Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Map format - how are tiles represented?  (Read 689 times)

huhwhozat

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels mysterious construction: taken by mood
    • View Profile
Map format - how are tiles represented?
« on: July 17, 2010, 12:50:05 am »

Okay, I know SOMEONE out there knows how to interpret the arcana that are the fortress maps.  This has been done for viewers like Stonesense and 3Dwarf and such.  Would someone be able to explain to me how maps are represented, or at least point me in the direction necessary to learn?

(For background: I have decent programming experience in numerous languages, including but hardly limited to C++; I'm not going to balk at simple terms.  I am most interested in land - rock, dirt, etc - and not so much entities at this point - dwarves, animals, trees.)

Thanks!
        Did you sense a disturbance in the dwarf?
        edit: ... as if millions of kittens suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.
        edit2: I fear something delicious has happened.

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Map format - how are tiles represented?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 12:52:55 am »

Use this.

huhwhozat

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels mysterious construction: taken by mood
    • View Profile
Re: Map format - how are tiles represented?
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 12:57:02 am »

Thanks.  I browsed over DFHack, not knowing what it really does.  I even checked through the source on github, looking at tools and such for examples.  I didn't see anything that would be helpful - but then I only looked at it for about 30 min.  Is there anyone out there with DFHack experience that can point me at a more specific example or some more information?

Thank you though.  I really appreciate the swift response.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 01:00:45 am by huhwhozat »
        Did you sense a disturbance in the dwarf?
        edit: ... as if millions of kittens suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.
        edit2: I fear something delicious has happened.