Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

Author Topic: Best Games You've Ever Played?  (Read 23171 times)

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best Games You've Ever Played?
« Reply #135 on: August 02, 2010, 05:14:23 pm »

Since when did a hefty learning curve and an unfriendly interface ever stop anyone?

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 02, 2010, 05:28:43 pm »

If anything, I included that bit as a means to attract a few people with the challenge.  :)
This is not a signature.

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 02, 2010, 05:36:15 pm »

winSPWWII
Great game but I prefer winSPMBT . Simply because modern warfare (no, not CoD) opens up new possibilities and it covers wider time period.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #138 on: August 03, 2010, 01:36:31 am »

winSPWWII- Battalion level turn-based warfare set between 1930 and 46. Huge number of nations to play, down to even minor combatants of the period, with an expansive list of units and formations per nation to select from. Combined arms tactical heaven. I wish I had a dollar for ever hour of my life I've wasted on this one.

Hit up the various flavors of Close Combat for a real-time interpretation. The various excellent mods out there give you Japanese or other theater-related toppings. I think there's even one from Greek/Italy or something like that for CC2. If you think they're too outdated, Matrix (I think) is remaking them.

Great game but I prefer winSPMBT .

Close Combat: Modern Tactics, see above why.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 03, 2010, 04:16:56 pm »

Master of Orion...maybe there's objectively better games, but it's elegant simplicity is great.

Monkey Island 1 and 2.

King's Quest 5 and 6.

Rollercoaster Tycoon.

Morrowind, obviously. Is there another game truly like this? I don't know of it.

Angband...well really, I've barely played Vanilla, but Zangband. And I've never gotten higher than clvl 40, if that.

2 dimensional Worms games.

Counterstrike.

Quake deathmatches were so fun back in the day...
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

FallenAnzel

• Bay Watcher
  • Love? love is for the living.
    • View Profile
    • Cr0ms Communism
« Reply #140 on: August 04, 2010, 01:20:24 am »

Grim Fandango
Shit is so amazing.
Tokarev is gay.

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 06, 2010, 12:58:21 pm »

Hrmm...  well Ultima VII and Ultima Underworld are some of my all time favorites...
Warcraft 2, Deus Ex, Oblivion, Fallout 1, descent freespace,..

It's been a while since a AAA game has blown me away... i think i'm just spoiled now, and 27.

Lately I've been playing a lot of indie games like Minecraft, DF, stuff like that and am having a blast with those.
Bay12Forums are a great way for me to discover new games and like minded people!

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 06, 2010, 01:52:33 pm »

Recettear. Even though I just played the demo so far.

I hope the full version is out soonish.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 07, 2010, 03:17:45 am »

Turn-based tactic: X-Com series (yes, I like Apocalypse too) and Jagged Alliance 2

made me think...what if you combined the two?
...Aliens
...Mercenaries
...Alien Mercenaries!!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 03:24:23 am by yamo »
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Evilgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 07, 2010, 03:18:46 am »

Recettear. Even though I just played the demo so far.

I hope the full version is out soonish.

I'm willing to agree with this.

Captain Alchatron

• Bay Watcher
  • The Elbow of Ragnaros
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 07, 2010, 10:56:29 am »

Europa 1400: The Guild.  What else?!  Pity you can't find it anywhere nowadays, though.
If you go up to someone and beat the hell out of them with thread, you not only defeat them, you shame them and their entire family for generations to come (providing that there are any survivors).
Various mouths were involved, and a soda can and a penny I think.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 07, 2010, 02:04:42 pm »

Wow only 1 mention of Star Control 2? I'm sad now.

Xcom and DOOM ate hours and hours of my life. So did Diablo 2, in all it's broken glory.

No one has mentioned Ascendancy, so I'll throw that in. I like the mix of galactic conquest and planetary development, and the alien races were delightfully unique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx-YGTqgWWk
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 07, 2010, 02:07:38 pm »

Europa 1400: The Guild.  What else?!  Pity you can't find it anywhere nowadays, though.

I found The Guild to be extremely tedious and boring, actually.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Calculus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 07, 2010, 08:02:18 pm »

Xcom 1, Privateer, Colonization, Transport Tycoon.
« Reply #149 on: August 09, 2010, 05:14:40 pm »

Much earlier in the thread, Two Worlds was mentioned... I looked it up, and agreed that it was shit, but decided to look up the prices anyway. Apparently, Good 'ol Games had it on sale for $7 digital download. DRM free! Now, after spending my donut-fund-jar's collection, I have found a game that fixed a lot of the flaws of Oblivion, and has a more Morrowind feel. The combat is a little clunky, and everything scales very quickly, so large numbers get thrown around a lot and having nearly 1,000,000gp by level 40 is not uncommon. I managed to try out the demo ahead of time, and it seemed pretty solid. I think that the demo is more of a demo-area. You get unlimited time, but you can't leave a certain area, so you run out of quests quickly... But, after buying it, I haven't stopped playing it for two days. This is my break from the game before I go back to it... Gotta make a hot pocket, take a shower, change my clothes, pray that I don't get fired for using all of my vacation days unexpectedly, drink eight glasses of water (over time), brush my teeth, etc. Not in that particular order, but something like it. Oh yeah, I'm just nearing level 40 now, and my character can take pretty much anything without any trouble. I played the demo on easy, then switched to medium for the real game, and even now I can't help but slaughter everything in my path... Perhaps it is because I have nearly 100 strength... xD

Wow, I really ramble when I'm high.

Hm.
Hey, look what I did!
Dr. Melon cancels read post: spelling incredibly poor.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15