Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 37

Author Topic: New Alien Swarm on Steam Monday 7/19  (Read 39262 times)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Alien Swarm on Steam Monday 7/19
« Reply #225 on: July 22, 2010, 09:02:02 am »

el oh el it's so funny, some people really seem to think the slo mo in the elevator is their PC coming to a screeching halt :D (Supposedly, sometimes it IS, but most of the time it really isnt)

I can see why that could happen, because they slo mo it, BEFORE you actually get attacked, so it's a bit boring. The pip view should actually be a clue to what's going on, but still...

For me that was pretty self explanatory... the sound slowed down, time itself slowed down, because we're going into SUPER-AWESOME-COMBAT-DRUGGED-UP-SPACEMARINE-MATRIX-MODE-BOOYAKASHA.

(and I really liked it, too)

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 22, 2010, 09:08:25 am »

ok, so it is slo mo. Thank god.

Now is that the only level i can play in offline practise or what. Secondly, can i get exp in offline practise?
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 22, 2010, 09:11:11 am »

I can tell you didnt read the thread  :D

asw_fast_reload_under_marine 1 <- shows the reload bar under your guy
asw_show_all_singleplayer_maps 1 <- allows you to play all maps in every difficulty in offline practice. still, no xp, but I bet that can be changed, too.

btw: not the WHOLE elevator is slo mo. just the first minute or so.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 22, 2010, 09:24:48 am »

As far as I can tell there's no way to get experience offline and I really doubt there will be, especially since one of the things included in one of the patches was exp and levels being stored in the Steam Cloud. But yeah, that command's still useful for playing through the campaign without having to go online.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 22, 2010, 09:30:57 am »

Just played my first game of it. Sooo much fun. Much like TF2, I like the heavy weapons guy (or girl, as the case may be)!
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 22, 2010, 09:35:52 am »

I finally got the custom music to kick in on the elevator. Killing aliens to an X-Com remix is just win
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 22, 2010, 09:36:38 am »

As far as I can tell there's no way to get experience offline and I really doubt there will be, especially since one of the things included in one of the patches was exp and levels being stored in the Steam Cloud. But yeah, that command's still useful for playing through the campaign without having to go online.
There are a lot of XP related console commands, I didnt check them all out. Furthermore XP and stuff is stored LOCALLY, they added steam cloud SUPPORT, because it was missing, thats all. The game was made by modders for modders. You can do almost anything with it. The question is whether its just a few keypresses or if it's going to need some serious work. So, ten dwarfbucks say, yes, there IS a way to get XP offline.

Alien Swarm is teh awesome and I cant wait to see the first proper roguelike conversions and skill point distributions and whatnot. It's gonna be legen- wait for it....

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 22, 2010, 09:48:46 am »

I can tell you didnt read the thread  :D

asw_fast_reload_under_marine 1 <- shows the reload bar under your guy
asw_show_all_singleplayer_maps 1 <- allows you to play all maps in every difficulty in offline practice. still, no xp, but I bet that can be changed, too.

btw: not the WHOLE elevator is slo mo. just the first minute or so.

Oh I read it all. Just last night. Last night I was in the process of being awake for about 24 hours, so i wasn't really reading closely.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 22, 2010, 09:54:09 am »

-dary.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 22, 2010, 10:01:31 am »

Finally got some Hard Mode games. I gotta say, nothing is more intense than being the last marine left alive (as an Engie, no less), dropping a sentry in the finale zone and making a desperate fight, just you and the aliens, to survive long enough to give your team the win.

I just did it twice - Residential zone, a.k.a. Parasite City, where I at least had a sentry, and the Finale level, where I went to town with the Prototype Rifle, a Flamethrower, and Hornets.

Just for reference, none of those can save you from a Shield Bug, so the best move is to just run - especially when you have little enough health that a single drone strike will end you.

So I got to the landing pad spot and hid behind the large box to avoid the distance attackers, pulling out the Tesla Grenades I'd saved on my P. Rifle for the entire level. As a horde of drones descended on me, I made a desperate roll back towards where the pad extends to the dropship just as it arrived, making my escape as about eight drones were in range of me.

Fucking.

Epic.

This game needs to play the Combat Music playlist more, though. It doesn't even play it during the freaking Finale after you set the nuke. What the hell? When better in this whole campaign than right there?
... Don't suppose anyone has found a way to achieve that by the way?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 22, 2010, 10:16:49 am »

Last night, we had possibly the craziest games ever. Trying to do the speed runs is nigh impossible.

First level: You have to do it in 1:25 seconds, we shorted hack/unwelding times by taking a lot of grenades and grenade launchers, the closest we got to completing it was 1:32.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 22, 2010, 10:20:00 am »

Did you try to bring adrenaline and use it for the hacks?

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 22, 2010, 10:21:42 am »

There seems to be a few problems with the ranking system. My game crashed, and when I got back in my rank had been reset back to 1 from 25. After googling this in search of a fix, it seems a few other people have had the same problem. And it has no fix. A bit annoyed all my weapons are gone.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 10:23:44 am by Detrevni|inverteD »

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 22, 2010, 11:08:00 am »

I was playing a game last night, last one alive, knew I was going to die any second so I ran over and grabbed the adrenaline from a fallen comrade and used it, just so it looked cooler when I got torn apart.

Alien swarm is at that funny state where too many of my friends want to play it, so we always have a group and a half. In two weeks we will only ever have half a group.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 22, 2010, 12:07:16 pm »

Add me guys, we'll have a few games :P Dogstile is ma steam name

Edit: That's a capital D guys.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 06:21:57 pm by dogstile »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 37