Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best Layers of Rock to Start In?  (Read 732 times)

Destructomonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best Layers of Rock to Start In?
« on: July 16, 2010, 11:18:26 pm »

In the DF wiki it tells me that on average embark points with sedimentary rock is most valuable/helpful.
Is it better than igneous extrusive rock?

Of the little experience i've had, i've built upon places with obsidian, and usually along with the fancy obsidian stone used as building material, i also get a buttload of gold...

I haven't gotten to the point where i learned to make steel, so i haven't had to work with flux, which is in sedimentary rock... but i do remember starting in an area with obsidian with a freak layer of marble in there somehow...

What direction should i be going here?

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best Layers of Rock to Start In?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 12:00:30 am »

Marble is metamorphic, not sedimentary, and is not particularly freakish to find near obsidian.

I don't have a strong preference for sedimentary versus igneous extrusive layers. I like a good variety of igneous intrusive and metamorphic layers; granite for native silver/cassiterite/bismuth/emeralds, gabbro for garnierite/platinum/diamonds, diorite for gold, any metamorphic for sphalerite (preferably not marble for this purpose, because it tends to be full of malachite instead).
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 12:26:07 am »

I like sedimentary deposits for all the steel I can make, but honestly it's not THAT big a deal. The best thing is probably to just ignore it, so that it becomes a challenge/surprise later.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

scira

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 11:06:13 am »

If i don't go with a sediment layer, then i tend to pick an obsidian layer for its high value and short swords, and back in 40d you would most likely not find magma near sediment so that was another perk of not picking it.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 11:45:24 am »

I try to always embark with chalk or limestone, I like steel too much I think.  Once I get the steel industry rolling and a good stockpile of armor and weapons for military use I like to start replacing all my furniture with steel. 

If you are lucky a 3x3 embark can give you 5 or more clusters of magnetite with veins of hematite and limonite snaking through the whole layer, along with more than a few veins of coal and lignite.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.