Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Poor Fluffy  (Read 836 times)

weasel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Poor Fluffy
« on: September 20, 2006, 04:20:00 pm »

Man, what a game! I have it on my portable hard drive and I'm playing it non-stop (even at ... uh .. work).

I love the attention to detail - the way the simple graphics force your mind to create the visual for you. Example:

One of my cats was in a botched kobold raid and ended up getting two of it's legs injured. It now limps up and down the hallway, always prone and going very slowly... It eventually gets confused (blue question marks?) and turns around and goes the other way.

Now I'm sitting back and picturing this poor cat. it's draging itself along the ground, pushing itslef with it's hind legs and it's chin. It's yowling pathetically and is obviously in so much pain it's very confounded. But it's Fluffy! Bob the Miner's favorite cat. I can't butcher it!

So Fluffy has been a permanent fixture in my entry hallway, shuffling along horribly. And it really gets me right in the heart every time I scroll past him and I see his valiant effort to drag himself to the nearest pool of water.

Only a game with graphics as simple as this can evoke these kinds of feelings - a more graphical variant of the game might not give me the same level of imagination. It's really taking me back to the good ol' days of gaming where most of the cinematics were in my head.

Bravo!

Ephphatha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Poor Fluffy
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 04:49:00 am »

Poor fluffy, put it out of it's misery  :(

Klyith

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 08:48:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by weasel:
<STRONG>Only a game with graphics as simple as this can evoke these kinds of feelings - a more graphical variant of the game might not give me the same level of imagination.</STRONG>

Moveover, in a game with graphics you couldn't get away with it. It would be just too horrible. Only acsii symbols let you depersonalize it just enough that you can feel okay with the maiming, starving, and general tragedy that is common -- no, mandatory -- in the game.

Can you imagine what it would be like with "real" graphics? If done in a realistic style, it would be just sick and awful. If done in a cartoony style, it would be sad and kinda pathetic (Li'l Brudder! *sob*). Anyways, I can barely bring myself to get rid of overpopulated pets when they're just d's and c's.

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 08:53:00 am »

maybe you could give Bob the miner animal care as one of his skills and hope he tends to the wounded cat.

that, or for the typical 'vicious' response you should expect by now from this games community, that, or you should take Bob and Fluffy to the farms to frolic together one last time, before you drown them.
Yes, both of them.
And then cook Fluffy up in a stew and make a cap out of him.

weasel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 11:08:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Silleh Boy:
<STRONG>And then cook Fluffy up in a stew and make a cap out of him.</STRONG>

Great, now I have to explain to my boss why I have tea droplets sprayed all over the quotes on my desk...