Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 37

Author Topic: New Alien Swarm on Steam Monday 7/19  (Read 39164 times)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Alien Swarm on Steam Monday 7/19
« Reply #495 on: July 30, 2010, 09:55:57 am »

I think people bad at insane still should be allowed to play insane.

But, ffs, they should at least bring some

.) good will
.) ability to learn
.) non-asshattery

Losing is fun, if everybody at least TRIES!

Seriously. One thing that somehow gets me down, is.... I still havent met a lot of people that pay attention to where they stand. Running around like a jerk, trying to dodge the swarm usually is a LOT less effective than positioning yourself smart, so everybody has a clear line of fire.

Enable your squaddies to open up on the baddies, and all will end well.

FF might not be that strong, but aliens which cannot be shot because you block the bullets with your body (or hinder your team from firing in the first place), those usually deal some damage.

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine
« Reply #496 on: August 01, 2010, 09:21:53 am »

I'm having a mighty good time with this game, making some maps for it. Friend me if you want to join in, I'm always looking for some people to help as testers and for opinions.

Map #2: Winter Dread

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: August 01, 2010, 04:40:49 pm »

flares look like a lifesaver for that
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: August 01, 2010, 05:47:37 pm »

I would pack incendiary mines and a good shotgun or another high damage gun, drop the mines and RUN THE FUCK FOR A WELDABLE DOOR!

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: August 01, 2010, 09:48:54 pm »

FF might not be that strong, but aliens which cannot be shot because you block the bullets with your body (or hinder your team from firing in the first place), those usually deal some damage.

Friendly fire is deadly. I played a game with three dudes from here, and one of them was able to drill bullets into my back from three screens away without fail. There was no way he could have even been aiming at me OR the aliens. He was just hanging out across the map spraying his assault rifle everywhere for no reason.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: August 01, 2010, 10:10:18 pm »

Friendly fire does a larger percentage of its actual damage over time, doesn't it?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: August 02, 2010, 08:25:16 am »

Looks like you're right:
Friendly fire is managed by an absorption system. Depending on the difficulty level, a marine  will absorb a portion of the incoming friendly fire damage. As the marine is hit by more friendly fire, the amount of damage that is absorbed will decrease so the overall damage taken will increase. This absorption amount will recover over time provided the marine doesn't become a victim of additional friendly fire. The end result is that occasional friendly fire incidents won't destroy your squad, but sustained friendly fire will eventually result in death.
This doesn't sound like the worst idea, actually. Encouraces people to play "clean" but doesn't punish that hard for a small mistake. Sounds like a good mechanic that actually has fun and gameplay in mind...

edit:
I like that article, as a whole, actually. A lof of those suggestions aren't half bad. DEW IT, folks, read it and heed the advice! http://alienswarm.wikia.com/wiki/Friendly_Fire

FF, more often than not, is the fault of the guys being hit. (And before anybody gets cocky, I'm usually the guy that deals the least FF :P)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 08:33:06 am by Puck »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #502 on: August 02, 2010, 11:01:14 am »

I do enjoy when I am blasting away down a hallway with the minigun and some guy runs in front of me. I mean how hard is it to see (and hear) the stream of bullets from the minigun?

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: August 02, 2010, 11:40:34 am »

I am pretty sure people actually see (and hear) that tracer-laden stream of bullets just fine.

What never ceases to amaze me is how they fail to grasp what this perception implies. I'm talking about the simplest things, for instance how you should try never to occupy the same space as a travelling bullet, as this is usually bad for your health.

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine
« Reply #504 on: August 02, 2010, 01:08:24 pm »

What happens to me far too often is I'll be flaming some drones on the front line when stupid special weapons guy starts warming up his chaingun from behind and destroys half my health.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: August 02, 2010, 03:39:18 pm »

When a Jaeger is dumping his Vindicator ammo onto an incoming horde, "being between those two things" should be at the bottom of your list of things to do.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: August 02, 2010, 03:44:58 pm »

I am pretty sure people actually see (and hear) that tracer-laden stream of bullets just fine.

What never ceases to amaze me is how they fail to grasp what this perception implies. I'm talking about the simplest things, for instance how you should try never to occupy the same space as a travelling bullet, as this is usually bad for your health.
Murphy's Laws of Combat:
  • Incoming fire has right of way
  • The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.
  • Friendly fire, isn't.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #507 on: August 02, 2010, 04:32:01 pm »

What happens to me far too often is I'll be flaming some drones on the front line when stupid special weapons guy starts warming up his chaingun from behind and destroys half my health.
So who is the stupid one here again?

Come not between a chaingun and its prey!

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: August 02, 2010, 04:57:29 pm »

Do not argue with the flamer, for you shalt get burned.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: August 02, 2010, 05:36:02 pm »

If you're on a difficulty where friendly fire is a serious concern (Insanity), you should just advance in the T formation.

xyz
 w

x is tech, z is medic (or the opposite), assuming medic has a gun of some type. Y is a Hoovy with Minigun or Autogun. W is Jaeger, covering the back with Vindicator (firemines too, if the backhorde gets too tough, which is rare). That'll get you through whatever corridors you need to until you get forced to defend a point/area.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 37