Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tune World Gen z-lvls for FPS - *SPOILERS*  (Read 1070 times)

Kav

• Bay Watcher
  • b-C-w
    • View Profile
Tune World Gen z-lvls for FPS - *SPOILERS*
« on: July 16, 2010, 02:14:32 pm »

I need to know how to cut *way* down on z-levels. I suspect that where my fps drain is coming from. In 40d I would have 100 fps till at least 20 dwarfs at 6x6 embark. In 31 I embark with 50 on a flat plain 4x4. I need to know more about what the world gen parameters are to experiment with this.

Details within
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tune World Gen z-lvls for FPS - *SPOILERS*
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 03:20:53 pm »

no need to spoiler it you have spoilers written in the thread title... just sayin...

Last time I reduced cave layers to 1 I ended up in a plump helmetless world... I was appalled, having two cavern layers fixes this. Also removing the magma layer will take away all magma from the generated world, no volcanos, no pools (if those even still exist), so if you can live without it than go for it.

The HFS layer will really only affect you if you breach the blueness. So removal won't matter all that much anyway.

Although you can make the caves shorter by reducing the numbers for maximum and minimum natural cave size, I think thats what determines the height of the caves. And keeping all the Z_levels_above_layer_x numbers at their minimums also.

s20dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 03:27:15 pm »

Although you can make the caves shorter by reducing the numbers for maximum and minimum natural cave size, I think thats what determines the height of the caves......

I think that the natural cave setting refers to the Caves that contain monster civs and kobolds. As I tweaked those settings once and every cave I found in adventure mode was much larger than it would normally be.

I'm currently on a world with 1 cavern layer for FPS reasons, the lack of plump helmets just makes it an interesting challenge :)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 03:37:57 pm »

"Caves" are little hills with an entrance in one side. They have some twisty passages inside. Megabeasts and semimegabeasts can live in them, and they generally have entrances to the caverns at the bottom.

"Tunnels" are long, straight tunnels through mountains built by the dwarves during worldgen between their mountain sites.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Kav

• Bay Watcher
  • b-C-w
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 03:43:23 pm »

That immediately fixed the fps problem. Though the lack of magma is a problem. Perhaps I'll try it with the other 2 layers on and just 1 cavern layer and see what happens. I did not have your plump helmet problem.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 03:55:17 pm »

I need to know how to cut *way* down on z-levels. I suspect that where my fps drain is coming from. In 40d I would have 100 fps till at least 20 dwarfs at 6x6 embark. In 31 I embark with 50 on a flat plain 4x4. I need to know more about what the world gen parameters are to experiment with this.

Try to not discover the caverns? They're a big area to pathfind. A sure way to get low FPS is to have a 6x6 embark. I don't think worldgen matters much except in how much surface area your discovered caverns have.

Here's some data from my quadcore 2.4 GHz Vista machine:

155 fps, 3x3 embark, 43 citizens, 0+30 animals, no caverns.
117 fps, 3x3 embark, 61 citizens, 2+34 animals, no caverns.

107 fps, 4x4 embark, 39 citizens, 2+13 animals, caverns with serpentfolk.

260 fps, 2x2 embark, 42 citizens, 0+8 animals, no caverns not much mining tunnels.

240 fps, 3x3 embark, 10 citizens, 0+1 animals, no caverns.
122 fps, 3x3 embark, 38 citizens, 0+28 animals, no caverns. 2 caravans.

140 fps, 3x2 embark, 38 citizens, 1+18 animals, no caverns.
76 fps, 3x2 embark, 73 citizens, 2+48 animals, two cavern layers.
55 fps, 3x2 embark, 98 citizens, 5+98 animals, 3 cavern layers. Restricted to burrows.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 04:13:43 pm »

Seems cavers aren't what drop your FPS. Kill the animals. Too many Pathfinding AIs.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 05:03:21 pm »

Flowing liquids, lots of animals, and narrow passages kill FPS.

Avoid these issues and your FPS should be quite high even in a very large fortress. There really isn't much need to farm animals either. If you need meat you can just import it from caravans. Dwarven and human caravans bring huge piles of meat on their own anyways. You can also make goblins to be butcherable by editing civ ethics, and so that is plenty of meat, fat, leather, and bones to work with.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 05:22:22 pm »

Last time I reduced cave layers to 1 I ended up in a plump helmetless world... I was appalled, having two cavern layers fixes this.

It doesn't happen every time, and sometimes it is other plants.  My custom worldgen has 1 cavern layer and I occasionally run into the problem of various underground plants being missing, in those cases I just gen another world (helps that it is a small world and gens pretty fast).
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 12:14:24 pm »

Now I'm having a one-cavern-layer world.

177 fps, 4x2 embark, 32 citizens, 0+11 animals, 1 cavern layer, magma sea bottom, caravans. 56k wealth.
135 fps, 4x2 embark, 48 citizens, 0+21 animals, 1 cavern layer, magma sea bottom. 327k wealth.
125 fps, 4x2 embark, 45 citizens, 0+19 animals, 1 cavern layer, magma sea bottom. 481k wealth.

10 fps less with less people and animals. I guess lowering itemcount and walling off the caverns would help fps.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884