Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15

Author Topic: Best Games You've Ever Played?  (Read 23201 times)

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best Games You've Ever Played?
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 04:28:51 pm »

Suikoden II. Even though I generally don't like jrpg's becuase of their linearity, grind, stupid characters and super sayian powers this is one of my favourite rpg's. If you haven't played yet grab it from somewhere and start up psx emulator.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 04:35:19 pm »

In no particular order:

Final Fantasy V and VI
Aquaria
Civilization IV
X-Com: UFO Defense
Team Fortress 2
Dwarf Fortress (Duh.)
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 04:37:52 pm »

Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door
I really keep having cravings to replay that game despite having no clue which system it was for or where my disc for it is.

It was for the Gamecube. I do like that game a lot.

I would say Cave Story is one of the best games I have played.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Seamas

• Bay Watcher
  • Which way to the Egress?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 04:41:05 pm »

Oregon Trail II - Mostly nostalgia speaking, but it was so captivating.  And the music and photographs just brought it all to life.  I still play it from time to time.

King of Dragon Pass - Never have I encountered such an original, creative game.  The artwork was spectacular, the music not half bad.  Such a rich world to enter for a few hours, and leading your clan was a very personal experience.  It all felt so real.

Mafia - Just, so good.  GTA3 in the thirties, basically, but it was like playing through a great movie...just had you hinging on what was going to happen next!  At the time the graphics were damn good, too...and the missions really were designed in painstaking detail (people smoking in the alleys, overhearing conversations, the rubbish heaps, weeds growing out of the pavement).  And a perfectly classic mafia shootout to finish it all.

..and to be honest, based on very recent experience I've got to venture Crusader Kings (with all the DV and patches, obviously) because it was the first time in all the strategy games I've ever played that a game truly caught me by surprise.  Its like playing through a history book, sometimes.  Which to a nerd like myself is a real joy.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 04:43:09 pm by Seamas »
"One should behave like a gentleman when dealing with gentlemen, and a bastard when dealing with bastards."

Pathos

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 04:42:38 pm »

King of Dragon Pass - Never have I encountered such an original, creative game.  The artwork was spectacular, the music not half bad.  Such a rich world to enter for a few hours, and leading your clan was a very personal experience.  It all felt so real.

Dear god, this. A Glorantha RPG would make me stain my pants with nerdjuice.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2010, 04:43:07 pm »

There's a bloody lot of bloody good games I've played, but it seems System Shock 2 hasn't been mentioned, so I'm going with that.

Also Chaos Seed, despite it being in moonspeak. Fan translation's close-ish to being finished, though!

And pretty much everything already mentioned, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2010, 04:45:18 pm »

STALKER.
Command And Conquer. (Everything before CnC 3. Except Renegade.)
Most Call OF Duty games. Except the Modern Warfares.
Metal Gear.
X-Com UFO Defense and partially TFTD.
Flash Games.

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2010, 04:58:54 pm »

Aw damn, I forgot Super Smash Bros. Melee and Star Wars Battlefront 2. Shadow of the Colossus was a really fun game too.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2010, 05:22:21 pm »

Naxza may disagree with me, but I loved Ratched: Deadlocked. The commentators banter was perfectly themed for the game, the gladiator style combat actually went over well, with good pacing between large outdoor areas and small battlezones and a lot of the kooky weapons from the earlier series. Twas very fun. Definitely one of the best games I've ever played, I've gone through it 7 or so times.

Actually, I can list every R&C game except Size Matters (which was awesome on the PSP but the port sucked) as one of the best games. Haven't played the one for the PS3, it's tempting to get a PS3 just for that though.

Portal. Let's all be honest, there's no need for explanation.

The Matrix: Path of Neo. The plot tried and failed to follow the movie, the cutscenes carved apart all 3 movies in a nauseating a dizzying orgy of disconcerting images, and despite all that I loved it. The combat system was incredible, you actually started to feel like your skill impacted the game. Twas very fun.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2010, 05:27:26 pm »

Starseige: Tribes
 You'll never get me to say otherwise.

This.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2010, 05:34:15 pm »

Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door
I really keep having cravings to replay that game despite having no clue which system it was for or where my disc for it is.
Its for the good old GC  :)
Favorite game would probably be Rollercoaster Tycoon 2
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2010, 05:46:03 pm »

Legacy of Kain series (perhaps besides Blood Omen 2) - good writing, creative storyline, great voice-acting, average to good combat.

X-Com - best combination of strategy and tactical turn-based ever as far as I'm concerned.

Fallout 1 - great atmosphere, decent to good writing, good combat, good quest design. Especially liked how what you did in various towns had an effect that was explained at the end of the game.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2010, 05:47:25 pm »

Hmmm okay I can think of some,

Team Fortress 2
Disgaea
Ace Attorney
Mario (main game line)
Mass Effect 1&2
BlazBlue
XCOM

There's probably others I can't think of right now.

Banjo Kazooie
Grabbed by the Ghoulies
Kingdom Hearts
Pikmin
Serious Sam
Sly Cooper
Worms
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 05:50:17 pm by ToonyMan »

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2010, 05:52:10 pm »

Blockland. Amazing game. A couple hundred blocks to do whatever the hell you want with them, and an incredible event system that allows you to recreate pong using legos, or make a survival rpg complete with hunger and cold bars, or make an fps where you hunt down purple lego people. :D

Oblivion. Massive open world to explore, engaging stories, missions, characters, I even love the books in the game.

Two Worlds. Honestly, the game was terrible. But it's still fun because below level 10, I sucked. When I hit level 10, I decimated cities with ease. I was testing a bow I found and accidentally one-shotted a civvy in the face. I loled and destroyed the guards with ease. Then, I hunted down beggars for thirty minutes. Then, I booked it out of town, and found a necromancer's tower. I pushed my horse off the top after decimating everything around. Also, the ingredients for potions and alchemy are quite entertaining. I also remember leading a wyvern into a town. Great fun was had by all me.

Red Dead: Redemption. Once again, massive open world to explore, combat mechanics are excellent, horse riding and horse taming mechanics are great too, even the poker is fun. I am in the process of enjoying this game greatly.

ALSO: Two Worlds II is coming out soon I think, with an amazing Spellmaking gameplay mechanic. I can't want to make a spell that, upon impact, splits into 7 shards that spawn angry bears upon impact :D

Or a spell that upon impact, creates 10 shards, that upon impact, set fire and create 10 more shards, that upon impact, summon meteors. OHSHIT RUN

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2010, 05:57:37 pm »

I'll assort them by genre, I suppose. These are my favourites.

Indie: Dwarf Fortress (hoho)
FPS: Either Team Fortress 2 or Aliens Versus Predator 2
FPSRPG: STALKER Call of Pripyat
RTS: StarCraft
TBS: Age of Wonders series
RPG: Legacy of Kain series
Whatever genre Mount & Blade fits into: Mount & Blade Warband
Metroidvania: Super Metroid
2D Platformer: Super Mario World
3D Platformer: Super Mario Galaxy 2
Action: Devil May Cry 3
Whatever you'd call it: Metal Gear Solid 4