Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: Best Games You've Ever Played?  (Read 23196 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best Games You've Ever Played?
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2010, 05:59:11 pm »

The original Team Fortress. Much simpler than TF2 but it was pure while offering quite a bit of variety in strategy and team work.

Also Master of Orion gave me countless years of gaming.

3rd place and someday my number one would be DF
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2010, 06:35:04 pm »

Planetside.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2010, 06:40:38 pm »

X-com, Deus Ex, and TF2 are the main ones that come to mind.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2010, 06:44:53 pm »

I consider singleplayer FPSs to be in a different category than multiplayer. The gameplay of a game is changed a lot by other people. Some games would be a lot better with a good community, and some games would be really bad without the community.
Also, please note I have never owned a single console, except for the Wii, and I have yet to play it. Though I have played some games. Also note that these aren't really in any order.
Anyway, HL2 is a favorite for everyone, I really liked the episodes too, mostly Ep2, though that thing with the guardian was confusing, I really had no idea where I was supposed to go. The final thing was rather difficult as well.
TF2 has to be mentioned again. I don't like Halo,
I haven't actually played very many TBS games other than the Civ series. Other than Alpha Centauri, which quite literally was Civ IN SPAAAAAAAACE. I really liked the government choices in that though, glad they brought that style back in Civ 4.
Black and White. Has nobody mentioned this yet? This is an amazing game, and I wasted so much time playing it. I don't have the second, but I've heard it isn't as good. I once had an amusing glitch where I put a pregnant women into the ocean, I expected her to drown of course. Instead, she gave birth, and when I went back to look at her later, she and her child were walking on the ocean. I don't really run into glitches, ever. I haven't ever seen a single glitch in a game except for that one, and a couple of times in various games. Nothing gamebreaking though.
I really enjoyed Mount & Blade, or at least the demo for it.
I don't really like many RTS games, because of the consistent focus on micro. I personally hate microing, and am no good at it. I like TBS a lot better. If anybody knows some RTSs that don't have microing, or at least minimalize (is that even a real word?) it, I'd be glad to try them. Too many RTS games focus on actions per minute, and I really hate it.
I really like RPGs, though I want more. Oblivion was rather enjoyable, though like other people have said, it's only really good with mods. I really want to know people's opinions on Dragon Age: Origins.
If RPGs aren't my favorite genre, then sandboxes are. Garry's Mod is amazing, and is just that much better with Wire. Blockland is a pretty good one too, though the community can be bad sometimes. Also, Vertigon is wrong about "a couple hundred". Try a couple hundred thousand. I think the actual limit is around 256,000. Absolutely insane. The modding and events are really great too.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2010, 06:55:31 pm »

Black and White. Has nobody mentioned this yet? This is an amazing game, and I wasted so much time playing it. I don't have the second, but I've heard it isn't as good. I once had an amusing glitch where I put a pregnant women into the ocean, I expected her to drown of course. Instead, she gave birth, and when I went back to look at her later, she and her child were walking on the ocean. I don't really run into glitches, ever. I haven't ever seen a single glitch in a game except for that one, and a couple of times in various games. Nothing gamebreaking though.
You've never seen a glitch in dwarf fort? :o
Updating my list with blockland that game is really fun :D
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2010, 07:09:14 pm »

I don't think I've personally experienced many glitches in DF. Not that I can think of right now anyway.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2010, 07:12:51 pm »

I don't think I've personally experienced many glitches in DF. Not that I can think of right now anyway.
Boiling Freezing Leather.
Acid Rain.
Planepacked.
Spontaneous Water Freezing. (?)

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2010, 07:17:15 pm »

Also Chaos Seed, despite it being in moonspeak. Fan translation's close-ish to being finished, though!
Oh shit, really?! I never got anywhere in CS and I didn't understand a lot of what I was doing, but I loved that game.

Other games I love include:
Audiosurf: No other music game has kept my attention for long, but this one keeps me coming back to it. It's great, and it doesn't have a set track list (and you don't have to pay for new songs  ::)).
Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War: Definitely one of my favorite games that I've played, and tied for my favorite in the FE series; my favorite SNES FE. It's a class-based TBS where you promote your units, and one that has you influence the characters of the second half of the game by how you play the first in a way that isn't contrived. Only released in Japan but it does have fan translation patches.
Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn (officially FE: Radiant Dawn): While I despise the official English title, this is tied for my favorite in the FE series. I love that they finally brought in third tier classes, something the fans have been using for a long time. While the Beast characters are for the most part useless (something carried over from the game prior to this one). I definitely wouldn't mind if there was a sequel to this sequel, as long as the story wasn't too contrived.
Mount & Blade: Only game I've ever played that's like it is it. It's really great.
Portal: It really is a no-brainer that this is one of the best games I've ever played. Though it is on the short side, it definitely doesn't overdo it's welcome, and I'm hoping the upcoming Portal 2 won't either.
Romance of the Three Kingdoms: Not quite 4X but something somehow similar. And it's based on an old Chinese novel based on history (which I still need to get)! The RoTK series has had me hooked for about 2 years now. I play 6 on my PSP when I'm away and will play VIII when I'm home.
Sword of the Stars: My favorite 4X game, a genre I only recently delved into. Its backstory is excellent and it provides a good story-making game. I am greatly anticipating SotS2, which should come early next year. I just hope they keep the mechanics the expansions brought that made the first game great.
Team Fortress 2: I've put more time into that game than any other game in my life.
World of Goo: While it doesn't have too much in the way of replayabality, it's a great indie game that actually provides a decent satire.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2010, 07:24:15 pm »

Hmm, I have a few.

a) Phantasy Star Online (and its non-MMO successors) - the first and only MMO that I played seriously. Got me hooked on...
b) Monster Hunter. For some reason, insanely addicting.
c) Final Fantasy Tactics (and Advance, but that's the end). So many hours dumped into turn-based strategy! Pretty damn good games.
d) Portal. Showed me a different perspective to gaming and was loads of fun. I think I completed all the advanced rooms, but none of the trials.

Dwarf Fortress is definitely up there, but I find DF really intriguing because of the stories it generates - sometimes, I get tired of the gameplay, though.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2010, 07:29:28 pm »

Damn, I forgot Portal. I really hope Portal 2 is good. I should mention Tag too. They are from the same school the original Portal team is from, and Valve hired them too.

Boiling Freezing Leather.
Acid Rain.
Planepacked.
Spontaneous Water Freezing. (?)
No, no, not personally, and no. I wasn't able to play much of the new version until the acid rain was fixed anyway.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2010, 07:34:18 pm »

Update OP with Portal reason:too awesome
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2010, 07:57:16 pm »

Yeah, you guys mentioned most of my favorites. X-Com and Fallout 2.. no brainer.

Europa Universalis 3 (+Magna Mundi mod)
It was what I was really looking for in Medieval: Total War and Civ4 RFC. Best world-dominating simulator ever.

Football Manager 2010
Gets more and more realistic every year. An immense amount of detail, and very addictive. It tends to have a lot of obvious exploits, but they've lowered by a lot lately.

Fallout Tactics
Poor game balance, sloppy level design, poor story. But it was just a fun game to build a character, run around, shoot things, and further level up that character. Giving 200% experience for not saving the game between missions made it even better.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2010, 08:16:25 pm »

Oh shit, really?! I never got anywhere in CS and I didn't understand a lot of what I was doing, but I loved that game.

http://www.dynamic-designs.us/, about four news posts down. Dialogue script was basically done last December; most of what's left is menu-work, near as I can tell. Some internal issues with th'group according to their forums, but a release by 2012... maybe, just maybe. Be worth the wait :D
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2010, 08:24:02 pm »

Well the best games I've ever played are:

Morrowind- Great story, huge open world, I loved the lore. I still think this is better than Oblivion, the only downsides are its combat system.

ArmA 2- The best fps I have ever played. Huge modding potential, great online community, very tactical. It so fun working in a online squad and doing a mission that someone made.

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2010, 08:31:35 pm »

Probably the Baldur's gate series, Planescape, Morrowind, Tf2, HL2, Hitman Games, Hearts of Iron 2 especially the Kaisereich mod.
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15