Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15

Author Topic: Best Games You've Ever Played?  (Read 23195 times)

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best Games You've Ever Played?
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2010, 11:39:25 am »

Monster Hunter 1&3: Most fun.

Shadow of the Colossus: Most life-changing.

Entire Metal Gear Solid series: Highest quality. Maybe not the most fun or addictive, but they're so well put together that each game is a masterpiece.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2010, 12:23:28 pm »

Digimon World 1 was always fun for me but Dwarf Fortress is my favorite.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2010, 01:19:33 pm »

MHFU (hundreds of hours logged).
Yeah, Pandar. You only put participating in Mafia off because of that game about a dozen times.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2010, 01:20:03 pm »

Digimon World 1
*nostalgic heart attack*
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2010, 01:29:22 pm »

I don't think I've personally experienced many glitches in DF. Not that I can think of right now anyway.
Boiling Freezing Leather.
Acid Rain.
Planepacked.
Spontaneous Water Freezing. (?)

Planepacked doesn't count, that's not a glitch any of us have experienced except the creator.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2010, 02:29:20 pm »

Some of ye olde titles, you guys do the new stuff :

Tetris
Lemmings
Pushover
Elite
Privateer
Super Mario 64 will always be the best one of the series for me.
California Games II on the Amiga, oh how I loved thee.
Carrier Command
Stunt Island
Ecstatica. I can't sleep at night ever since.
Full Throttle
Larry Leisure in the Land of the Lounge Lizards
Any one of those TRON games, with those Bikes, youknowwhatImean.
Flight Unlimited

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2010, 02:52:34 pm »

Planscape Torment - awesome story
Nethack - i like to suffer
Dwarf Fortress - duh!
Devil May Cry 1&3 - fast paced action
Dungeon Crawl - lots of variety

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2010, 03:16:29 pm »

Hands down it's gotta be Pokemon.

Only game that's kept my interest for over eleven years.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2010, 03:37:06 pm »

Hands down it's gotta be Pokemon.

Only game that's kept my interest for over eleven years.
If you will get past its appearance its quite good game though I always (even when I was kid so no "but its a game for kids" bs  :P)  had huge problem with it, its sooooooooooo easy it hurts and that's reason I haven't played one in long time, not because its game for kids and it feels embarrassing, its just boring. Not only 5 years old play it, some higher difficulty mode would be nice to keep my interest in series. One hitting everything no matter if its gym boss and my attack isn't effective takes away all the fun from game.

Also people may have missed this part from OP:
I'm going to leave out Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate 2, Cave Story etc because they're damn obvious and people will just groan and go, "WELL THAT'S OBVIOUS YOU CONSTANTLY REPEATING BASTARD YOU SOUND LIKE A BROKEN RECORD etc" because people get angry.

So here is my pick: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stunts_%28video_game%29

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2010, 03:46:06 pm »

Some of my eternal favorites (excluding Dwarf Fortress on purpose as it's too easy to guess i like it a lot or i would not even be there :D) , there's more but my memory is not what it used to be ;)

5 NON PC
-Street Fighters 2 (coin op)
i discovered this in a pub the last year of education before starting university, i can't count how much time with a group of friends we wasted in this pub in tournaments with Street Fighters 2.
-Daley Thompson's Decathlon (cpc464)
it was the remake of a coin op and was an excellent short quick games when i had no time to sit down in front of the computer, strangely i never liked anymore games of this genre that were released after it.
-Way of the Exploding Fist (cpc464)
A bit similar to International Karate, but with less beat'em up feeling, despite some similarities in the stances it felt more technical. I liked that game a lot
-Phantasie III: Wrath of Nikademus (atarist)
This was a great simple RPG with a good combat system, very very difficult in the beginning as you could easily lose limbs during battles, but after a while the various survivors could gain some impressive powers. the dungeons were not random if i remember well, but it did not prevented one to replay the game many time.
-Space Shuttle Simulator (mo5)
Fantastic simulator, learned a lot about orbital concepts with it, though it was very simplified in the game, it lead me into making some researches about the subject.
No surprise that more than 20 years later my favorite PC game is Orbiter.

5 PC DOS era
-Doom
was often sick with the extreme headbob that this game was afflicted with, but so breakgrounding, so fun i couldn't just stop.
-Frontier Elite 2
never really liked the 1st Elite that i had on my cpc464 , but FE2 was so great that despite i hated the combat, i enjoyed just flying and making my own stunts around the various space and ground objects.
-Master of Orion
my favorite 4X ever, very replayable and always fun to play now in DOSBox, i have always been amazed how good the AI actually was, as long of course you didn't use some exploit.
-Darklands
a medieval dark age atmosphere incredibly well rendered despite the pixelised screens. A very good system for its time and the freeform feel (despite a few story mission) made this the best RPG i ever play on a computer.
-Daggerfall
Ah Daggerfall, so high were my expectation after reading so many enthousiastic articles about it on magazines that i felt a bit disapointed once i bought it. But it was a temporary disapointement, as i played with this for years.

5 PC windows era
-Orbiter
That serious space simulator is basically the answer to everything i dreamed about space flight. A sandbox the size of the solar system with realism at every kind of level. Can't get enough of it and the billions of addons available.
-Operation Flashpoint
More than the excellent and numerous addons and mods, it was the mission editor included in this game that got me hooked for nearly a decade, and despite there are more upgraded version (arma/arma2) i continue to play with it and toy around the very varied modding work.
-Heroes of Might&Magic 3
How much time i have spent playing either the campaigns, standalone/random scenarios, i can't count anymore, one of the finest game i ever played, difficult to be bored with a lot of replayability.
-Delta Force
the voxel engine was at its finest level for this, each of the hundred of mission included had hundred of of different way to attack, and despite the AI was frankly incredibly stupid it was fun trying to get on some perfect sniping point unoticed. The MP side even got me into a squad and the tournament leagues, something no other game managed to lead me into.
-Rainbow Six
Ah R6, that awesome mission planner, lots of time spent in trying to get the perfect plan jsut to have it wasted because an AI was not exactly where you needed it to be.
I loved it and even bought its sequel Rogue Spear without a problem, today i even continue to play the original old Ghost Recon, the "spiritual son" of Rainbow Six and Rogue Spear, too bad it had no more a plan phase, but the action is always worth it.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 03:48:39 pm by Robsoie »

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2010, 03:56:53 pm »

For me it'd be:

Ground Control: Good RTT game with excellent story line and atmosphere. Also one of the few strategy games I've played that has friendly fire.

Sacred (+ expansion): Run of the mill Diablo II clone that didn't take itself seriously without detracting from the game's atmosphere in any way. Also had quite an interesting way of handling skills and abilities (Skills would affect your abilities and statistics and you could raise them upon leveling up. Abilities could also be leveled up, but that requires a rune that you can either find or craft out of runes you don't need) 

Divine Divinity: Bit of a Diablo II clone. I loved exploring the world in that game, even more so then in Morrowind. The makers didn't shun tossing around a bit of social critique hither and tither too.

Devil May Cry 3: Even though I have shitty PC port, I still love it.

Rainbow Six 2 and 3 (Never played the first one or the Vegas series): I loved meticulous planning the path my team would take, slowly moving up trough the level and then, when everything was set: open the door and BAM BAM BAM! Tango Down! No other FPS has ever rewarded me that much for killing someone or gave me the idea that I really was in danger. The auto-head shot mechanic is actually a plus to me, because that means enemies can be really mean and deadly without being unfair.

Mechwarior 2, 3 and 4 (played only mech 4 vengeance though): Each one of them is excellent, though I was a bit estranged by the changes made to how mechs work in 4.

Kohan 2: plagued by imbalanced races and without a really interesting storyline, but skirmishes are very cool. It combines 4X elements with squad-based combat, taking the headache of micromanaging your armies out of the equation. It also has a world to explore every game, with all kinds of bounty to find before the enemies do.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2010, 05:00:05 pm »

For non MMOs I judge 'best' by hours spent playing and number of times I have beaten the game:

In no order my top 10 are

Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy VI
Fallout 1
Planscape Torment
Super Metroid
Diablo
Balders Gate
Deus Ex
Daggerfall 3
Xcom
Err... Daggerfall 3 you mean Morrowind right?
my awesome games
-----------------------
command and conquer series
halo 1&2 (3 sucked and was full of cheap swearing 9
year olds)
Starcraft(don't fck'd with SC2 blizzard)
Warcraft
Sims 2
Simcity(i love blowing shitty buildings up)
Advent Rising (noted by my avatar)

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2010, 05:39:25 pm »

Advent Rising (noted by my avatar)

it is sad, there will never be the second and third episode. if they at least released the story as novel or comic or something.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2010, 05:41:11 pm »

Balders Gate
I also really like Planescape Tournament. Just joking, no offense. I'm doing lots of typos myself.

I have another game: Monster Rancher 2 for Psx. It is little bit like pokemanz but its much more complex.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2010, 05:51:46 pm »

first of all: dragonquest XIII: journey of the cursed king

veeery fun

zelda: OoT, wind waker and TP
mario:mario kart(n64) super mario 64, super mario sunshine,super mario(SNES w/ yoshi) super mario world 1 & 3 (two kinda sucks :/)
PIKMIN 1(ok)& 2(ownage)
glover for N64(had to use major cheats to beat it
legendary for ps3
civilization  III (want civ V when it comes out)

HOLY SHART! i forgot the most imporantest!
BANJO TOOIE : DDDDDDDDDDDDDD :D
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 05:54:46 pm by ricky »
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15