Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 35

Author Topic: Worst Games You've Ever Played?  (Read 49479 times)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worst Games You've Ever Played?
« Reply #300 on: August 19, 2010, 12:49:34 pm »

To be completely honest, I thought World of Warcraft was actually one of the worst games I ever played, and I played some utter bullshit in my time :D

Seein how many customers they have it's quite hard to say that without angering at least somebody...

I love a bit of grind, I love a bit of repetitive, I love (some) mmos, but WoW was just pushing it. I mean, I really liked the friggin style, the "artwork" is really cool, if you ask me. I saw that game, heard how everybody loved it, dove into it, and just HAD to stop, because it made me mighty sick beyond description.

I dont know, was there ever an MMO with this mindless style of repetitive quests? I tried SWG in its early stages, I tried AO, both had some pretty mindnumbing activities, but WoW just won the flowerpot. After I saw how this game took off, I was pretty fookin scared of my fellow gamers. (edit: on the contrary I really loved Ultima Online because it gave you the opportunity to actually do stuff "outside the box" and just generally enjoy yourself, doing whatever tickles your fancy. I think it was the only mumorpuger in which I actually roleplayed. In WoW even fishing gives you that Treadmill feeling that doesnt go away.)

High level, and "complex" teamwork requiring content may be funnish, but there are myriads of games which do this better, imho.

At any rate, it's not actually the worst, but for me the discrepancy between how much people like it and how much I think it should be liked is definetly the greatest when it comes to WoW.
If you'd like to see how bad MMORPGs can really get, then you need to try some free Korean MMORPG. They're so based on mind-numbing grinding you'll be wishing you were playing WoW and at least have its "Bring me X of Y." quests to keep you sane to any extent.

The best way to illustrate this is by looking at equipment prices. You'll start off earning like 1 gold every other enemy. The very best armour (which looks like shit as far as armour-value goes, btw., gold does not a good armour material make) costs in the millions or even billions. And that's your typical Korean MMO, a gold-farming bot's dream come true.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 19, 2010, 12:51:44 pm »

Of course, I completely agree, but I cant shake the feeling that some of them are actually inspired by WoW.

And even if they aren't, their customer base is a lot smaller, innit?

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 19, 2010, 01:09:46 pm »

Of course, I completely agree, but I cant shake the feeling that some of them are actually inspired by WoW.

And even if they aren't, their customer base is a lot smaller, innit?
They came to be before WoW. Then again, the newer ones might be WoW-like. That would actually be an improvement. But I wouldn't know, I avoid them these days. Last one I played misspelled the action "sit". Made it sound like a slightly different action.

I wouldn't know about customer base, though. But hey, they're free and people like free.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 19, 2010, 01:18:40 pm »

Okay I see people complaing about Fallout 3 and Oblivion.  They aren't bad games.  Maybe not your cup of tea.  I can respect that but the mechanics aren't that awful. 

Now lets talk about some truly terrible games.  Where's Waldo for the NES.  I had the misfortune of owning it.  The game was near impossible and had an annoying repetitive BG music.  Also I did end up beating it on Normal difficulty.  Perhaps a testament to my own sadomasochism.

Next up, Final Fantasy 13.  I'd heard some good things about it, but I now want to know what those good things are.  I'm on the 2nd of 3 discs and I'm still in a tutorial.  A boring and super linear tutorial.  You walk down a single hallway and fight the monsters that are in front of you.  There is literally nothing else too it.  That is not good game design there, that is in fact, bad game design.  The tutorial should be an hour tops.  Plus the inventory is a joke.  Not being able to control any other party members is like a giant step backwards. 

Another one, Lords of the Realm 1.  The game has a terrible user interface.  There is no tutorial or into missions so the learning curve is just a brick wall.  Makes me wonder how they got Lords of the Realm 2 if the first one was so abysmally bad.  Not that I'm complaining because Lords of the Realm 2 was a really fun game. Although once you learned the power of the pikeman and how to exploit your archers it's pretty trivial.

I enjoyed oblivion, but theres no denying its a horribly broken game. Some of the fundamental mechanics of the game just don't work properly. I enjoyed fallout less, but I know many people who would argue with you for hours about how bad a game it is.

Finaly fantasy 13 is just fucking horrible though. I played through the 30 odd hours tutorial because people kept telling me "it opens up after a while and you can do what you want." What they meant to say was that after 30 hours of linear corridors, the game opens up for about 10 hours then puts you back on the corridor. I honestly do not understand how anyone could enjoy that game.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 20, 2010, 06:39:11 am »

Any Wrestling game:They all pretty much have the same game mechanics and are just like real wrestling,poorly scripted and none of the hits connect.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 20, 2010, 06:44:30 am »

Any Wrestling game:They all pretty much have the same game mechanics and are just like real wrestling,poorly scripted and none of the hits connect.

I really wish they'd make a wrestling game that was more like actual wrestling. None of this bullshit focus on "realism" and toning down all the spectacular moves or pretending that it's real fighting, but focused instead on giving the crowd a proper show, good scripting of matches, managing a roster of temperamental prima donnas, that kind of thing.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 20, 2010, 06:47:26 am »

I really wish they'd make a wrestling game that was more like actual wrestling. None of this bullshit focus on "realism" and toning down all the spectacular moves or pretending that it's real fighting, but focused instead on giving the crowd a proper show, good scripting of matches, managing a roster of temperamental prima donnas, that kind of thing.
Yeah,I forgot to mention all of the ones that i've seen have terrible A.I,all the A.I does is runs toward you and punches you.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 20, 2010, 06:58:43 am »

To be completely honest, I thought World of Warcraft was actually one of the worst games I ever played, and I played some utter bullshit in my time :D

Seein how many customers they have it's quite hard to say that without angering at least somebody...

I love a bit of grind, I love a bit of repetitive, I love (some) mmos, but WoW was just pushing it. I mean, I really liked the friggin style, the "artwork" is really cool, if you ask me. I saw that game, heard how everybody loved it, dove into it, and just HAD to stop, because it made me mighty sick beyond description.

I dont know, was there ever an MMO with this mindless style of repetitive quests? I tried SWG in its early stages, I tried AO, both had some pretty mindnumbing activities, but WoW just won the flowerpot. After I saw how this game took off, I was pretty fookin scared of my fellow gamers. (edit: on the contrary I really loved Ultima Online because it gave you the opportunity to actually do stuff "outside the box" and just generally enjoy yourself, doing whatever tickles your fancy. I think it was the only mumorpuger in which I actually roleplayed. In WoW even fishing gives you that Treadmill feeling that doesnt go away.)

High level, and "complex" teamwork requiring content may be funnish, but there are myriads of games which do this better, imho.

At any rate, it's not actually the worst, but for me the discrepancy between how much people like it and how much I think it should be liked is definetly the greatest when it comes to WoW.
If you'd like to see how bad MMORPGs can really get, then you need to try some free Korean MMORPG. They're so based on mind-numbing grinding you'll be wishing you were playing WoW and at least have its "Bring me X of Y." quests to keep you sane to any extent.

The best way to illustrate this is by looking at equipment prices. You'll start off earning like 1 gold every other enemy. The very best armour (which looks like shit as far as armour-value goes, btw., gold does not a good armour material make) costs in the millions or even billions. And that's your typical Korean MMO, a gold-farming bot's dream come true.
I am here with Puck. In Ultima Online you were not limited to some scripted "class abilities" and you didn't make repititive quests, no...

You were travelling around, building towns, growing flax and killing people for fun. In WoW I was bored in 3 days on grind and repetitive quests.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 07:05:24 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 20, 2010, 07:04:59 am »

The end game in WoW is actually pretty good...for a time. I had a lot of fun leading raids and strategizing their encounters....when stupid people/people who should never raid weren't sending my blood pressure through the roof. (Christ, it's not hard. Don't stand in the fire. Every fight is one variation or another on "don't stand in the fucking fire, you moron.")

It's the rest of the game that's an unmitigated grind fest. My biggest problem with WoW has been and always will be the loot though. Compared to older MMOs, the loot is fucking boring, non-unique and is designed on a sliding scale of stat values that basically makes getting new loot as interesting as flavorless gruel, which they feed to you in an unending stream to disguise the fact there's nothing else worth looking forward to.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 20, 2010, 09:35:53 am »

Any Adventure Quest game,why?Because all it is is grinding! you just sit there GRIND GRIND GRIND buy stuff GRIND GRIND get pestered by the fact that you have to be a member to do this GRIND GRIND GRIND GRIND GRIND.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 20, 2010, 09:46:02 am »

Any Adventure Quest game,why?Because all it is is grinding! you just sit there GRIND GRIND GRIND buy stuff GRIND GRIND get pestered by the fact that you have to be a member to do this GRIND GRIND GRIND GRIND GRIND.

And the graphics aren't very good, so you don't have anything to look at while grinding.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 20, 2010, 09:49:36 am »

The only time graphics really means anything is if the game is just griding,so yeah,you don't have anything to look at while grinding.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 20, 2010, 10:07:32 am »

Final Fantasy 12.

I do believe I've been over this before.
!!&!!

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 20, 2010, 11:21:48 am »

i am offended by both your comment and the mangling of the english language you call "grammar" and "spelling", sir!
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 20, 2010, 11:32:35 am »

I enjoy the Adventure Quest games, especially Dragon Fable. Sure, you have to grind a ridiculous amount to do some of the stuff in it, but for the most part things scale to your level, so you can instead just enjoy the game's sense of humor.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 35