Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: conQUEST: a new MUD  (Read 12806 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: conQUEST: a new MUD
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2010, 05:00:01 am »

Keep an eye out for abilities that give +% to your attacks for N length of time.  My mace guy was just mediocre until I got him stuff from the berserk tree, and suddenly he was swinging for 20+ percent on the duelists who were beating me up before.

The combat system really is badass, and crafting is pretty nice, what with the "you just magically craft in the background while you are running around killing things / offline / whatever".

This is my favorite MUD I have ever played.  And yes, it does have gender, but it doesn't have races--it doesn't refer to you as human or anything though...so I figure you can just say you're whatever race you like, which is AWESOME.  No desc yet makes me sad--but free emoting makes me happy.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2010, 05:38:43 am »

This sounds really promising. I'll give it a shot sometime. Thanks for the heads up Userpay.

Edit: Is that Genmac the same Genmac from HellMOO?

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2010, 11:29:42 am »

Well I'm confused... I'm trying to clear the magic trials, but I can't beat the nature one. I let the poison spores poison it, but before it's poisoned enough to kill, all the monsters suddenly drop over dead, stop spawning, and the tree vanishes. ???
Nature is one of the bitcher ones, what you do is kill the shrooms until they manage to explode then stop attacking. Now either you can wait for 1-2 more explotions depending on what your health looks like or go ahead and feverous bolt the tree. the spores are suppose to build up enough so that when they die theres enough poison counters on the tree to ko it in one shot.

jashman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2010, 11:38:47 am »

It's also confirmed to be bugged.  The tree targets itself if the mushrooms explode, so he kills himself, everything despawns, and you get no credit.  You can still beat it, but you only get one chance.  I used triggers to target and slash every mushroom that came up, although this still took awhile because you have to get very lucky and not get many mushrooms in a row, otherwise you won't have the energy.  Once I got like 30 poisons on the tree, one bolt did him in.

Otherwise, it will be fixed next update.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2010, 12:17:38 pm »

Had some fun, but I think I'll come back when there's more features in. Really nice concept though, just needs a bit more polishing and it'll become integral part of my free time.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2010, 12:19:24 pm »

Actually, I found the trial of nature a bit easy, because apparently the mushrooms get killed near instantly by the poison spores, so if you just get a continuous line of poison spores dying by their own poison, almost all mushrooms are killed in the process. Then you mop up a few spores and mushrooms here and there, until just killing the tree.
Also often called Boowells.
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2010, 02:48:37 pm »

I'm going to try 8D

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2010, 06:11:31 pm »

So what builds are you guys using and what have you found about their effectiveness?

I've got one character who's mace/counter/berserker build, wearing mace/large shield/chain.  I started him out with plate, but the weight was really killing his parry ability.  On the other hand, I might try moving him over to maul/plate...it would lose the countering, but take better advantage of the mace skills.  (If your parry is very high, those countering skills have some very compelling cooldowns, though.)

I've got another character who is currently small blade build, looking at combat readiness and two handed, wearing short sword/7 x dagger/leather.  Those daggers give you 'surprise attack', which does anywhere from 3x to 8x dagger damage based on your agility, but has like a 30 second cooldown (and daggers are only, what, 6 damage anyway).  You need your enemy stunned or disoriented to surprise attack, but with gouge, short sword's 'shank' and one other I forget, I can surprise attack basically every time my disorientation skills refresh.  Oh yeah--and you can throw your daggers for 4x damage, or even throw two daggers at once.  Basically you can only throw as many as you have sheathed (and you can sheathe six daggers at once, how badass is that!) but whenever you throw one it goes to your backpack...and then you can't re-draw it so you can't re-throw it until combat ends.  Still, the throw mechanic is pretty nice.  Pretty nice combos with light blade too.

I'm thinking that once the point cap gets raised, I might try dual wielding with some more exotic combinations.  Find more ways to stun (mace can stun people who have 40 energy or less as a revenge attack with an 8s cooldown, which is sweet).  Mace and dagger maybe...Ooh, or mace and main gauche.  I dunno.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 06:52:15 pm by Sowelu »

Kilowatt

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2010, 06:29:26 pm »

Currently fooling around with magic. Air magic has the ability to get off 30+ shots on people given the time. The only other one I've used is water, and that seems interesting as well- it mostly focuses on buffing and debuffing.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2010, 06:34:20 pm »

After failing to make a good build several times I've settled on a halberdier/berserker in full plate. Extremely slow, but with abilities to boost damage to 400% for 10 seconds and a finishing move that does double that(only against enemies at less that 20% health though, so it's rarely worth it).
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2010, 07:38:58 pm »

I think berserker and the other "massive damage over a short period" skills work best with a build that can penetrate dodges or parries.  Axe looks like it's good against parries: Sunder somebody, wait for energy to build up, then berserk yourself up and start smashing with that 12 base damage.  I forget, does battle axe have any good 2x damage skills?  Anyway, I think berserkers might find it worthwhile to learn both axe and some dodge-blocking weapon type as well, and swap to accomodate the enemy they're fighting.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2010, 09:25:34 pm »

Well, I went basically halberd parry-based fending, which went well for a while, especially against slow, but large monsters such as Wyverns and Shadow Drakes. Those guys went down pretty easily (although I was always at low hp afterward and it did take a while).

I just started a build with a greatsword doing almost the same thing, but a little more offensive. I'm not quite good with it yet, though.

I've also started aliasing whole sets of attacks to use for the various elements. So far, I have water, fire, and air done. I figure I'd best get started creating aliases for retraining my stat points into various builds.
Also often called Boowells.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2010, 10:41:16 pm »

So how does combat with magic work?
Shoes...

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2010, 11:27:40 pm »

I correct myself.  You CAN set your description:

config desc
You see an elf in light-colored leather armor.
/q

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2010, 11:35:16 pm »

Alright, cool.  Once Budgetsoft is finished (I am no longer accepting failure as a possible outcome) this'll probably suck up a few weeks or months of my life.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10