Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Dwarf Fortress Confessions Thread  (Read 4991 times)

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
The Dwarf Fortress Confessions Thread
« on: July 16, 2010, 05:53:42 pm »

You had plenty of embarrising moments as a newby, so share them while we laugh at you tell you ours.

When, during worldgen, it lists historical figures, dead, and events, I originally thought that "Hist Figs" meant "Figs", as in the tree. I thought it was generating fig trees for my Dwarves to survive off of. I was always confused why figs weren't in the game. I know I saw them being generated, so where are they?
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: The Dwarf Fortress Confessions Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 06:02:28 pm »

It took me three months of playing until I got a fort to survive until the second dwarven caravan.

I still haven't gotten a king.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Shogger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 06:16:13 pm »

I never, ever made my hallways more than one tile wide until very recently. Even when I had over one hundred dwarves, my most highly trafficked zones would just have one tile wide hallways. My larger forts were a mess of dwarves piling over eachother to get where they were going. Thankfully, my standard hallways are now 3 tiles wide.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 06:37:13 pm by Shogger »

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 06:23:05 pm »

I've done this many, many times in the past, and still do occasionally. Due to my poor planning my forts run completely out of booze, and I can't produce more for about a year due to a lack of wood for barrels (too much wood being used for bins/beds for new migrants, and the barrels I do make get used for my overproduction of other food). And often I don't have a backup well in place, so my dwarves all have to go out and drink from the river, leading to mass dwarf death due to carp attacks and ambushes/sieges.
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 06:26:23 pm »

I didn't take hauling jobs off my famer's labor list.  I started getting messages about my champions dying of hunger.  I looked at my food stocks.  There was just a couple of berries.  I looked for my farmer and found him.  He was in the dining hall.  Eating.

I named him Faminesmith.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 06:32:00 pm »

Psh, I wrote this on a adventurer mode topic before, and I shall write it again.

I'm a dwarf, adventurer.
I spot an peasant.
Throw steel battle axe at peasant.
Lodged in the wound.
He falls down.
I get close to get my axe back.
As I get closer, he gets up and removes the axe from the wound.
Then chops my head off with it.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 06:55:40 pm »

Psh, I wrote this on a adventurer mode topic before, and I shall write it again.

I'm a dwarf, adventurer.
I spot an peasant.
Throw steel battle axe at peasant.
Lodged in the wound.
He falls down.
I get close to get my axe back.
As I get closer, he gets up and removes the axe from the wound.
Then chops my head off with it.

At least your adventurer got to participate in a crowning moment of awesome, even if it was someone else's. 
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 07:05:04 pm »

At least your adventurer got to participate in a crowning moment of awesome, even if it was someone else's.
I just picture this peasant, he's never done anything exciting his entire life, never amounted to anything, his highest skill was probably "Legendary +3 Loser".

Then, a psychopath in full steel plate comes charging at him out of nowhere. He hurls his axe through the air, lodging it firmly in the peasant's chest, probably ripping a lung in half.

Lying on the ground, everything starts to go black. Then, suddenly, he opens his eyes, jumps up, and rips the axe out his own torso, causing blood to shoot out of him in several directions. He stands there, blinking his own blood out of his eyes, and looks around.

He sees his assailant standing beside him. He unleashes the most guttural battle cry the attacker had ever heard, and with one hand cleaves the axe into his shoulder, driving it through him as if to cut him in two.

The axe sticks when it makes it to the center of his ribcage, and the adventurer falls down, dead. The peasant falls to legs, choking down his final breathes.

Nearby, a small child watches the entire event in horror. Traumatized, he flees the village, and is eventually picked up by a trade caravan. He winds up in a Dwarven Outpost, where is drafted into the workforce immediately.

He lives a happy, successful life. His crowning achievement- an engraving of an engraving of Urist McVenturer and Urist McPeasant. Urist McPeasant is striking down Urist McVenturer. Urist McVenturer is crying in pain. All the Craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 10:32:33 pm »

I just picture this peasant, he's never done anything exciting his entire life, never amounted to anything, his highest skill was probably "Legendary +3 Loser".

Then, a psychopath in full steel plate comes charging at him out of nowhere. He hurls his axe through the air, lodging it firmly in the peasant's chest, probably ripping a lung in half.

Lying on the ground, everything starts to go black. Then, suddenly, he opens his eyes, jumps up, and rips the axe out his own torso, causing blood to shoot out of him in several directions. He stands there, blinking his own blood out of his eyes, and looks around.

He sees his assailant standing beside him. He unleashes the most guttural battle cry the attacker had ever heard, and with one hand cleaves the axe into his shoulder, driving it through him as if to cut him in two.

The axe sticks when it makes it to the center of his ribcage, and the adventurer falls down, dead. The peasant falls to legs, choking down his final breathes.

Nearby, a small child watches the entire event in horror. Traumatized, he flees the village, and is eventually picked up by a trade caravan. He winds up in a Dwarven Outpost, where is drafted into the workforce immediately.

He lives a happy, successful life. His crowning achievement- an engraving of an engraving of Urist McVenturer and Urist McPeasant. Urist McPeasant is striking down Urist McVenturer. Urist McVenturer is crying in pain. All the Craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.

Thanks for glorifying my failure, sir >:C.

I have another actualy.

Elf adventurer this time, with masterwork iron bow.
I climb the tower, I find a goblin child, a guard and a blacksmith.
I snipe the guard and the blacksmith, blacksmith gets an arrow across its brain and passes out.
Guard gets one on his stomach, I get close and break both of his legs, the pain keeping him down.
I grab the child, break all of its limbs, remove both of its eyes, and leave it catatonic on the ground bleeding through its eyesockets.
I start playing around, grabbing the guard's spear and throwing it at him.
I miss.
I move to recover it.
Turns out the blacksmith woke up.
She charged at me and knocked me over.
Guard crawls nearby while I'm stunned and crushes my head with his shield.
I'm slain by a blacksmith with an arrow poking through her head, and a crippled guard.

Good times.

Oh the child? Apparently she survived.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 12:05:39 am »

I have yet to actually get to a point where I get a count, duke, baron, hammerer, or king. Or any noble past the original ones and the Dungeon Master. The reasons vary, but most of the time I just don't bother with the various requirements. I tend to lose a LOT of dwarves too. The caravans sometimes don't make it either. One time I set my depot on fire, and the fire didn't go out for around two or three years.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 12:14:29 am »

One time I set my depot on fire, and the fire didn't go out for around two or three years.
Pffffft. I've done worse to my garage.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 02:31:03 am »

In my first game, I tunneled into a pond and flooded the passageway, I thought I had lost so I abandoned the fortress.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 03:47:54 am »

The peasant thing sounds like an exaltation.

clc02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 03:55:51 am »

D B D
Oh god the time wasted...

Never got baron count duke or king barring adamantine king
Only in dwarven culture is alcohol poisoning a death worthed investigating, while being impaled through several toes, a eye, and a thumb from a spiraling water[3] is not.  Because everyone knows, the only way a dwarf could get alcohol poisoning is if someone put poison into the alcohol.

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2010, 04:29:49 am »

Not nearly as epic as being murdered by a dying peasant with my own axe, but it took my a good long while before I figured out how the 'dig' designation worked. I assumed it meant digging straight down. When I figured out how to dig straight down, I was delighted (There were no good cliffs on my first embark).
To this day, I still like digging myself a nice hole in the ground.
Pages: [1] 2 3