Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15

Author Topic: Best Games You've Ever Played?  (Read 23213 times)

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
Re: Best Games You've Ever Played?
« Reply #120 on: July 19, 2010, 06:42:28 pm »

Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven.
  It was my second full video game, with the first being Heroes of Might and Magic, from a disc I found at Good Will 8-9 years ago. Without them both, I don't think I would have been a gamer. However, interest less that my fanatical level is justified without nostalgia, simply because it was made by those who really enjoyed what they were doing. There is a fan community currently trying to make assorted versions of Might and Magic 10 (the company was bought out by Ubisoft, who then proceeded to use the name (sometimes) and trash everything else).

Riven: The sequel to Myst - Honestly, nothing will ever beat the atmosphere of utter loneliness in a strange place that the Myst games have, and Riven is the best one.
I don't think I ever would have described it as lonely, just peaceful, and a positive emotion there aren't words for.
I should write some of these down. I really want to get Myst and the sequels too. I've heard that they're really good, and apparently difficult.
They may seem difficult, but taking notes and thinking about causes it to "click" often and in rapid succession. You usually only get "stuck" when transitioning from one puzzle to another.

Edit: Utterly horrible mistake.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 12:00:39 am by Nivm »
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 19, 2010, 07:17:12 pm »

Suikoden II. I harp on about it on the Wrestlecrap boards but it's truly one of the greatest RPG's of all time. Now, if only Konami re-released it as a digital download or with the PSP release outside of Japan.
Indeed. I like playing Suikoden 2 but wish I could contribute money to the developers, or even just the publisher, (rather than pay the way expensive price for the original to people who don't deserve the money at all) to let them know people are still interested in olden Suikoden-like games.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Singularity125

• Bay Watcher
  • [GAMING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 19, 2010, 08:14:49 pm »

Suikoden II. I harp on about it on the Wrestlecrap boards but it's truly one of the greatest RPG's of all time. Now, if only Konami re-released it as a digital download or with the PSP release outside of Japan.
Indeed. I like playing Suikoden 2 but wish I could contribute money to the developers, or even just the publisher, (rather than pay the way expensive price for the original to people who don't deserve the money at all) to let them know people are still interested in olden Suikoden-like games.

Man, I only ever got to rent that game, once. From what little I remember, it was fun (108 recruitable characters is mind-boggling, though). I might just have to find a download for it.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 19, 2010, 08:40:10 pm »

Might and Magic IX: The Mandate of Heaven.
  It was my second full video game, with the first being Heroes of Might and Magic, from a disc I found at Good Will 8-9 years ago. Without them both, I don't think I would have been a gamer. However, interest less that my fanatical level is justified without nostalgia, simply because it was made by those who really enjoyed what they were doing. There is a fan community currently trying to make assorted versions of Might and Magic 10 (the company was bought out by Ubisoft, who then proceeded to use the name (sometimes) and trash everything else).

Mandate of Heaven is be Might and Magic VI.  IX was a terrible, terrible attempt to bring the series to full 3D that was released unfinished.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 20, 2010, 02:21:35 am »

Man, I only ever got to rent that game, once. From what little I remember, it was fun (108 recruitable characters is mind-boggling, though). I might just have to find a download for it.
Play through first one and then import save
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 20, 2010, 02:31:36 am »

Silent Hill 1 and 2 were great,they are one of the only games to make me scared shame I don't own SH2  :(

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 25, 2010, 04:43:29 am »

Ocarina of Time. Definitely. Also Link's Awakening.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 25, 2010, 04:49:39 am »

Final Fantasy IV and maybe VI too. Got to the end with both, but I never had the balls to show Zemus/Kefka who's boss.

Keevu

• Bay Watcher
  • I would rather be with trees.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 01, 2010, 05:59:06 am »

Harvest moon: A wonderful life
Metal gear solid 2
Fallout 2
Baldurs gate 2
Dwarf Fortress
Ragnarok (the roguelike)
Oh and also Ragnarok online.
Oblivion
Final fantasy 10
Animal crossing

Sad thing is I cant find any more games with this quality thats why I browse these threads alot haha

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #129 on: August 01, 2010, 12:54:19 pm »

I really need to find my Baldur's Gate discs :(

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 01, 2010, 03:07:25 pm »

Monster Hunter, and Monster Hunter Tri.
There's just something amazing about hunting down monsters, and making weapons and armor out of their corpses, then hunting down more of the same monster, just to say "THIS WEAPON WAS MADE OUT OF YOUR FATHER!"

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 01, 2010, 08:15:19 pm »

This is a tough question to answer, for me anyways. I make distinctions on "best I've played" versus "my personal favourites", and among those categories I also see several classes based on several other factors.

So, to answer the thread literally, the best games I've ever played include (in no order):

Morrowind
C&C: Red Alert
Thief II
Final Fantasy 9

I consider these "best" in terms of technical quality, atmosphere, story, sounds, music and gameplay value. They excell in all categories (in context of the years in which they were each released). They're not only well-made, but fun and full of gameplay and variety.

My favourite games, on the other hand, are:

Legacy of Kain (series)
Final Fantasy 7
Creatures (series)

I'm particularly fond of LoK's sprawling, mind-fuckingly complicated storyline, and deep, interesting characters.

FF7's characters, story and atmosphere are immersive and addicting; this was the first FF game I ever played, so nostalgia plays a big part in this choice. However, I'm not going to appease the Internet's currently fasionable group opinion by pretending this isn't my favourite game in the world, or say that it's "sooo overrated", despite having heard that phrase spoken in this context about five million times in the past few years by all the kids who want to stay kewl and up-to-date with current popular trends. Something isn't "overrated" because too many people like it, and it's not edgy to deliberately have the opposite opinion for no other reason. Damnit. </soapbox>

As for the Creatures games, I'm chalking that up to nostalgia, plus my love for toying with AI and watching procedural/unpredictable behaviours, and no other application or game has ever come close to the realistic nature and complexity of these endearing little animals. <3
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 08:19:50 pm by Moogie »
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 01, 2010, 08:26:15 pm »

No, but something is overrated if they heard good things and it wasn't that good to them.

So in my opinion, FF7 is overrated. But not because it was bad, but because i heard brilliant things.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 01, 2010, 08:34:35 pm »

Still playing Baldurs gate 2, 10 years after the fact. majora mask and Faallout 3 also are good. Starcraft has kept me occupied too.

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 02, 2010, 02:30:24 pm »

winSPWWII- Battalion level turn-based warfare set between 1930 and 46. Huge number of nations to play, down to even minor combatants of the period, with an expansive list of units and formations per nation to select from. Combined arms tactical heaven. I wish I had a dollar for ever hour of my life I've wasted on this one.

Want to head up the assault on Omaha Beach? They've got a scenario for it. How about a little Iwo Jima action? They've got one for that, too, and hundreds of other predesigned scenarios from all fronts all throughout the war.

The campaign modes, randomly generated or user-made, both shine as enjoyable experiences.

The AI opponent is fairly intelligent and fun to play against, but nothing compares to the game's multiplayer play-by-email function. A human opponent really makes this game shine.

The learning curve is pretty hefty, and the interface is not always the friendliest. A read through the manual is strongly recommended to anyone willing to check this game out, as is at least a little bit of prior military history knowledge (it helps greatly).
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 02:34:41 pm by Skeeblix »
This is not a signature.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15