Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Which would you prefer, vastly complicated or simplified DF?  (Read 4534 times)

Urist McFumbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Which would you prefer, vastly complicated or simplified DF?
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2010, 02:06:57 am »

Complex of course, or else I would stick with Simcity or something else.

Of course we must always remember the inherent correlation between complexity and loopholes aka bugs.

The more complex any system is the more susceptible it is to loopholes. That's why we are here, to help test it out until everything loophole is plugged.

For free (unlike a lot of games nowadays where you do the same after paying a sum of money :P ) and while having fun.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2010, 02:29:20 am »

More asperger fuel please. Complexity in simulation is why I follow DF - I read ALL the cores and many of the random other design plans before they were moved and it all was exciting and far more in-depth than anything else out there. There are literally thousands of simple, straightforward games out there and DF is never going to be one of them, thank god.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2010, 02:30:16 am »

Complex. DF is just not DF without complexity.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2010, 02:32:44 am »

The main draw of the game for me, the ever-building tangled crazy simulated world couldn't exist without it being insanely complex. And as the second draw is the amazing stories that emerge from the increasingly diverse mechanics, I say complexity all the way!

For a city builder, sure a more streamlined experience would be good, but that's not what I'm looking for in Dwarf Fortress.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2010, 02:43:12 am »

I want my subsubsubsubsub menus! Give it to me now.... For Science!
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2010, 02:45:32 am »

To be honest, what astonishes me, is that this game is fun, even if you ignore major aspects of the game. Most games depend on you using most of the aspects, to be any fun, but Dwarf fotress can be intensely fun, just working on getting your farming to work, or setting up butchery. While the UI is somewhat bad, its not nearly as horrible as some seem to make it sound. I'd much rather have complexity I can slowly grow into, as opposed to simplifying so I can get most of the game immediately. Discovering all the cool little tricks you can do to make your life easier are part of what makes DF so much fun!
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

Xenoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2010, 02:48:26 am »

Depth.  That's not necessarily the same thing as complexity.  I love the complexity of design, and crave more complex interactions between dwarf physics and its application to the eradication of elves.  However, the current complexity in menu navigation and general UI IS a problem.  I've played quite a lot in the last 2 years or so, and worked most things out for myself as the game developed.  I can see, however, that for a newcomer now what we have is a new menu system, built on an older system, with hangovers from an even older system.  It's all getting a bit creaky.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2010, 02:53:26 am »

Complexity is basically the entire point of Dwarf Fortress, at least in contrast with other games. It's game where you have a bunch of smiley faces that represent dwarves with fully-defined skeletal structures, and you kill them with magma pumped up from deep underground using a series of Archimedes' screw pumps because they keep demanding shells.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2010, 03:01:34 am »

Complexity is basically the entire point of Dwarf Fortress, at least in contrast with other games. It's game where you have a bunch of smiley faces that represent dwarves with fully-defined skeletal structures, and you kill them with magma pumped up from deep underground using a series of Archimedes' screw pumps because they keep demanding shells.
Not to mention, unless I'm mistaken, minor arterial systems, in addition to a full deck out of organs, and required ones. Also, removing [THOUGHT] tags actually removes.... er.... thought. Your Dorfs just drop.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2010, 03:08:12 am »

Complex, with emphasis on depth, and replayability (running into new things/situations every time you play).
I love how DF generates its own stories, both in worldgen and during gameplay itself, and how every character has its own background and history. Anything that enhances this further would be great. The gameworld seems to get more alive every version, adventure mode needs some improvements so that you can really explore and enjoy all the history you're creating during gameplay, one thing that really adds to the experience of playing in such a world is the level of complexity. It can't be complex enough.

I look forward to a version where players exchange "legendary" DF worlds that have accumulated hundreds of years of history, where adventurers can read about the history of the many fortresses build by players in such a world, while adding there own stories by playing. There really can't be enough complexity in such a world.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 03:11:00 am by Bralbaard »

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2010, 04:35:43 am »

If it isn't complex, how the hell are we going to have massive mech-like constructs activated by recruits/kittens stepping on pressure plates to move each individual joint and/or activate the magma cannon?
Without the complexity, however shall we create epic, weaving tales of adventure, of humour and more often than not, of loss?
If it were not so complex, how would we keep the idiots out?
I like my DF how I like my erotica. Confusing, complex and involving at least three =Cat Leather Gloves=.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2010, 05:20:14 am »

massive mech-like constructs
\
Speaking of which, I can't wait before Toady will implement moving fort parts. That is going to add completely new level of "insane complexity". Magma diving will become most popular dwarven sport.

NFossil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2010, 05:56:09 am »

complex.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2010, 06:06:47 am »

Complex as it gets, but with streamlined controls and bearable FPS.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Nova72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2010, 07:17:52 am »

Well I would love much more complex.  Especially when it comes to mechanics.  More complicated engineering/traps/steam punk mechs would make my day.  Actually just more steampunk in general would make my day.

However, I would like to see a much better UI (no offense but the current one is annoying as hell) and AI.  Also I have yet to get to this point with my forts but better fps seems to be a theme.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5