Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: conQUEST: a new MUD  (Read 12776 times)

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
conQUEST: a new MUD
« on: July 16, 2010, 11:39:27 pm »

So I've had the pleasure of finding out about a brand spanking new MUD that just came out a few days ago called conQUEST. It has a fairly complex and detailed crafting system, combat is reactive/anticipation based, and better yet you could have a hand in its development. Its still in its early stages but you can suggest ideas and whatnot and help debug the game. The guy who made it is really involved (apparently its been 5 years in the making) and friendly. Come and join in!

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: conQUEST: a new MUD
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 11:55:29 pm »

Oh... Randomly generated dungeons. That's always a nice feature.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 01:44:43 am »

This sounds good. I think I peed myself a little  :'(

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 06:30:29 am »

Does it use a bodypart damage system or simple HPs?

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 10:26:08 am »

Right now its simple hps, for all I know the maker could change this later on I don't know.
Looks neat. How do I get in?
New to MUDs/MUSHs? Get a client like MUSHclient, open new world, in the tcp/ip adress box put conquest.sdmud.com and in the port put 5000.

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 11:13:47 am »

Is there any sort of tutorial or guide I can use to figure out how to play this? I've blundering around as a guest at the moment, and I'm liking the combat system... But having to blindly guess my way around (help is largely incomplete, and so many topics on the list make it hard to find anything relevant) is somewhat frustrating. I've played HellMOO before, so I'm not entirely new to this sort of game, but most of the commands from there don't work here.
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 12:07:09 pm »

Is there any sort of tutorial or guide I can use to figure out how to play this? I've blundering around as a guest at the moment, and I'm liking the combat system... But having to blindly guess my way around (help is largely incomplete, and so many topics on the list make it hard to find anything relevant) is somewhat frustrating. I've played HellMOO before, so I'm not entirely new to this sort of game, but most of the commands from there don't work here.

Let me say again that this game just started, though I'll certainly suggest making a better tutorial. If you've any questions use chat <text> to talk to the players and the admin if he's on.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 01:44:33 pm »

Alright worked with the admin and the tutorial should be a bit clearer, not sure if its in effect now or if it'll have to wait till tonight when he reboots the server.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 02:03:11 pm »

Right now its simple hps, for all I know the maker could change this later on I don't know.
Looks neat. How do I get in?
New to MUDs/MUSHs? Get a client like MUSHclient, open new world, in the tcp/ip adress box put conquest.sdmud.com and in the port put 5000.

I had the port wrong. Same link but on port 23 takes me to some Shattered Dreams thing. o_O

I'll see what I can do later now that I know that, I'm gonna be fishing in short order here.

EDIT: What's the length and width of the window supposed to be for this thing?

Window width is usually 80, dunno about length

OtspIII

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 09:53:45 pm »

I've been playing this and I really really really like it.

Quick summary of the cool things about it:

* Incredibly player-driven: All the non-basic items in the game are player made, and the economy is pretty much entirely run by the players.  The guy running it is waiting to implement guilds and things until a few more regulars are playing, but it looks like it could be really really cool the way it all works.

* Related to the above, the map is going to be made by the players, too, it looks like.  There's currently only one city, the one you start at, but once guilds are in players will be able to start building their own cities to try to lay claim to valuable resource deposits to control the crafting supplies markets.  That sounds amazing: All the cities in the game, save one, will be player-controlled.

* No combat grind.  The first town is basically a tutorial, and once you're done with it you'll be at pretty much full power, not counting equipment and a few other minor things.  There's no month of desperate grinding to become an effective character.

* Fast, unique combat.  You have a list of moves you can do with any given weapon, each of which is triggered by a hotkey.  Simple, but with things like defenses, ripostes, status effects, and other stuff, mixed with the speed the combat takes place at, leads to fights that move quick and stay tense but fun.  Lots of very different fighting styles to choose from.  I really really like the combat system.

* Crafting seems like the focus of the game, and takes place as you just play normally.  You can queue up to 10 crafting projects that get built in real time even if you're not online.  There's a lot of non-crafting stuff to do, but if you just want a game you can sign into once a day, tell the game to build you some magic wands, and log out again you can do that, too.

There's a lot of promise to this game.  It's only been open maybe 4 days or something, but the player base is flowing in pretty quickly.  The help files aren't all that meaty yet, but since everyone's getting started and learning things, too, global chat will fill you in on anything you don't know without any hassle.

I'm on as 'Mir' if anyone needs any carpentry-parts.

Zajadu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Pulse Life Entertainment
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 10:11:51 pm »

I've always liked MUDs, and this sure looks great. I'll try it tomorrow.

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 10:13:38 pm »

Wow this looks really promising. I often long to pick up MUDing again but stop at the thought of inane XP and EQ grinding. Would be nice to have an immersive experience with freedom to be creative.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 10:18:03 pm »

What's the roleplay like?  I don't like non-RP MUDs.
Shoes...

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 11:49:29 pm »

I shall give this a try, under the name "Quornes"

Edit: I'm liking it very much. Its not as cluttered as other MUDs I've played, and controls have been quite simple
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 12:32:21 am by quintin522 »
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 12:37:30 am »

Wow, I'm surprised by the combat. Normally I dislike combat in muds and avoid it if possible, but it's actually quite interesting and the AI seems to know what it's doing, so it's challenging.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10