Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Your favored Uniform sets  (Read 1619 times)

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
Your favored Uniform sets
« on: July 16, 2010, 05:37:24 pm »

so i guess this is something could need a thread (if there was one i missed it :p)

i play with my drow mod frequently so thats where i use most time of makeing uniforms too.

1. "Priestess" Set (for my house priestess, the militia commander position in my drow mod)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

2. "Sqaudleader" Set (house captains)

3. "Swordsdrow" Set (for male soldiers)

3. "Macedrow" Set (for female soldiers)

4. "Marksdrow" Set (ranged soliders)

5. "Assasine" Set (amazingly agile soldiers, used for a quick deploy squad to get rid of thiefs and animals)

i am not really used to the dying stuff now as it can be really pain in the ass to dye specific items, else i would add some colors too.
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

• Bay Watcher
  • Dammit John.
    • View Profile
Re: Your favored Uniform sets
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 06:07:26 pm »

I prefer to have my dwarves just run around naked. Builds character.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 06:11:10 pm »

I generally just have the same "steel everything and a weapon" setups, the only difference being the weapon in question. I usually use swords, axes and hammers.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 07:40:39 pm »

Best metals possible for everything.

Armor:

Cap
Helm
Mail Shirt
Breastplate
Leggings
Gauntlets
High Boots
Shield

Weapon:

Last week's weapon of choice was the battle axe.  This week's is the war hammer.  Maybe someday it will again be the crossbow which is what I used to favor.  Weapon traps seem to be doing okay with one each spear, mace, and short sword but of course Dwarves can't use three weapons at once.   ;D
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 08:18:04 pm »

well i was more asking for people who actually make uniforms and not just "fit together whats best for this release"-uniforms :/

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 08:30:52 pm »

well i was more asking for people who actually make uniforms and not just "fit together whats best for this release"-uniforms :/

Actually mine are more "fit together the best of what we have"-uniforms.  The weapons are almost inconsequential since my military never fights anyone, and won't until some more bugs are squashed.  It would take 45 Dwarves to fill out your list of military positions, at one squad per type.  I am lucky to find 10 Dwarves that I am willing to spare from more productive activities.   :D

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 08:36:22 pm »

I just send out the mounted war lions.

Sorry, just had to put this somewhere.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 08:38:33 pm »

I wonder how long it took to train the horse to NOT completely freak out when the lion jumps on it. Especially when you have the predator-prey relationship going.

The lion not seeing the horse as 'prey' may help, but still, instincts.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 08:54:38 pm »

In my current (civ forge) fort, I use the following uniforms. Many of the armor types are civ forge exclusive, so I'll include normal DF items for comparison(what I would use in vanilla).

General Of the Army (Assigned to the militia commander)

Bronze Helm
Bronze Mail hauberk (Bronze chain shirt)
Bronze Breastplate
Bronze Greaves
Bronze Plate Gauntlets (Bronze Gauntlets)
Bronze Kite shield (Bronze Shield)
Incendium short sword (I always take one bar of a very good weapon material on embark for the General position. This is because I prefer to have one weapon for the position for the entire lifetime of the fort) In vanilla, the weapon would be made of steel.)

Elite Guard (used for members of the militia commander's squad.)

Bronze Helm
Bronze Mail hauberk (Bronze chain shirt)
Bronze Greaves
Bronze Plate Gauntlets (Bronze Gauntlets)
Weapon and shield varies according to the individual dwarf.

Melee Captain (used for squad leaders in melee combat.
Bronze Chain Coif (Bronze Cap)
Bronze Bronze chain shirt
Bronze Chain Leggings
Bronze Chain Gauntlets (Bronze Gauntlets)

Melee Rank (used for squad members in melee combat.)
Bronze Cap
Bronze Bronze chain shirt

Archery Captain
Bronze Chain Coif (Bronze Cap)
Bronze chain shirt
Bronze Chain Leggings

Archery Rank
Bronze cap
Bronze Mail vest (bronze mail shirt)

If I obtain metal for better gear, It goes by rank. I kit out the General of the Armies with the best materials available, although the starting armor is always bronze - it's extremely affordable on embark, and is a pretty decent base metal.

If, however, I get a better piece of equipment through trade or plunder, I decorate it and give it to the highest-ranking dwarf that uses that type of equipment (Except for the militia commander's weapon. That never gets replaced unless it is somehow destroyed.) So a mail vest will always go to a member of the Archery Rank, because they're the only ones that use it. (This rule applies regardless of material. Even if I get a masterwork mithril mail vest, it will go to a non-officer archer.)
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Shogger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 09:12:12 pm »

The captain of the guard and his squad in my fort all wear cloaks in addition to their bronze armor, shields, and copper maces. Does copper make good blunt weapons, or is it roughly the same as how edged weapons work (copper<iron<bronze<steel<adamantine)? Can't have such a prestigious group of righteous defenders running around with subpar weaponry.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 09:20:16 pm »

Actually mine are more "fit together the best of what we have"-uniforms.  The weapons are almost inconsequential since my military never fights anyone, and won't until some more bugs are squashed.  It would take 45 Dwarves to fill out your list of military positions, at one squad per type.  I am lucky to find 10 Dwarves that I am willing to spare from more productive activities.   :D

45? i dont know how you count :p but well i HAVE half my population in a squad. but only half of them some active job (aka "no schedule" for the other half) all military get some widely used jobs like mason, wood burner, furnance operator, hauling jobs and the like. so i use them actually more militia style than most other dwarf players, which actually have "militia commander" as position :p

i have one commander position get some extra love, as this is mostly the one i name "rhenaya" on embark with some fighting skills from beginning
the squad will be most likely empty for most of the time, as i use her to hunt and scare of animals in the first 1-2 years.
then i have the captain position as squad leader
each squad will have 3-6 of male and 3 female soldiers with the named weapons in my first post.
2 or 3 squads maybe.

and then i will have one or more ranged squad... maybe 1-5 per squad, positioning on guard towers and that stuff, also i will use them on chokepoints to use fortifications a level above that point from opposite direction to shoot down what comes near, while my melee military awaits behind that door.

and the assasines squads (2-5 are later used what i use my commander in early game: flank enemies, scare of animals and that stuff.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 09:42:14 pm »

45? i dont know how you count :p but well i HAVE half my population in a squad. but only half of them some active job (aka "no schedule" for the other half) all military get some widely used jobs like mason, wood burner, furnance operator, hauling jobs and the like. so i use them actually more militia style than most other dwarf players, which actually have "militia commander" as position :p

i have one commander position get some extra love, as this is mostly the one i name "rhenaya" on embark with some fighting skills from beginning
the squad will be most likely empty for most of the time, as i use her to hunt and scare of animals in the first 1-2 years.
then i have the captain position as squad leader
each squad will have 3-6 of male and 3 female soldiers with the named weapons in my first post.
2 or 3 squads maybe.

and then i will have one or more ranged squad... maybe 1-5 per squad, positioning on guard towers and that stuff, also i will use them on chokepoints to use fortifications a level above that point from opposite direction to shoot down what comes near, while my melee military awaits behind that door.

and the assasines squads (2-5 are later used what i use my commander in early game: flank enemies, scare of animals and that stuff.

I figured you might mix types, but it wouldn't make much sense to mix ranged troops with melee troops, and the stealth troops won't work as well mixed with the others either.  So I counted one squad of ten each using mace, sword, crossbow, and whatever the "Assasine" (Assassin is the correct spelling) squad uses, plus one "Sqaudleader" (correctly spelled Squadleader) for each, and the commander aka Priestess.  That's 45.  Obviously you might have more than that, but that seemed minimal to implement your design.  :)

Military at this time do not reliably return to civilian lives (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=605), so I don't put too many Dwarves in my military right now just in case the bug should strike.  I would be delighted to have my Dwarves operate as a militia, when that is reliable.

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 07:46:25 am »

I tend to get a little... different... with my guards.  I want them to look like guards, with uniforms under their armor.  As such, I usually add some color-coded clothing to the armor, as well.  My militia commander is supposed to wear a red shirt and brown trousers, but if I have a civ without those I'll choose the closest approximation.  I try to give "Soldiers" one color cloak/cape, "Guards" another one, and "Explorers" yet another.

"Soldiers" & "Guards" rotate on patrol/guard duty, while "Explorers" receive possibly inadequate armor to go exploring the spoilerific.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 02:02:14 am »

I figured you might mix types, but it wouldn't make much sense to mix ranged troops with melee troops, and the stealth troops won't work as well mixed with the others either.  So I counted one squad of ten each using mace, sword, crossbow, and whatever the "Assasine" (Assassin is the correct spelling) squad uses, plus one "Sqaudleader" (correctly spelled Squadleader) for each, and the commander aka Priestess.  That's 45.  Obviously you might have more than that, but that seemed minimal to implement your design.  :)

Military at this time do not reliably return to civilian lives (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=605), so I don't put too many Dwarves in my military right now just in case the bug should strike.  I would be delighted to have my Dwarves operate as a militia, when that is reliable.

the thing is i rarely use the full squads of 10... i rather have 8 squads with 5 as 4 squads from 10 :p especially the ranged are all invidual groups of 1-2, so i can positioning them independent on my walls/towers/pileboxes/whatever

also does squad 10 doesnt mean leader +9?

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 02:38:53 am »

You can position individual soldiers within a single squad too.