Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: why am i lagging  (Read 1176 times)

Sabre of Pain

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Dragon
    • View Profile
why am i lagging
« on: July 17, 2010, 08:01:50 am »

my cpu is runs at 30-50% my ram usage is at 52% almost constantly and my graphics card never goes above 7% yet the game runs at about 80 fps if the population goes above about 90
2x5 rectangle with a volcano and not a particularly large amount of earth uncovered

i should be running at 100 fps but it continues to slow as my population rises
its so very cold up here in canada... or maybe thats just because i'm naked.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
Re: why am i lagging
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 08:19:16 am »

i get  40 fps tops

one fort i have runs 3 fps

shuuuussh
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 08:21:46 am »

Dwarf fortress... kinda needs so much CPUs. If you want less lag you can use an older version until you upgrade you pc
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Sabre of Pain

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 08:31:47 am »

my cpu is runs at 30-50%

i meant to say "is running" but yeah its not my cpu

Mr.Elendig

• Bay Watcher
  • [TWISTED][INSANE][CANT_SPELL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 08:43:48 am »

If you have a dualcore, it might report that your are only using 50% cpu, but that single core that df is running on will be running maxed out.

Sidenote: overclocking can do wonders, but ofcourse it comes with a slight risc.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 08:44:33 am »

Similar problem with mine. It's fine in the 90s and 80s, as long as I'm near the surface and don't have more than maybe 30 dwarves.
But soon after, it goes DOWN. Even with all animals caged, all unnecessary pathways declared "restricted traffic", and no moving bodies of water...25 FPS :(

Edit: Is there no way of making DF run on both cores simultaneously?
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Sabre of Pain

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 09:01:03 am »

hmm... i hope toady plans on integrating multi core support at some point then because having 13.6 ghz of processing power isnt very useful if only 3.4 of it is being used...
unless i for some reason wanted to simultaneously run 4 instances of DF

Haekel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 09:12:12 am »

I heard something about multicore-ing. For it being possible, it would be necessary to rewrite most of the gamecode, so it's not likely to happen anytime soon (or at all).

Sabre of Pain

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 09:19:48 am »

i looked into it and its on the eternal voting list (#37 as of this post) now i don't know a damned thing about coding but, i would think due to the nature of the way DF handles... everything, that it would be easy to write said code. however i also agree that it would require a lot of code to be re-written, and as such if it was ever released it would likely be in one of the large updates (like DF2010) which would probably be a long time from now  :(

hey guys you know what you should totally do? vote for multi threading!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 09:26:11 am by Sabre of Pain »

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 09:36:53 am »

Multi threading is, imho, of undebatable importance for DF. Almost all modern, and even not so modern (such as my half-a-decade-old one) personal computing machines, have their processing power spread out over multiple cores. And DF requires a lot of processing power. It's a game full of complexity and detail, and most of it has to be dealt with in real-time. Unless DF experiences an unfortunate case of down-dumbing, it'll eventually have to upgrade to have multi-core support.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 03:44:50 pm »

But if I'm right it must be passble to run a virual pc program on your computer and use that to create a single virual core for dwarf fortress containing both cores. This might come at a small cost in therms of total processing power but it should be better than to waste 50-75% of your cpu.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

marcusbjol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 03:58:20 pm »

hmm... i hope toady plans on integrating multi core support at some point then because having 13.6 ghz of processing power isnt very useful if only 3.4 of it is being used...
unless i for some reason wanted to simultaneously run 4 instances of DF

Very few games are multicore. 

And due to the overhead of multiple cpus (programming), one will never see a liner addition of core speeds.  A well written program will use less CPU cycles on 1 core than on many.  That is why one never sees a computer advertised as 13.6 ghz; its always a quad core 3.4ghz.

fanatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 12:37:04 am »

There have been countless threads on the subject. With the result you see in DF2010. Which goes along a "kinda something" line, since unless i am wrong graphics have their own thread now.

This didnt help too much because it is mostly the game engine thread that is overloaded. However bottom line is thah DF likely uses not-really-optimized algorithms, so optimising them should be much easier that multithreading, and with greated benefit.

Whenever toady decides to switch from adding stuff to optimizing it .
fanatic cancels play DF : gone berzerk at framerate.                                                  x1000
------------------------
Pour magma first - ask questions later!

Tokkius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 02:53:55 am »

I have a quad core 2.8 GHz processor, and I can run a 150 dwarf fort with 200+ animals at around 40-60 FPS. People say multicore does absolutely nothing, but...

Xenoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 03:15:35 am »

What you have is a *fast* multicore processor.

DF is to all intents and purposes unthreaded.  Having multiple cores does not make a significant performance increase, apart from its ability to dedicate and entire core to DF.

Also, do not get mislead into thinking that saying 2.8Ghz tells us anything about your CPU.  2.8GHz processors were being produced 8 years ago - architecture differences are huge, however, meaning an 8 year old 2.8GHz will get run into the ground my a modern laptop processor running at 1GHz.
Pages: [1] 2