Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 35

Author Topic: Worst Games You've Ever Played?  (Read 49529 times)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worst Games You've Ever Played?
« Reply #255 on: August 05, 2010, 04:47:08 pm »

I'm of the same opinion. The more effort you put into a game's story, the more potential chance there is that integrating the story and gameplay will be difficult. It highlights a real problem when well-written games are a rarity, but even the well-written ones aren't written in the correct manner (read: to interface properly with the game itself).

I think people need to stop thinking about writing for games as an extension of objective-driven-gameplay, and more as an integral part of the gameplay itself. A few examples of games that I can think of which did this well are the System Shock series and (to a lesser extent, for the reasons below, although it should really be a better example, in ideal circumstances) Planescape: Torment.

The danger is making this statement that gameplay and story (and whatever other elements) are a kind of see-saw wherein you maintain a balance of each one, because that isn't necessarily the case - it's a matter of approaching the situation in a different way. Taking the view that said balance exists by necessesity only leads to people making judgements based on either one critera or the other ("hey, it had no story, but it had nice gameplay", "hey, it had bad gameplay, but it had nice water effects", "hey, it had bad graphics, but the story was cool") - a good example of this occurring is Planescape, which, as I say, should really be the ideal example, but isn't, because the traditional "gameplay" (read: combat) was far worse than it needed to be. There was nothing stopping the gameplay being decent, but because it really wasn't very good, people tend to talk about the story and nothing else, even though the two interfaced nearly perfectly.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 05, 2010, 04:49:45 pm »

So you are of the opinion that story should not be the main focus of a game because it gets in the way of playing the game?

Not quite. I'm of the opinion that story often _does_ get in the way of playing the game, and this is obviously much more likely to happen if you have a lot of story.

I'm not saying it can't be done well, but it is far more often done badly, and in my view it's done badly in Deus Ex.

Fair enough. Your opinion on the game does not affect me in any way and there's no reason to argue about since the only real goal (changing your mind) is as close to impossible as anything I've ever heard  of on the internet.

So I'm not so sure what the last three pages of sarcastic replies, insults and pedantic arguments were in aid of, guys.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 05, 2010, 05:25:24 pm »

So I'm not so sure what the last three pages of sarcastic replies, insults and pedantic arguments were in aid of, guys.
We're geeks. Hopeless attempts to defend our favorite games are just what we do.

Anyway: Mirrors Edge was probably the worst game I've purchased recently. It sounded promising, and the free running IS fun... but then they throw a bunch of guards in your way that can kill you in an instant. The game doesn't seem to know whether it wants you to avoid or kill them, making one or the other next to impossible arbitrarily. The fighting is just an annoying distraction from the game's main selling point.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 05, 2010, 05:32:50 pm »

The first Dark Cloud. Mayhaps I was not playing it right, but in order to get the item shop that sells you items to repair your weapons you need to go through enough dungeon to face enough enemies to completely break your weapons before you attain the item shop. And while there were some interesting gameplay designs I found the dungeoneering to be on the boring side. Sure the second game didn't improve it much, but at least we didn't have boring caves.

Dark Cloud 2 wasn't much better. It just had more tasks to do. The dimensional gold thing was fun and the item crafting and invention system was quite interesting, but good god the dungeons were repetitive as hell and the enemies boring as cardboard. The male character is less effective on combat then the swordsman girl, but much more interesting to use, plus his alternate form is a robot you can customize, while the girl can turn into monsters, but all of these monster forms, all of them, suck really really really bad.

Also, whats up with all those clowns? Seriously though, I'm not afraid of clowns, but that game had a clown fetish thing going on. Loads of your enemies are clowns, and you can even unlock a clown costume, ugh.
I used to play that game a lot..then it was stolen in a burglary, which kinda makes me happy, looking back.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 05, 2010, 06:21:27 pm »

I think the real issue with story vs. gameplay is that they don't develop concurrently. They can't be. You need a story to plot gameplay. In the process of creating game play, you make changes because they're deemed not fun or whatever. That SHOULD require that you go back and revise the story so that it jives 100% with game play.....except then you run the risk of not telling the story you wanted to, or winding up in a paradox black hole. (Aeris, phoenix downs.)

There isn't a great solution to that. It would have to be the most over-written story in history for a storyline to perfectly account for 100% of the game's mechanics, twists and turns. It would be the eternal snake of game development, forever eating its own tail as it revises and re-revises both story and game play against each other. Retcon, anyone? That's where you end up eventually.

For example, Assassin's Creed 2:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm not saying the two can't jive.....

Planescape: Torment

But you will always have to sacrifice some immersion, some suspension of disbelief, to play a video game. If only for the fact that no video game character ever reacts to damage in a believable way. You can nitpick your objections to the nth degree, video games by their nature will provide you with an endless supply. You just have to let go at some point.

I'm not saying that's an excuse for totally incompatible gameplay and storylines...but, you know, artistic license. It's when the balance goes out of whack too far that I get annoyed (a revolutionary position, I'm sure)...but I don't crave a perfect balance. It's nearly unachievable UNLESS you throw the story under the bus to begin with. (I'm looking at you, Borderlands, you ****)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 06:38:00 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 05, 2010, 07:54:17 pm »

Daikatana.

Man, you actually played that? I feel for you.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

CrimsonKnight86

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 06, 2010, 01:08:56 am »

I'm still have to say Superman 64.

Even as a kid I recognized what a piece of flaming pile of doodoo it was.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 06, 2010, 02:35:32 am »

I played that years back,luckily I don't remember it.

Captain Alchatron

• Bay Watcher
  • The Elbow of Ragnaros
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 06, 2010, 09:55:50 am »

CoD: World at War, wii version.

You'd think they'd playtest the campaign at least once through; but apparently not, since an entire level is bugged to such a degree that no-one ever shoots at you.  For an assault on trenches that takes away quite a lot of the drama. >.>

And as for the tank battles?  Don't get me started...!  >:(
If you go up to someone and beat the hell out of them with thread, you not only defeat them, you shame them and their entire family for generations to come (providing that there are any survivors).
Various mouths were involved, and a soda can and a penny I think.

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 07, 2010, 03:42:21 am »

Extension to Universal Combat:  Anything by Derek Smart.  He's what Toady One would be if Toady One had no talent.

i think Smart needs an editor...or an executive producer...someone to constrain him.  It's a pity.  His games would be great if they were playable...i think...
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 07, 2010, 06:16:28 am »

In my opinion the sims 2 on ps2 sucked elf balls (the PC one was fun) because you cannot die,you just pass out and it is just fucking shit.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 07, 2010, 07:54:19 am »

I played that years back,luckily I don't remember it.
Sounds like repressed memories. Here's one way of remembering.

Borgle

• Bay Watcher
  • Another "Jack_Bread"
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 07, 2010, 09:57:50 am »

Two Worlds for Xbox. The game was incredibly retarded, as the characters were all cock-eyed and never actually looked straight at you. You can only be a male hunter unless you had live, which let you play whatever you want. Also, quite a few of the female models had really large shoulders. Certain animals can be easily defeated by going around them as their attack animations animated slowly. It was terrible...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 07, 2010, 10:01:10 am »

Two Worlds for Xbox. The game was incredibly retarded, as the characters were all cock-eyed and never actually looked straight at you. You can only be a male hunter unless you had live, which let you play whatever you want. Also, quite a few of the female models had really large shoulders. Certain animals can be easily defeated by going around them as their attack animations animated slowly. It was terrible...
No mention of the Narm?

Quote from: PC
Mmmm...wet!

He says that whenever you enter the water. Every. Single. Time.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

chewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 08, 2010, 05:17:19 pm »

Tekken.

I've only played two of them, but if the controls are so terrible in every one, I don't regret.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 35