Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15

Author Topic: Best Games You've Ever Played?  (Read 23167 times)

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best Games You've Ever Played?
« Reply #150 on: August 09, 2010, 05:23:43 pm »

Hard Choice, but I'll pick one of the less known ones.

Silent Storm, and its add-on Silent Storm: Sentinels.

One of the finest singleplayer squad based TBS game with RPG elements, that you can find on the market.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 10, 2010, 08:39:48 am »

My personal list of favourites:

1) Nethack. Wit, charm, depth... does everything you could want from it. For some reason, no other roguelike I tried felt as special.

2) Dwarf Fortress. Wit, even more charm, even more depth... still a little rough, but promising to become the best game ever.

3) X-COM. Very refined gameplay, dense atmosphere.

4) Ultima 7: The Black Gate. A timeless classic with a living world and detail to match its looks. Modern games often feel imbalanced in comparison.

5) Master of Magic. So many possibilities, and yet so accessible. The only question is which version to play (with the last official patch, it's still extremely buggy).

6) Deus Ex. It works as a shooter. It works as a stealth game. It works as an interactive novel. It works as practically anything.

7) Civilization 4. The first was the true milestone, but this is the deepest in the franchise. I doubt this will change with the release of Civilization 5.

8) Defcon. Austerity rarely looked this good or contributed as much to the feel of a game.

9) Gothic 2. There are many, many things wrong with the game but it's too immersive for me to care. Shame about the successor...

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 10, 2010, 09:04:21 am »

Wolfenstein 3D and Wolfenstein Spear Of Destiny:They had so much secrets and things to take,they were both Fun & fun and they are classics.

Doom 1 and 2:They also had many secrets,great graphics for the time and most of all they were Fun and fun

Nethack:the reasons mentioned by Alastar and the fact that no mod can make it be more fun,Fun maybe but not fun

Jade Cocoon:It had SO many combo's for monsters and it also had wonderful graphics for its time (Not that I care about graphics)

Silent Hill 1 and 2:Silent Hill 1 was the scariest 2nd most disturbing game that I have ever played,it STILL creeps me out and S.H 2 was Fun fun and extremely disturbing,it makes me feel slightly sick while playing it because of how disturbing it is

Dwarf Fortress:It is unique,the ORIGIN of the meaning of Fun and it has so many posibilities,do you want to flood the caverns with magma and forge an above magma empire?or do you want to drain the sea for mermaids?Only in DF would you drain the sea for mermaids

Resident evil (the series up to 3,the ones after that,excluding 5 of course derserve an honourable mention)It was scary,dark,Fun and a mixture of Strategy and 3rd person shooter,without RE we wouldn't have the Survival Horror genre so it derserves to be on my list

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 10, 2010, 09:12:37 am »

My dad is obsessed with that Two Worlds game. He's played through it like 3 times. I played it once, enough to buy all the traps in the world and set them infront of the biggest city in the game and get all the guards to chase me into them.

That was about all the fun I had in it

(also tales of symphonia is my favourite rpg game ever)

mothra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 10, 2010, 09:21:32 am »

ok,

warcraft series(warcraft 2)
  settlers series(settlers 3)
  redalert series(redalert 2)

colonization
  dungeon keeper
  harvest moon
  earthbound
  stronghold
  x-com
  starwars battlefront 2
  hearts of iron series

good old games-

seven cities of gold
  rings of zilfin
  roadwarrior
  fairly tale adventure
  toe jam and earl

best i can think of

« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 09:23:21 am by mothra »

Captain Alchatron

• Bay Watcher
  • The Elbow of Ragnaros
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 10, 2010, 04:52:00 pm »

Europa 1400: The Guild.  What else?!  Pity you can't find it anywhere nowadays, though.

I found The Guild to be extremely tedious and boring, actually.

Impossible!  The Guild is like... the Deus Ex of sims.  Rubbish graphics, lacking in realism, and hardly any plot, but it manages to be insanely good.  Politics is the Guild's forte, as is trying to get things in runs (how many years can you get Count in, for instance). 

And the multiplayer is brilliant, if hilariously buggy: I had one game where my brother, playing over LAN, saw all of the male NPCs in my game as women and vice versa, so when he married a woman it turned out to be a man and he could never have kids...  Bizarre.
If you go up to someone and beat the hell out of them with thread, you not only defeat them, you shame them and their entire family for generations to come (providing that there are any survivors).
Various mouths were involved, and a soda can and a penny I think.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 10, 2010, 04:53:39 pm »

KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 10, 2010, 09:36:47 pm »

Gonna add Vagrant Story for the PSX.

Isometric roleplayer, where weapons and armor had 15 or so characteristics. As you used them, they attuned to the stuff they were killing (or defending against.) Then you could combine them in workshops to create new weapons and armor, give them names, socket gems to further enhance them, all that jazz.

A "attack by body part" combat system that combined tactical thinking with twitch skills (you build combos by timing your attacks to unleash various effects on your opponent. You map effects to different buttons, and then cycle between abilities, all the while hitting your timing marks, both for attack and defense.)

On top of that, it just had one of the coolest RPG settings ever. A ruined, vine-covered city filled with mythical creatures and undead of every sort. Just enough JRPG styling to give it appeal without becoming totally ridiculous, a somewhat vague storyline that still got you interested....god it's was just such a good 'un. I pray someone sees that game in a few years and gets inspired to remake it, or something like it.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 09:39:42 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 10, 2010, 10:06:35 pm »

http://agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=tactics

Oh my goodness, the translation is complete.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Deadbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 10, 2010, 10:31:15 pm »

Most of my favourites were already told, so I will give you a few of great small games I just like.

!
Meat Boy
Go, Beryllium!
Time, Gentlemen, please! and Ben there, Dan that!
Iji
AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! - A Reckles Disregard to Gravity

These two, forever. I haven't actually played through Iji since 1.3, but If I can complete it without killing anyone, that would be so boss. AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard to Gravity was just a really fun, really cathartic play.

Dwarf Fortress, Cave Story, Okami, Half Life and its sequels, Portal.

I want to play Fallout 2, and people keep on telling me it's the shiz.

It's the shiz.

I'd have to say that Pokemon has stolen at the very least 400 hours of my life, however, 200 of that is owned by Pokemon Ruby ALONE. Lvl 86 Blaziken? Hells yes. Unbeatable lvl 50 Battle Tower team? Hells yes. I'd have to say my favorite is Crystal, more or less because Lance is soooo incredibly hard to beat if you've only trained one or two Pokemon through the whole game.

Up next on hours carved from my life is Team Fortress 2, at 303 hours. That game is so damn fun that I can't even describe it. Pinning people to the wall by their head with an arrow. Oh yeah, I'm up for that any day.

However, FFTA has also taken at least 120-200 hours away from me, but that was such an immortally fun game. I fought the end boss at one point and decided to do a combo on them. It was 453+999 damage. Maximum hp only goes up to 999. And they didn't have no maximum hp.

I did borrow Disgaea 2 from a friend at one point, and that was incredibly fun, just making my characters incredibly ridiculously powerful.

Starcraft was also really fun, when I could find single player playable UMS maps. I never could beat the AI opponent without cheating.

Oh! and there is also Sonny and Bubble Tanks.
Quote from: chmod
SEX AND HAPPINESS NOW REPORTING CORRECTLY!

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 10, 2010, 10:55:22 pm »

I enjoyed Disgaea 2 but Disgaea 3 is better in so, so many ways. And you can get all the characters from 2 by DLC.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 10, 2010, 11:32:23 pm »

Phantasy Star IV may be my favorite RPG of all time, definitely among jRPGs. It was a great blend of Fantasy and Science Fiction, with androids, bio-engineered monsters, evil cults, interplanetary travel, and good old Sword and Sorcery. This video does a good job of summing it up.

Also, Shining: The Holy Ark was a turn-based first person RPG in the Shining series. Some great tunes, dungeon crawls, challenging logical puzzles, and a great little storyline. Sadly, it flew under the radar since it was only released for the Sega Saturn. This is one of the last great Sega RPGS.

Deadbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 11, 2010, 12:05:46 am »

I can't even believe I forgot to mention Golden Sun! That game and it's sequel/second part are both amazing games, imo. Sound track was beautiful, visuals were amazing, even for the GBA, and there was just so much stuff to explore!
Quote from: chmod
SEX AND HAPPINESS NOW REPORTING CORRECTLY!

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #163 on: August 11, 2010, 02:40:20 am »

I can't even believe I forgot to mention Golden Sun! That game and it's sequel/second part are both amazing games, imo. Sound track was beautiful, visuals were amazing, even for the GBA, and there was just so much stuff to explore!

Agreed, Golden Sun was a great RPG that I can't really say anything bad about.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 11, 2010, 05:02:06 am »

Phantasy Star IV may be my favorite RPG of all time, definitely among jRPGs. It was a great blend of Fantasy and Science Fiction, with androids, bio-engineered monsters, evil cults, interplanetary travel, and good old Sword and Sorcery. This video does a good job of summing it up.

Also, Shining: The Holy Ark was a turn-based first person RPG in the Shining series. Some great tunes, dungeon crawls, challenging logical puzzles, and a great little storyline. Sadly, it flew under the radar since it was only released for the Sega Saturn. This is one of the last great Sega RPGS.

YES!Phantasy Star IV and the Phantasy Star series (not including 3) are some of my favourite JRPGs ever.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15