with iron+ spikes and throw the animals on them. Piercing weapons shouldn't break pieces off and should be an instant kill. Then butcher the whole corpse for all the bones and skull.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 08:56:47 pm »

I usually have soldiers fight them for fun. Station a guard around them, in a room with a cage trap filled exit. Blood and fun.
That requires a ton of linking to levers x.x
I tried doing that with crundles for a while, not worth it.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

s20dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2010, 09:08:55 pm »

I have all these random animals (mandrills, hoary marmots etc) that were caught in my cage traps.  What is the best way to kill them to get their meat and skin?  Is there a way to butcher a caged animal?

I too have pondered long over this question. In the end I always decide, fuck the meat... let them burn.

Step 1  Build a complicated magma system capable of dumping magma into a room in a second.

Step 2 Fill room with wooden cages
pic:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Step 3. Pull the lever.....   8)
pic:

Alternate method:

Build a pointless arena and pit various beasts against the goblins and your army.
pic:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 09:13:49 pm by s20dan »