Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Civs providing metal equipment other than bronze?  (Read 1992 times)

endsville

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Civs providing metal equipment other than bronze?
« on: July 16, 2010, 06:51:09 pm »

Is there any way to find weapons or armor made of anything other than bronze?  I kind of hoped you could loot armor and weapons from monster thieves such as dragons or in caves but apparently not.  It would make me giggle to be able to stumble onto a masterwork adamantine or steel axe, or even craft or steal enough  trinkets to buy one. 

So I guess my question is how do you get better metal weapons in Adventure mode other than going into Fortress mode and spending hours and hours only to abandon your fort in order to raid it for the equipment in adventure mode?  Can you edit the raws to allow higher grade weapons?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 06:58:10 pm by endsville »

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
Re: Civs providing metal equipment other than bronze?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 07:19:41 pm »

humans don't make better stuff than bismuth bronze in vanilla, goblins and dwarves can make steel and iron so you can kill them and steal their stuff. I don't know why you complain though, bronze is the third best metal.

but yeah, you can totally change the entity file in the raws to allow all the civs to make steel and adamantine stuff, but then everyone wielding adamantine swords has adamantine armor than the purpose defeats itself.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 07:22:59 pm by Robocorn »

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 07:27:43 pm »

The burning robotic unicorn's right...If you really want some nicer stuff in adventure mode without playing fortress mode 1st, then you'll have to make little mods and edits to the game RAWs, like making dwarves start out in towns and removing the DEEP tag in adamantine (Layman terms: they'll start selling those fancy glowing blue sharp stabby things.)

...wait...what's the best minerals for blunt weapons again that are available for Adventure mode?
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

endsville

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 07:41:32 pm »

I wasn't really "complaining" about anything, just asking a question.  My purpose mostly I guess is the feeling of advancement and reward you get from better equipment.  Warlords are constantly asking me to kill Bronze Colossus and the like, and I want to feel at least fairly confident I'm going to give them a run for their money before I'm squished.  I know there's not a whole lot of goals in adventure mode yet, so you're pretty much depending on creating your own, but like I said, it's the feeling of advancement and getting stronger, and finding that nice piece of equipment that I'm interested in. 

If you didn't start out in it,  bronze would feel like an accomplishment I guess.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 07:55:55 pm »

humans don't make better stuff than bismuth bronze in vanilla, goblins and dwarves can make steel and iron so you can kill them and steal their stuff. I don't know why you complain though, bronze is the third best metal.

but yeah, you can totally change the entity file in the raws to allow all the civs to make steel and adamantine stuff, but then everyone wielding adamantine swords has adamantine armor than the purpose defeats itself.

third best out of how many metal types to make weapons and armor?
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 08:03:40 pm »

The burning robotic unicorn's right...If you really want some nicer stuff in adventure mode without playing fortress mode 1st, then you'll have to make little mods and edits to the game RAWs, like making dwarves start out in towns and removing the DEEP tag in adamantine (Layman terms: they'll start selling those fancy glowing blue sharp stabby things.)

...wait...what's the best minerals for blunt weapons again that are available for Adventure mode?

I know gold, silver, and platinum are good for blunts.

Maybe lead too.

third best out of how many metal types to make weapons and armor?

The blue fun stuff and steel are better, but iron, copper, silver (save for edgeless weapons), and nonmetals are worse. I don't think there are other metals available for weapons in vanilla, and none of them except the black fun stuff makes decent edges anyway.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 09:48:34 pm »

I'm probably wrong, but aren't obsidian swords as good as steel ones? Or was that just in 40d?

Inspiration

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 03:58:17 pm »

It's actually quite easy. Mod cats to drop loads of insane weapons/armor, then bring a couple along in a dwarf fortress. Afterwards, butcher the cats, and abandon. Choose "play now" and your weapons should be relatively easy to find. Then, head off to a town to retire. Start a new adventurer with whatever skills you want, and go assassinate your old adventurer. He should have all the gear.

If anyone does this, could they share the RAWS with me? I can't figure out item tokens.

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 04:23:33 pm »

You can get better gear through the new reactions. there's already a couple which give you a copper axe and shield but it is very easy to modify these to give steel or another material. You can do that for all weapons and ammo but i don't think it works for armour yet due to the large issue.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 05:20:44 pm »

The itemcorpse thing will allow you to set item quality, something reaction cannot do. The armour size is still a problem though, the only way to obtain those is through entities that have the same size you do (there is some thing that lets you get armor and clothes when you retire somewhere,l but im not sure about that). Easiest would be to set dwarves to build human towns instead of those pointless holes in the ground they make now, that way they can sell you stuff.

Oh and since last version you can have creatures yield specific items when you butcher them, without having to use itemcorpse (which removes the corpse and replaces it with an item). You can for example make a sword bodypart for some creature, and have that drop a sword when butchered. Do note that adventurers are squeemish about any butchering anything that talks.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 07:12:32 pm »

The itemcorpse thing will allow you to set item quality, something reaction cannot do. The armour size is still a problem though, the only way to obtain those is through entities that have the same size you do (there is some thing that lets you get armor and clothes when you retire somewhere,l but im not sure about that). Easiest would be to set dwarves to build human towns instead of those pointless holes in the ground they make now, that way they can sell you stuff.

Oh and since last version you can have creatures yield specific items when you butcher them, without having to use itemcorpse (which removes the corpse and replaces it with an item). You can for example make a sword bodypart for some creature, and have that drop a sword when butchered. Do note that adventurers are squeemish about any butchering anything that talks.

And what is the token that performs this task?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 03:28:07 pm »

Assuming you mean the itemcorpse thing, you can use
   [ITEMCORPSE:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_LONG:INORGANIC:STEEL]
   [ITEMCORPSE_QUALITY:5]
You can replace ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_LONG with any weapon from item_weapon.txt, and you can replace STEEL any material.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Inspiration

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 12:37:13 am »

I would be very grateful if someone could whip up the raw edits for full adamantine armor from cats. I'm no good with the RAWS.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 03:12:46 am »

Actually, I meant the one described here;

I looked on the wiki and didn't notice any new entries on the body tokens page, or creature tokens page, nothing that would lead me to believe that this is true, despite how much I love the idea and want it to make some bronze golems made out of armor and a weapon to give to my dwarves as a defensive measure. (or to be horribly murdered by in the hands of other races)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 03:14:24 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 10:39:52 am »

I think they're talking about adding new reactions like:

[REACTION:MAKE_BONE_BOLT]
   [NAME:make bone bolts]
   [ADVENTURE_MODE_ENABLED]   [REAGENT:bones:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][USE_BODY_COMPONENT][ANY_BONE_MATERIAL]      [PRODUCT:100:15:AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_BOLTS:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:bones:NONE][FORCE_EDGE]
   [SKILL:BONECARVE]

With this you could make bolts from bones of those you've butchered...there's more interesting info in a thread here somewhere or go look for more nifty ones at the DF MODDING threads.
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...
Pages: [1] 2