Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: Best Games You've Ever Played?  (Read 23158 times)

Pathos

Best Games You've Ever Played?
« on: July 16, 2010, 03:07:58 pm »

To counterbalance the negativity created by my Worst Games You've Ever Played? thread, I'm creating this one.

I'm going to leave out Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate 2, Cave Story etc because they're damn obvious and people will just groan and go, "WELL THAT'S OBVIOUS YOU CONSTANTLY REPEATING BASTARD YOU SOUND LIKE A BROKEN RECORD etc" because people get angry.

Now, one of the best games I've ever played was Viva Piñata. The open sandbox, gorgeous visuals (really, they're amazing) and crap tonnes of content meant I played it for quite some time before getting bored and realising I was probably playing a child's game. Still, though, delicious, delicious candy. It was basically like a pretty poor man's Creatures.

Speaking of Creatures, that game series was a trailbrazer of... It's own? Nothing ever followed after it, not truly anyway, and I think it's left a massive hole in the market that's just begging to be filled.

So, what're the best games you guys've ever played?

PS. Try not to include any of Tarn's games, or I'll beat you. He's an amazing developer, otherwise we wouldn't all be here. But I think this list would be far too dominated by LCS and Dwarf Fortress if I allowed you ladies to have your way. :p
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 05:34:09 pm by Toady One »

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Best Games You've Ever Played?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 03:11:33 pm »

Starseige: Tribes
 You'll never get me to say otherwise.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 03:12:40 pm »

Fairly certain its because of nostalgia, but Dungeon Keeper and Tiberian Sun.

Those games pretty much set my game preferences. You can trace Dungeon Keeper to Dwarf Fortress too.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 03:15:28 pm »

Animal Crossing, Fallout 3, Oblivion are some of my favooooouritesssssh

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 03:17:29 pm »

X-com, x-com, x-com.

To the point that I've been plotting a DF-flavored "sequel" to the series. No, the afterfoo games don't count.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Bardum Idith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 03:18:08 pm »

Dwarf Fortress. Beat me   :P

And Gothic 1. I think I played it through 4 or 5 times  :D

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 03:21:29 pm »

I don't think I can ever be consistent on that. There are many that battle for that position every time the question is posed. Right now, I'd say Deus Ex, To celebrate it's ten year anniversary I replayed it, It's still an amazing game.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 03:27:26 pm »

Dwarf Fortress, before all.

I loved the Zelda series for quite a while, favorites were OoT and The Wind Waker.
I played Animal Crossing for two years straight as a little kid.
GTA IV had the most replayablility value of any Xbox 360 game I've owned. Red Dead Redemption has beautiful graphics.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 03:31:09 pm »

Legend of Zelda; Ocarina of Time, Medieval II, X-COM, Oblivion, Pokemon (Ruby, Sapphire, Platinum, HeartGold), and Super Mario Role Playing Game, Legend of the Seven Stars.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

mothra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 03:33:27 pm »

masters of orion 2

tried going back and playing it.And I don't think it held up real well.still nothing but fond memories.

colonization

I remember seeing this game in a magazine when i was 10 our so.didn't play it till I was 18-20.but what a fun game,I spent days just restarting learning the rules and best tactics.I just bought the remake.

dungeon keeper

"it's the witching hour,spells half off" just a great game,planning rooms,slapping people.

star wars battlefront 2

could never get multiplayer to work right but fun game.

jedi outcast

boyah.

ohh and xcom,mech warrior 3(i think),mario 64,harvest moon

« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 03:35:12 pm by mothra »

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 03:33:51 pm »

zelda: OOT, Rome total war, Company of Heroes, Mario 64, Morrowind, cossacks european wars, super smash brothers, mario kart, battlefield 1942 and 2.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 04:11:29 pm »

Light of Altair, space strategy game. Dear god I hope someone makes a fan-sequel or Saint XI is making a sequel. It was a masterpiece, graphics were completely fine, Storyline was better than most games, and the economy part of the game was wonderful.

Evilgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 04:16:20 pm »

Hate me all you want for it, but Majora's Mask is better than Oot.  :P

I agree.

At either rate, mine would be a massive tie up between EVERY FREAKING GOOD SNES GAME EVER.
Just try me with this, Super Metroid, A link to the Past, Demon's crest, Megaman X, the list goes on. And they are all glorious.

Power Stone two.
Cave Story.
Or Majora's mask.

They're all great so they can all be friends.

Edit: Fuck.
All of that stuff above?
Forget I said it.

The best game ever is Ico.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 04:23:11 pm by Evilgrim »

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 04:24:21 pm »

Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door
I really keep having cravings to replay that game despite having no clue which system it was for or where my disc for it is.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 04:27:55 pm »

Super Smash Bros. The first one. It's so much fun me and my friends picked it up a month or two ago and played it for hours at one of their birthday parties. And it was their 16th. I think that says something about the nostalgic quality.

Beyond that, well, I've beaten Mass Effect 2 five times now, so I assume that qualifies it.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15