Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I am so great, I am so great, everyone loves me, I am so great  (Read 1271 times)

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dwarves should get an extra happiness boost the first time or two they see a new statue or engraving or figurine of themselves.

Dwarves should also get annoyed when they see a new image that mocks them ("Urist is surrounded by gross bats") and possibly form a grudge against the artist.

This probably means the expedition leader is going to be the happiest dwarf in the whole fort, but that's ok, he should be pretty proud, right? Though maybe other dwarves who don't like him or are above his station could get a little annoyed if a lot of images of him are floating around.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 10:21:56 pm by loose nut »

blazzano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I am so great, I am so great, everyone loves me, I am so great
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 09:27:29 pm »

Decent idea, I suppose.  Unless the dwarves are entirely without a sense of ego, they're bound to be affected in some way by seeing art of themselves. 

As a side note, for whatever reason, my latest fort is dominated by images of some dwarf who was removed as militia commander, early in the life of the fort.  The poor sop gets to see carvings and such of his failure wherever he goes, the greatest of which is an exceptional gold statue, worth 3750 dwarfbucks, in my dining room.

The sad bit is that he was 'dismissed' from the post because I was playing around with the military assignments - he probably only had the job for a few seconds.

Gamli

• Bay Watcher
  • Will fight to the death over shiny black rock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 10:09:04 pm »

The most entertaining bit of DF-generated stories occur where the game is slightly glitchy.  For example, a fortress with obsessed engravings over some old former mayor who presently slaves in the kitchen with a billion pet cats.

Hmm, maybe:
"Urist has died of thirst because he couldn't pull himself away from a statue of himself long-enough to drink some water"

Then engravers make a number of engravings about Urist the narcissist.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 10:30:27 pm »

Having a dwarf get completely enraptured by that masterwork platinum statue in his likeness (or god forbid artifact) would be a pretty funny side-effect. "Dammit, mayor, get out of the entryway, the goblins are coming – oh balls get the tomb ready guys..."

Actually you would think an artifact in the likeness of some local dwarf might cause a fair bit of interpersonal-drama type Fun, especially if the likeness was not of the local presiding noble...

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 06:37:47 pm »

Entertaining suggestion.

Provided that it doesn't have a major impact on gameplay I'm all for it.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 12:24:34 pm »

what if a dwarf is really shy and humble and gets uncomfortable from all the attention he's receiving? Maybe he can get so mad he starts to smash up art of himself or go beat up the artist?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 03:23:46 pm »

I dunno about shyness, exactly, but YOU DON'T KNOW THE GREAT SIEGE OF 506 MAN YOU WEREN'T THERE YOU DIDN'T HAVE YOUR URISTS DIE IN YOUR ARMS WITH THEIR FALSE RIBS HANGING OUT MAN *smash* *destroy*

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 12:17:39 am »

I dunno about shyness, exactly, but YOU DON'T KNOW THE GREAT SIEGE OF 506 MAN YOU WEREN'T THERE YOU DIDN'T HAVE YOUR URISTS DIE IN YOUR ARMS WITH THEIR FALSE RIBS HANGING OUT MAN *smash* *destroy*

Actually, that could be an interesting possibility...those dwarves that have the "doesn't really care about anything anymore" tag might have the benefits of being jaded towards killing, but at the cost of potentially suffering a breakdown and rampaging.  Either that, or have it something that happens to new dwarves who just experienced killing.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.