Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Some newbie questions  (Read 2681 times)

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
Re: Some newbie questions
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2010, 02:52:23 pm »

Build a floodgate, connect it to a lever, pull once to fill reservoir, pull again to stop.

(q)uery the chair, and designate it as a "study/throne room" or something like that. Once you've designated the room, (a)ssign it to the dwarf in question. Hope that helps.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

mwanafalsafa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2010, 08:14:14 pm »

So I tried to build a reservoir but it didn't work so well...

I placed the floodgate and connected it a lever, but when my miner opened a connection with the river the water pushed the floodgate down the hallway and flooded my reservoir and a connecting tunnel. The rest of my fortress is safe from the water, however. So am I supposed to secure the floodgate in place somehow?

Also, how do I build a tunnel straight down? I understand this is necessary for a well and I'd also like to try and make a dump at the bottom of a long garbage chute, as well as some big halls with 2 or 3 story high ceilings... but I can't figure out how to dig up and down other than by building stairs

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2010, 09:25:08 pm »

How exactly did you place the floodgate?

Also, to dig straight down (d)esignate an area to be c(h)anneled. The area below will be mined out with it. Just go down one level at a time. Stairs are fine even for the garbage chute, just build a hatch cover over the top one to keep it sealed off.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

mwanafalsafa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010, 01:44:46 am »

I placed it via the build menu... like I would place a piece of furniture. I put it in a 1 square-wide hall way, 1 square away from the river, so once the wall of the river was mined it was 2 squares away. Apparently it was opened when I had my miner dig through to the river (I thought it was closed) but that wouldn't have been a problem anyway as I had plenty of time to pull the lever to close it, and I did. But by that time the water had pushed it onto the downward stairs I had built at the end of the small 1 square-wide hallway and water was flowing freely down the stairs into the reservoir area.

bremarv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2010, 04:18:01 am »

not played for long, but I haven't had any of my floodgates being pushed around so far. sounds weird.

As for water pressure, you could try forcing the water trough a diagonal to de-pressurize it.
the future isn't the present on steroids. The future is a mutated bacteria that you never saw coming. - Annalee Newitz
there are certain rooms that should not have lava moats. Namely danger room, and daycare rooms.
I prefer dwarves for some things. Like not laying eggs.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2010, 06:08:16 am »

That really sounds like the floodgate was never actually built - a dwarf brought it over then dropped it on the ground. Which suggests you connected the lever to some other floodgate or something entirely different. Do check: the 't' view can show whether it's been built or if it's just an item on the ground.

1: stockpiles for food and the other stuff in the wagon
2: carpentry and masonry workshops
3: bedrooms and a dining hall
4: an underground farm
5: a kitchen and a brewery

I've made stockpiles for cloth, leather, food and finished goods, but when I breakdown my wagon I still see items on the ground... but no dwarves have moved them anywhere... is there another type of stockpile I should be making to get everything from the wagon inside? So far I've just embarked with the default items.
Steps 2~3 and 4 can happen at the same time. Brewery is much more essential than a kitchen. As for items left on the ground, why not loo'k' at what they are? That should tell you what stockpiles you want.

Speaking of which, you don't want the default items. At least get rid of the crutches, splints and maybe buckets. Also remove the thread, cloth and maybe bags as you can get those by caravan before you actually need them (for moods). Spend the points you freed up on maxing out skills on all dwarves, then spend the rest on whatever you want (food, seed, booze, wood, stone, fuel, ore)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 06:11:38 am by Psieye »
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2010, 07:40:48 am »

If you need to farm faster, it's largely a matter of farmer skill.

There are a few things you can do though:

a) Disable all labors except for farming fields on your farmer.
b) Make a seed stockpile right next to your farm.
c) Make a plant stockpile right next to your farm.

Yes, if your dwarfs were dehydrated, you probably ran out of booze.  If your water is freezing, you'll want to find or make an underground water source; water with a natural ceiling somewhere above it won't freeze.
In addition if you turn off "All dwarves harvest" (o-h) in the orders menu, then your growers will skill up a little bit quicker, since picking crops gains a few points of Grower skill.  Just be careful if your growers are kille or injured, as you don't want a lot of perfectly good food rotting in the fields.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 09:02:24 am »

I agree that it sounds like someone walked over with a floodgate and dropped it instead of installing it.  If you built it into a 1-tile-wide hallway, there's no way it should have gotten pushed away.

I generally just try to build the reservoir underneath the level of the river.  Then (d-h) channel a path to it.  Build it a couple stories deep and off you go.  Don't even need a floodgate since it won't overflow above river-level.

To get your bookkeeper working, build him an office with a table and chair, assign it to him, and then step you're probably missing is to go into the (n)obles screen and actually assign him as your bookkeeper and your manager.  Once you have him assigned and he has an office you can use the job manager, and you can select the bookkeeper from the nobles screen and assign (s)ettings to assign the level at which you want him to track things.  I usually set them one level above the level he's currently at (i.e. set to Low first, then Medium once he reaches Low accuracy, etc) so I don't have to keep going in and turning it off if I need him to do something else like go to the Trade Depot.

You can dig straight down with stairways.  Either build up and down stairways near each other (spiral staircase) or just build up/down stairways straight down.  Water and magma flow down stairs just as well as channels and ramps and stuff.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2010, 03:40:45 pm »

To get your bookkeeper working, build him an office with a table and chair, assign it to him, and then step you're probably missing is to go into the (n)obles screen and actually assign him as your bookkeeper and your manager.  Once you have him assigned and he has an office you can use the job manager, and you can select the bookkeeper from the nobles screen and assign (s)ettings to assign the level at which you want him to track things.  I usually set them one level above the level he's currently at (i.e. set to Low first, then Medium once he reaches Low accuracy, etc) so I don't have to keep going in and turning it off if I need him to do something else like go to the Trade Depot.

A simpler method: Wait for the first immigrant wave to arrive, pick out the most useless new arrival (or one who likes making lists and being alone), make hir the bookkeeper, give hir an office, and put the settings on highest accuracy to start with.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

mwanafalsafa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2010, 04:47:40 pm »

Lot's of great info, thanks a lot!

Yea I'm going to look into that lever and see what it's attached to if not the floodgate...

Things are rolling along pretty well now... since a high master fisherman showed up I haven't had much problem with food and I've been able to use all my crops for brewing... the only thing is I keep running out a barrels... is there a way to put barrels aside just for booze so they're not all filled with raw fish?

Also, I tried to dig straight down to make a 2x2 pit a few z-levels deep to dump stuff in via channeling but it's not showing the levels as empty space, but instead as upward/downward slopes, and after going down a couple of levels the miners canceled the job because they couldn't find a way... what am I doing wrong here? I really need to make a dump for stone because it's everywhere!

Thanks again
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 07:43:57 pm by mwanafalsafa »

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2010, 11:49:05 pm »

Just set your carpentry workshop to churn out barrels by setting it to [r]epeat ([q], select building, select task, [r]).

I've got a question myself, I want to have a garbage chute, but I've no idea how to design one. Does anyone have one built or a design for one that they'd be willing to share?

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2010, 12:00:02 am »

A simpler method: Wait for the first immigrant wave to arrive, pick out the most useless new arrival (or one who likes making lists and being alone), make hir the bookkeeper, give hir an office, and put the settings on highest accuracy to start with.
Uhm, highest accuracy setting? I think i missed that, how do you do that?

As for food issues, i've noticed bringing one hunter with me at embark can feed a ton of dwarves on ma cocks, foxes, etc etc. My dwarves always have lots of food, but they drink a ton of booze.
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2010, 12:37:09 am »

Uhm, highest accuracy setting? I think i missed that, how do you do that?
Go to 'N'obles screen, arrow down to Bookkeeper, and the 's'ettings option will light up. Press 's' for settings, and then arrow down to the highest setting. This will make the bookkeeper spend most of his/her time at a desk doing inventory, and make the stock counts accurate instead of question marks.

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2010, 12:38:15 am »

Nice! can't wait to do this, thanks.
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2010, 01:51:45 am »

Garbage chutes are easy, because only a pit straight to the bottom works. Just channel out a 1-tile space on the same spot for every Z-level, designate tile adjacent to the hole as a garbage dump. The bottom can either be an atom smasher or a lava pit for melt-able stuff. Sadly this only works for manual dumb designations, you can't set it as a refuse pile and get it filled automatically =\ .
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 [2] 3