Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: conQUEST: a new MUD  (Read 12783 times)

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: conQUEST: a new MUD
« Reply #90 on: July 24, 2010, 02:10:11 pm »

They have a horrible hit ratio, in my opinion. I utilize a build which can both parry and dodge, so it works out well because by the time I use one defense, the other is pretty much already done with its timer.

So, yeah. Wyverns can't hit for shit if you have a parry/dodge currently on. Especially if your parry/dodge bonus is over like 23 or so.

My build is
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 02:25:33 pm by Knirisk »
Also often called Boowells.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 24, 2010, 02:31:36 pm »

I'm using a halberd/full plate build. I have a dodge of 0... I can boost my parry to 26 though, 50 in an emergency. My main problem with wyverns is that I do ridiculous amounts of damage at the start of the fight, but my DPS slowly fades as the battle goes on, so I can't keep up the damage long enough to kill something with that much health.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 24, 2010, 02:59:20 pm »

I used to use a halberd build. It was pretty much just the quickstart stalwart build.

The only thing I can tell you is that it is possible to kill wyverns with that build. You just need to use a lot of gouge/counter/fend. Basically you don't want to swing almost ever. Almost every time the wyvern reaches 100 energy, you'll want to use parry or a combination of guard+spinning defense. Only use swing if you have 100 energy and the wyvern does not. If you find yourself without parry or something similar, then feel free to use gouge or sweeping strike (especially if you've used attack of opportunity and have tactical retreat). Unless that's what you've been doing? I dunno. You might want to check your various bonuses such as combat planning.

I dunno. I use a greatsword now. Similar style except a bit more offensive, but I like it much better than the halberd.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 24, 2010, 03:04:55 pm »

My tactics against strong monsters involve dodge/berserk/bloodcraze at the same time and then Swing-Backswing-Overhand-Devastate.  With assailing, cruel, and sinister swings, that's upwards of 50 damage per hit.  If they survive that I slow down quite a bit though, and that's when things get risky.  I still have stuff like savage strike and executioner swing, which will usually finish the monster off if the first combo didn't.
Shoes...

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 24, 2010, 03:32:54 pm »

Yup. I think I accidentally tried SSH once, but I've been doing telnet all the rest of the times. And the official client doesn't even connect, which is mainly why I'm concerned.

Spoiler: PuTTY setup (click to show/hide)

Edit: ugh that's annoying. Looks like it has to do with my internet connection somehow. Another computer can't get on, but my phone can when I'm not using wireless. Oh well, maybe I'll figure it out at some point.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 07:57:24 pm by Bluerobin427 »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 24, 2010, 07:59:59 pm »

I'm probably going to drop misdirect, aimed strike, and 2 points of Will and get Agility up to 8, get gouge, disorient blow, ambidexterity, followup, and tumble.
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2010, 08:11:51 pm »

Well, if it seems to work for you.

But one question: does a super-heavy armor build actually work?
I've tried going longsword+shield or mace+shield in combination with a 5% quality set of lionheart platemail. It gave me around 60 mitigation, but it still was amazingly negligible, even in combination with damage reducing guard/block plus the deflect command given to me by the lionheart vambraces. The only time I got it to work semi-well was when I took on avoidance and liquid movement to reduce the encumbrance to medium.

The only time I ever successfully blocked an attack for pretty much zero damage was only on the first adventurer you fight just west of the Duelist's guildmaster. Other than that, orcs, goblins, and various other enemies most of the time did less damage certainly, but it was completely negated by the detriments of higher-costing actions and no damage-negating commands such as parry or dodge.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 26, 2010, 12:03:37 am »

edit: ignore it! It was a bug.

edit: ignore that too.

I'm definitely enjoying this no stress combat.

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 03, 2010, 05:26:03 pm »

umiman gave me cloak + bear rage mask~

a cyan chitin ironthread cloak
When worn, this item covers bodyparts: about body.  This item affects your will
by 0.24, parry by 2.22.  It is a crafted item and has a quality bonus of +11%.
It is made from chitin.  It was made by Umiman and Nicholas.  This item has an
encumbrance of 0.10.  With this item you can perform: deflect.

a cyan dire mask
When worn, this item covers bodyparts: face.  It can be invoked to release
magic.  This item affects your poison absorb by 1.6.  It is a crafted item and
has a quality bonus of +11%.  It is made from thick leather.  It was made by
Umiman, Nicholas and Sammage.  This armour is leather, and offers a 0.10 base
deflection.  This item has an encumbrance of 0.10.

Robbable guild houses coming the 21st of august~

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 03, 2010, 06:22:16 pm »

I'm using something called the nature maul build. One of two. My counterpart, Mir uses something similar yet quite different. The benefit of this one is that I can basically liquify (literally, that's what it says in the game) anything that isn't wearing heavy armour. Doing over 100 damage in one combo is not rare for me.

The build has some basic nature spells hence the name. It's mostly there for the fantastic healing, but lull reduces dodge and parry by 12 for 20 seconds while venom cloud and feverous bolts can easily do 20 damage with each hit after about 4 hits.

Anything that wears heavy armour with a fast weapon however or with very good dodge and parry I have a lot of troubles with. But I have builds to fight those, hehe. These are my stats and build:
Code: [Select]
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|      Health: 100/100          Energy: 100/100          Balance: 100/100     |
| Strength               10.00 (11.24) | Parry                          12.15 |
| Agility                 4.00 ( 4.00) | Dodge                          18.10 |
| Intelligence            4.00 ( 4.19) | Resist                          0.00 |
| Will                    0.00 ( 0.00) | Mitigation                     14.26 |
| Encumberance           (light)  9.90 | Defense                        Value |
| Carrying Capacity     30.50 / 250.00 | fire                            4.19 |
|                                      | poison                          7.34 |
| Advancement Points            Max 30 | water                           4.19 |
|   Unspent Points                   0 | electric                        4.19 |
|   Spent Points                    30 | arcane                          4.19 |
|                                      | nether                          4.19 |
| Use practice to advance skills       |                                      |
| Use train to advance stats           |                                      |
| Your current traits are: sinister swings, impulsive, vengeful.              |
| You have earned 744 prestige.                                               |
| You can see more information with: traits, craft, cstat.                    |

You are wearing:
  +a plaguewood maul labelled, "PUNISHER EXTREME" left grip, right grip
   a chitin belt labelled, "EnRegen"        waist
   a gold ring of recklessness              right finger
   a gold ring of recklessness              left finger
   a gold bracelet of sinister swings       right wrist
   a gold bracelet of sinister swings       left wrist
   a chitin ironthread cloak labelled, "Shieldmaiden" about body
   a studded thick leather jerkin           torso
   a red dire mask labelled, "Deathblow"    face
   a red leather hat adorned with a boar's tusk head
  +an oak nature wand labelled, "Stick of Pokings" sheathed on right calf

Edit: Along with guilds you can now build houses and stuff anywhere. So housing, player towns, real pvp, and a whole bunch of stuff are being put into the game on the 21st of this month. You can hire guards, tame monsters to be your guards, do all sorts of cool stuff.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 03, 2010, 08:42:23 pm »

tame monsters to be your guards
Fun stuff. I started playing at work a bit, but my internet at home wouldn't let me connect for some reason. I'll have to try it again now that I'm with a different ISP.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 03, 2010, 09:52:17 pm »

Berserkers are boss, by the way. Get a duelist agility/intelligence build if you want long, technical matches of mind games, get a ravager strength/agility/berserker build if you want to beat the fuck out of things in one combo.

So, who's going to head up the Bay12 guild?
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 04, 2010, 11:49:56 am »

We should make trade or group guilds instead of forum guilds imo~ 

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 04, 2010, 12:04:08 pm »

Bah. A trade guild would be worthless, simply because it takes several trades to make anything good. And if we can get someone of every trade a forum guild will work as well as any other.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 04, 2010, 05:09:36 pm »

Alister just recently added the Phoenix Cloak to the game, meaning (since I suggested it), we (as the Bay12 team, I gave the recipe to Umiman since he's doing the final crafting, being our main leathercrafter) now possess the only recipe for it's creation (until people find more, anyway), and, more importantly, the only two phoenix feathers in the world until Alister adds the Phoenix boss at some point this weekend.

The item, when invoked, lets you avoid death and restores you to 20% health if an attack would kill you in the next 5 seconds. Obviously, once the recipe gets around and the source for the components becomes available, these are going to be pretty damn expensive (not to mention really handy when PvP and the death penalty go in), but if we team up to find the materials and craft the components (and later, raid the dungeon), we can craft them for free for guild members.

If anyone has gemcutting or alchemy around level 12-14, and wants to collaborate and help build up our strength,  please PM me or Umiman in-game so we can get the materials to you: as well as the feathers, we need fiery essence and ether runes. If anyone's a combat beast, fiery residue as obtained from fire elementals; we need 5 per essence.

I'll probably post similar notices in the future, and would encourage people with ideas for improving the game to use the idea board in the Office of Developmental Affairs inside the Moonhaven Forum: Inventors using the idea board get the first copy of recipes they suggest if they get implimented, mean that we (as a guild) have first crack at some new and exotic equipment.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10