Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 37

Author Topic: New Alien Swarm on Steam Monday 7/19  (Read 39190 times)

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
Re: New Alien Swarm on Steam Monday 7/19
« Reply #420 on: July 25, 2010, 03:39:02 pm »

Steam name is simmura. Add me if you want a game, but I'm watching Die Hard so don't expect me to notice it straight away.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 26, 2010, 02:00:36 am »

Got the 'perfect' achievement,

Didn't actually credit me for it...

What the fuck?

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 26, 2010, 02:21:57 am »

Got the 'perfect' achievement,

Didn't actually credit me for it...

What the fuck?

Had that problem repeatedly too.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 26, 2010, 02:34:29 am »

Had a little taster of this earlier this evening.  Not on my machine, of course, oh no.  No, I had to have my dad install it on his machine, which is even older than mine and isn't rigged up to be a gaming machine.  That machine it can run on.

Anyways, does the game actually include any sort of manual or whatnot, or are you just supposed to figure it out in the course of things?  Because I had to quit an offline practice session due to not knowing what the bloody hell the tech is supposed to do, and I was taking such an excessively long time trying to figure it out that my incredibly stupid AI buddies were dying like flies.

Okay, so we've got ourselves four number tickers with a single positive bit each, and I've got a set of up/down arrows underneath each one...  Yes!  This makes perfect sense!

I pity whichever online teams ended up with a neophyte techie on a real run...  That's gotta hurt.  At least I managed to figure out the pipe thingy for unlocking doors.

Anyways, In didn't get to play it much, but I was impressed.  It's a simple game, but it's got a lot of polish.  I'm really quite happy to see mainstream-ish games taking more of a turn towards that trend, because simple games with lots of polish work great in the mainstream.  I also noticed the heavy influence of the Alien series, which is nice to see.

That, and I love punching bugs.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 26, 2010, 02:48:34 am »

The dude tells you everything you should do with an overlay over the right spots showing the right key to press... Either it wasn't showing that or you didn't read/listen to any of it.

But in any case this is the basics:

1 - Uses your tool.
2 to 4 - Asks the squad member in that slot to use their tool at where you're pointing your mouse (ie, pressing the number the medic is, asks for heal. Pressing the number of someone carrying ammo, asks for ammo and so on)
E - Uses environment stuff, like panels, computers, PDAs, etc.
Left mouse - Fires
Right mouse - Melee
F - Alternative fire that some weapons have (like grenades on the assault rifle)
WASD - Moves
Space - Do a barrel roll AKA dodge
Shift + 2 to 4 - Asks for that character's secondary function, if any. holding shift shows what else they can do.
Q - Switch weapons back and forth
Z - Radial emotes for MP fun.

And I think that's it. Some keys might be wrong, since I typed it from memory.

Cerej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 26, 2010, 03:02:26 am »

Soulwynd, no.  The hacking mini-game Kagus is commenting on has no in-game help attached to it.

Kagus, you needed to get all of the 1 bits going in the same direction on the same row.  You use the arrows to change the direction the tickers go.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 26, 2010, 03:03:57 am »

What Cerej said.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 26, 2010, 03:07:11 am »

Oh those. Insomnia makes me miss things. Oh well.

I thought they were obvious after the first try or two. I mean, they're sort of common arcadeish games, at least the pipe one is.

Cerej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 26, 2010, 03:09:20 am »

About the Perfect Achievement, did you have a full squad of 4 marines?  They don't all have to go undamaged, but I think you do need a full squad of marines.  I think it's that way to make friendly fire more of an obstacle.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: July 26, 2010, 03:21:46 am »

Full squad of marines. At the debriefing screen it showed "perfect" under the list of achievements I got, but I go to my steam page and it says I don't have it...? It also never said "Ozymandias has unlocked Perfect"

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: July 26, 2010, 04:34:08 am »

I thought they were obvious after the first try or two. I mean, they're sort of common arcadeish games, at least the pipe one is.

Yeah, I figured out the pipe one quickly enough (just missed the chance to get past without logging the attempt), but the other one was trickier.  Sure, I probably could've figured it out on my own, but that process was somewhat hampered by the hundreds of evil psychic zombie alien bug-men from Mars charging at us.  A huge firefight (that you're losing) is generally not helpful in regards to thinking clearly and quickly.

I did pick up on the other overlays though.  I just thought it a little odd that they'd toss you into something like the hacking sessions without so much as a "this is your foot".  Then again, it was just my first time, and I didn't even play it that long.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 26, 2010, 04:44:00 am »

I started out in the offline practice thing, myself, so...  yeah, that helped.  Especially since you can just switch between characters there.

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 26, 2010, 04:46:31 am »

Parasites

also , OzyTheSage , there is "Perfect" in the achieve list but not in the steam achieve list was due to a Steam-Fuck up for two days when you get a achievement which someone else earned , but it only showed up on your achieve list

Name Division By Zero here if anyone is up for a game , Level 27 and first promotion if you are THAT curious , oh , and i downloaded the game on 20 july , god damn Delays made by VALVe

(also olo UT2K4 Alien Swarm Player here)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 04:48:57 am by Ze Spy »

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 26, 2010, 07:04:05 am »

Yeah, I figured out the pipe one quickly enough (just missed the chance to get past without logging the attempt), but the other one was trickier.  Sure, I probably could've figured it out on my own, but that process was somewhat hampered by the hundreds of evil psychic zombie alien bug-men from Mars charging at us.  A huge firefight (that you're losing) is generally not helpful in regards to thinking clearly and quickly.
In offline mode, if you dont want to hack, just go to the "tech only" spots with somebody other than the hacker and press the use key. The tech will just walk there and dew it. Oh and, sentry gun always helps for those hack spots. Unless you adrenaline hack it. But even then I like to bring one.

oh and, I already posted it, if you want to, you can:
asw_show_all_singleplayer_maps 1 <- allows you to play all maps in every difficulty in offline practice. still, no xp, but I bet that can be changed, too.

And btw, not that anybody cares, but I thought that hacking minigame with the ones and zeroes was pretty self explanatory after you clicked one friggin button and saw the direction change. I wish it was more than that, however, because, really, that is kinda way too simple. I mean, is that guy supposed to be the hacker or a kindergartener? They might as well have given us that toy with those funny shaped blocks you have to put in the according holes.

I almost DIDN'T figure it out, because I thought there would be some ubar complicated decryption game hidden in those ones and zeroes :D

edit: oh and I forgot, NVG are awesome because they make EVERY enemy glow in bright green. It's like nightvision + IR combined. I think the duration is a bit short, however. I can't imagine how it's possible to create those power armor suits the marines are wearing but in the same time being unable to create a battery for the NVGs that lasts for a whole mission.

Unless, however, we have some weird backstory, in which almost every piece of technological knowledge is lost, and the humans alive at that point just use remaining tech and have somehow managed to figure out how to USE that stuff but not how to build it... it's kinda thin, that story, isnt it?

fake edit: I VOTE FOR FLASHLIGHT NOT USING A FUCKING EQUIPMENT SLOT AFTER 3rd PROMOTION!!!!!OneelevencapsiscruisecontrolforDOITNAO
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 07:37:22 am by Puck »

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 26, 2010, 08:07:29 am »

Anybody want to play right now?
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 37