Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 35

Author Topic: Worst Games You've Ever Played?  (Read 49504 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worst Games You've Ever Played?
« Reply #210 on: July 31, 2010, 06:27:39 am »

It's also a magic portal to other terrible games.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 31, 2010, 07:51:49 am »

I'll tell you another terrible game that I have played,the Bioshock games alright they were a bit fun but the first one was very short and easy at times and also got easier as it went on and also who else guessed the major plot twist?the 2nd one is pretty much the same just without the free roam element and the annoyance of dying the moment you step out of one of those chambers that resurects you.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 31, 2010, 08:01:10 am »

I'll tell you another terrible game that I have played,the Bioshock games alright they were a bit fun but the first one was very short and easy at times and also got easier as it went on and also who else guessed the major plot twist?the 2nd one is pretty much the same just without the free roam element and the annoyance of dying the moment you step out of one of those chambers that resurects you.

The first one was a well done dumbed-down version of system shock 2, that still managed to be quite fun to play through. Pretty much everyone guessed the twist because it's the same exact one they had in system shock 2.

Bioshock 2 on the other hand is a completely pointless game, that adds nothing to the world of the first one, has some small minor gameplay improvements at the expense of any real sense of reason or meaning. I actually kinda think it lessens the first game simply by existing.

It's the video game equivalent of the new Karate Kid film. A needless addition to the franchise that adds nothing and screws up all the things that made the first one great, made solely to line someones pockets.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 31, 2010, 09:52:14 am »

Also Big Sisters on the 2nd one were just an annoyance not a threat,really they are only dangerous if you are wounded.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 31, 2010, 06:33:42 pm »

I dunno. The WC3 and TFT campaigns were fun. Single player against the computer, on the other hand, blew chunks, the computer was way too damn good. Online mode, especially before WoW (after that, for some reason all the american servers were inundated with Korean players who, despite ping upwards of 300, could still kick everyone's ass). But even for the full box price it was still worth it for the single player. Multi-player was just the cake to go with the icing.

Darwinia is probably the most recent bad game I played. I could be wrong, I never got through the first level. The walkthrough was darn near useless, there was no backstory or even explanation. It was frustrating. Which is a shame, I've heard it was very good, but I guess it's not my type of game.

Well, you could change the computer's difficulty. And vanilla WC3's AIs were beatable. TFT's "insane AI" was nasty, through. 2v2 with you and an insane AI vs 2 insane AIs were more balanced, however.

Now for my pet peeve, of a popular game that I disliked:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
seriously, I found the gameplay hollow as a halloween pumpkin. It had no depth as either a a tactical game, a war game, or a building game because all those aspects were simplified too damn much.
The spinoffs, however
were far better in those aspects.
as they had far more gameplay aspects, far more indeep.

EU III is a whole lot better. Vanilla, it's good. With the first two expansions, great. With the first two expansions and mods, amazing. There is something pleasing about uniting northern Germany and becoming emperor, while converting to protestantism and allying with other protestant nations, such as France. EUII is supposedly much more on-rails than EUIII.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

bloodnok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 05, 2010, 02:19:52 am »

Not sure I can do _worst_ worst. I grew up at a point where I've played random friends' ZX81 homebrew.

For movies, it's not so bad; say "cinematic release" and "Manos: the Hands of Fate" shakes out as comfortably the worst movie ever. But it's not like you can say "must have a paid-money release" for videogames; that excludes more than a few gems close to our hearts (and, even if we did, I doubt I could pick the _worst_ from the 8-bit days).

So I'm going to pick Deus Ex as a game which, while merely ordinarily bad, is so overhyped that it may be the game with the largest gap between reputation and actual quality ever. Hell, I find myself playing Deus Ex every few years, even though abstractly I remember it stinks; when you aren't playing it, you can remember the game it wanted to be, and gradually nostalgia takes over.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 05, 2010, 03:18:59 am »

I liked Deus Ex. IMO it's the ur-example of implementing a story in a fps properly. Granted, said story became altogether too confusing by the end of the game, though. Particularily since the makers seemed undecided as to what was really behind the whole ordeal (
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 03:20:46 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

bloodnok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 05, 2010, 03:30:12 am »

I liked Deus Ex. IMO it's the ur-example of implementing a story in a fps properly.

Absolutely not, I would say. Deus Ex chokes you on reams of exposition, when what you're there to do is play a videogame. It's one of the many things that's wrong with the game.

That kind of thing can sometimes be got away with when the backstory is genuinely engaging and well written, but Deus Ex's mismash of every conspiracy theory they could drag up doesn't qualify. In particular, when you start a game working for a vaguely fascist one-world government, the only thing that could possibly count as a plot twist is if you _don't_ betray them and change sides at some point.

I'd count good examples of story in FPSes as games like Doom - no, really, the story establishes your motivation and then leaves you to get on with it - or Half-Life 1, where although something's going on it's established without reading walls of text.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 05, 2010, 03:34:34 am »

Here is another terrible game Guitar Hero,all you do is click buttons to songs .
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 05:16:59 am by Dwarf mc dwarf »

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 05, 2010, 04:43:57 am »

Here is another terrible game Gutiar Hero,all you do is click buttons to songs .
Actually that's how I feel about it. I don't really see anything fun in it. If I wanted to play guitar I would go with real thing.

So I'm going to pick Deus Ex
Heresy!
Ok honestly I don't get what your problem with Deus Ex is. Its strongest point isn't story (which is quite good, so what if its just generic conspiracy theory?) but how much freedom player is given to go around his business. That is what makes it fun. You always have some kind of choice.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 05, 2010, 04:57:38 am »

I am going to add any demo or trial that doesn't tell you it is a demo or trial is automatically one of the Worst games I ever played no matter HOW great the demo was.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 05, 2010, 05:13:04 am »

-
or Half-Life 1, where although something's going on it's established without reading walls of text.
you jest.  One of the highpoints of Deus Ex over half life is precisedly that there are reasonable pauses inbetween events, whereas Half Life tried to put the story without pause, which I feel acted against "suspension of disbelief" so to speak (in a way, the style sort of reminds me of the ancient greek theatre).

I wont even comment on Doom 2 as an example of "FPS with a plot".
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 05, 2010, 05:33:48 am »

Man, Doom 2 had all the plot it needed.

You are in hell. Kill everything. Get the fuck out.

See? All that matters (in an FPS).
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 05, 2010, 06:09:17 am »

Great Ghiana Sisters

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 05, 2010, 06:16:11 am »

Man, Doom 2 had all the plot it needed.

You are in hell. Kill everything. Get the fuck out.

See? All that matters (in an FPS).
It had an excuse plot which served Doom's purpose perfectly. But it's certainly NOT a shining example of storytelling in a fps
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 35